Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2015, 19:56   #1

Boat: Bemeteau b40 2010
Beneteau oceanis 48

Halloween everyone! I'm about to order my new boat, but I m wondering on the noise of the 7.5 kva generator? Anyone as Been using it? Do You know any concern on this model?
e-dumouc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 06:52   #2

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter
Re: Beneteau oceanis 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-dumouc View Post
Halloween everyone! I'm about to order my new boat, but I m wondering on the noise of the 7.5 kva generator? Anyone as Been using it? Do You know any concern on this model?
We have an 8kW Kohler in a sound shield (Taswell 49) and it is quiet, but not like dock power. It is a 3 cylinder, running at 1800 RPM ? Are you talking generator model or just boat model ?

My wife was really concerned about it, so we requested the owners put the sound shield back on for the sea trial so we could get a baseline. Some boats are louder that we have been aboard, but it depends on brand of generator, as well as sound insulation, hull mounting, # cylinders and gen RPM. And to crank it up, usually it takes a contract/deposit/sea trial arrangement.

If buying one new, I'm surprised you haven't been able to arrange through the agents a visit on a similar boat with one.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 18:55   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Just got my sense 50. When I turn on the generator I have to turn off air conditioner because the wind noise is greater than generator sound and I can't hear when it has started. If behind engine like sense it is incredibly quite with underwater exhaust.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 06:25   #4

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
Just got my sense 50. When I turn on the generator I have to turn off air conditioner because the wind noise is greater than generator sound and I can't hear when it has started. If behind engine like sense it is incredibly quite with underwater exhaust.

Generator exhaust is fully underwater ? That would create a lot of bubbles, no ? How do you check for proper water flow through the exhaust at start-up ? All it takes is a little floating grocery store (Vons-Ralphs-Safeway) bag to clog it, you know..

Which generator do you have ?
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 07:44   #5

Onan generator. No bubbles. The gas is separated from the water somehow. The generator has several trips to shut it down including low water flow. I'm just learning it so lets hope someone more knowledable responds. The keys to a long life generator I have been told is to run it hard and run it often. The sequence I was taught is to start it and run it under no load, then fire up most of the onboard systems including the air conditioner. Although my air conditioner is quieter than most as the compressor is actually in the stern and only the fan units are in the cabin I can't hear the generator with the air running. As a result, I am hoping the automatic shutdown works.
Old 23-06-2015, 07:54   #6

By the way. Mine was factory installed and I think you may want to go that way too. The only major system my dealer thought we might do better on here is the watermaker. I went with the factory one. Sort of wish I went with Spectra instead, but haven't used it yet. The factory install is quite good, but I think some of the installation of items a bit goofy. The water manifold tank selection switch, for example, is in a locker that requires you to enter the locker. The propane solenoid switch is in the back of a locker and a bit difficult to get to. There is no room for a full size propane tank on the Sense. I don't think that is a propblem on the Oceanis 48. None of these minor issues would have changed my decision, however.
Old 26-06-2015, 08:06   #7

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 45

I have an Oceanis 45 with the 7.5kv factory installed generator. Noise is not too bad. Zzmeyer is right they do put some things in strange places. My water manifold is under the salon dinette seat (my wife hates it there). The start switch and breakers for the generator are mounted in the starboard aft stateroom on the port wall above the bed. My battery charger is in the same staterooms hanging locker.

Love the boat with no buyers remorse after a year
Ala Moana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:52   #8

We took delivery of a 2015 Oceanis 48 and the 7.5kw Cummings Onan generator is reasonably well insulated. When it is running, you don't hear it at all in the master berth. It is located under the port steering station, so in the port aft cabin, its pretty loud. As others have said, switches and manifolds are in awkward places on the boat, but overall love it.

NYCSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 02:07   #9

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
Onan generator. No bubbles. The gas is separated from the water somehow. The generator has several trips to shut it down including low water flow. I'm just learning it so lets hope someone more knowledable responds. The keys to a long life generator I have been told is to run it hard and run it often. The sequence I was taught is to start it and run it under no load, then fire up most of the onboard systems including the air conditioner. Although my air conditioner is quieter than most as the compressor is actually in the stern and only the fan units are in the cabin I can't hear the generator with the air running. As a result, I am hoping the automatic shutdown works.
The way your generator exhaust is connected is as follows:
The wet exhaust goes into a separator. The water from that separator then falls out of the separator and goes straight down an underwater thru-hull. The exhaust gas (now dry and cool) then goes through an above-water thru-hull. You may also have another wet line from the syphon break dribbling water through a small above-water thru-hull as a tell-tale.

I agree, that the generator is very quiet - just a very faint hum (ours is a Cummins Onan 6.5kVA)
David B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis