Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2017, 23:56   #46

Boat: Albin Vega
Re: Berth Lengths for Albin Vega, Rawson 30, Alberg 30 and the like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVagrant View Post
The first Vega I found was via Craigslist, and the second was a man that I had come to know due to our mutual interest in Vegas. The four primary sources you should use are:

- Craigslist
- Albin Vega Facebook Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/169639133073151/)
- Albin Vega Yahoo Group (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AlbinVega/info)
- YachtWorld

I recommend becoming members of both the Yahoo group and Facebook group, then make a post on each explaining what you're looking for (the Yahoo group especially), how far you're willing to travel and for how much. As with anything, there are bound to be people who have been sitting on their Vega, ready to sell but without the motivation to do so. You might be able to shake some capitalism out of them.

Regarding modifications to my boat, check out my page here: Blue Water Albin Vega | American Vagrant

It will explain most of what has been done. You can also see my "To Do list" for what's in the plans. The mast support was modified on both of my Vegas, easy and relatively inexpensive project. I'm using a remote control outboard, so used the space where the inboard once was for my Engel fridge/freezer (by far my favorite modification). If you end up with an inboard, it's still possible to install an Engel top-loading fridge/freezer into the location of the galley ice box.

For more info on this process, see: S/V Blue Max

You can contact Ric, he's a very nice guy.

Regarding the cockpit size, the stock drains are very large, but apparently someone felt the need to supplement them, as mine has an additional 1.5" drain added. I had read that the stock drainage was adequate.
Hey thanks again for the post, I will check out those groups and links. I'm thrilled you are able to run a fridge/freezer on your vega I am most likely going to do the same, you can only eat so much pork and beans.

Finally saw a local Vega tied up to a dock sails removed looking rough around the edges. I texted the owner but no reply. Never seen one up close before, I love it! Nothing else will do. I get the impression it'd be less likely to hobbyhorse than an Alberg 30 since there's no stern overhang. Looks like a well thought out boat!

Just curious, the shrouds look so thin and the mast too, what do you think it'd cost to replace all the shrouds/stays and the mast? I bet its reasonable. How about new sails?

Hope you're having a good one
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 02:11   #47

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVagrant View Post
The first Vega I found was via Craigslist, and the second was a man that I had come to know due to our mutual interest in Vegas. The four primary sources you should use are:

- Craigslist
- Albin Vega Facebook Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/169639133073151/)
- Albin Vega Yahoo Group (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AlbinVega/info)
- YachtWorld

I recommend becoming members of both the Yahoo group and Facebook group, then make a post on each explaining what you're looking for (the Yahoo group especially), how far you're willing to travel and for how much. As with anything, there are bound to be people who have been sitting on their Vega, ready to sell but without the motivation to do so. You might be able to shake some capitalism out of them.

Regarding modifications to my boat, check out my page here: Blue Water Albin Vega | American Vagrant

It will explain most of what has been done. You can also see my "To Do list" for what's in the plans. The mast support was modified on both of my Vegas, easy and relatively inexpensive project. I'm using a remote control outboard, so used the space where the inboard once was for my Engel fridge/freezer (by far my favorite modification). If you end up with an inboard, it's still possible to install an Engel top-loading fridge/freezer into the location of the galley ice box.

For more info on this process, see: S/V Blue Max

You can contact Ric, he's a very nice guy.

Regarding the cockpit size, the stock drains are very large, but apparently someone felt the need to supplement them, as mine has an additional 1.5" drain added. I had read that the stock drainage was adequate.

hey I just checked out your site, I like how you write, it's funny Cool photos too. Where in the world are you these days? Heading off soon to the wild blue?
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 18:32   #48

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
hey I just checked out your site, I like how you write, it's funny Cool photos too. Where in the world are you these days? Heading off soon to the wild blue?
Yo KN, thank you and I'm glad you like the site. I've just sent you a PM.

Tags
alberg, alberg 30, Albin Vega, rawson