Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2024, 09:49   #46

Re: Bavaria vs Jeanneau vs Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold_sailing View Post
Yeah, I don't want a big boat, but I know that my admiral will be miserable in a small one, so I'll go in between, around 50 feet.
50 feet is the "go between" LOL My how times have changed. just a short 20 years ago a 50' boat would be considered a monster !!

Also be aware, that in some areas, the second you go above 50' boat you are limiting yourself in options and locations to get dock space and moorings .
tsenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 10:00   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenator View Post
50 feet is the "go between" LOL My how times have changed. just a short 20 years ago a 50' boat would be considered a monster !!

Also be aware, that in some areas, the second you go above 50' boat you are limiting yourself in options and locations to get dock space and moorings .
We went from 37' to 51'. Dock and mooring access were greatly limited. In our regular cruising ground between the Great Lakes and Bahamas We also lost many of our favourite anchorages.

Now that we've been back to 38' for the last 9 years ... We got back everything that we'd lost.
Old 20-03-2024, 10:13   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
We went from 37' to 51'. Dock and mooring access were greatly limited. In our regular cruising ground between the Great Lakes and Bahamas We also lost many of our favourite anchorages.

Now that we've been back to 38' for the last 9 years ... We got back everything that we'd lost.
14’ boat length difference made it impossible to anchor there? I wouldn’t dare to anchor in those tight spots regardless of boat length !

Edit: our marina minimum slip length is 55’

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 12:29   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
14’ boat length difference made it impossible to anchor there? I wouldn’t dare to anchor in those tight spots regardless of boat length !

Edit: our marina minimum slip length is 55’
There are many hundreds, maybe thousands of small, tight anchorages in the Great Lakes, Eastern seaboard, ICW and Bahamas where 1,2,3 or 4 36-38' boats fill the anchorage. 51' just does not work in those and we prefer them to the 200 boat anchorages. We've been anchring in those places for 30 years without issue and without obnoxious neighbours.
Old 20-03-2024, 12:39   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
There are many hundreds, maybe thousands of small, tight anchorages in the Great Lakes, Eastern seaboard and Bahamas where 1,2,3 or 4 36-38' boats fill the anchorage. 51' just does not work in those.
So 14’ extra length doesn’t fit? Don’t you find that risky with a 38 footer?

Old 21-03-2024, 09:42   #51

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
It's just not necessarily the length but also weight and draft. Weight becomes an issue when, in a tight spot, you can't hold or turn the boat with man power. Some solid rock coves as an excample, a lot of them in some places like Baltic coasts in FInland and Sweden.
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 10:50   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
It's just not necessarily the length but also weight and draft. Weight becomes an issue when, in a tight spot, you can't hold or turn the boat with man power. Some solid rock coves as an excample, a lot of them in some places like Baltic coasts in FInland and Sweden.
Do you have actual examples of coves where 38’ boats can go but 50’ boats can’t? In close quarters maneuvering most will use an engine, springs or even an anchor or launch a dinghy.

Old 21-03-2024, 13:55   #53
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
No. There are many factors included in choosing a safe anchorage. For 30 years and over 20,000 hrs. underway our judgement has worked. We are quite satisfied.
Old 22-03-2024, 06:53   #54

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Do you have actual examples of coves where 38’ boats can go but 50’ boats can’t? In close quarters maneuvering most will use an engine, springs or even an anchor or launch a dinghy.
Sure they can if the draft allows (which excludes most coves) but the risk of things going south goes up exponentially. Of course all this depends of your cruising gounds. I reckon you dont know what baltic post ice age shores look like. It's solid rock covered with boulders and more rocks. Did I mention it's shallow? Have a look here examples https://www.vastavalo.net/meri-merim...aa-851266.html
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 08:36   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Sure they can if the draft allows (which excludes most coves) but the risk of things going south goes up exponentially. Of course all this depends of your cruising gounds. I reckon you dont know what baltic post ice age shores look like. It's solid rock covered with boulders and more rocks. Did I mention it's shallow? Have a look here examples https://www.vastavalo.net/meri-merim...aa-851266.html
Ah it’s about draft. Many boats under 40’ have equal or more draft than us but this makes it clear.

I don’t understand what rocky shores have to do with it… those rocks would puncture small boats just as well as large boats. It all sounds a bit like stories from small boat owners who need to find reasons why small boats are better. I still only found one reason and that’s the cost that is lower.

Old 22-03-2024, 08:58   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
However 54 - 55' is a lot of boat for a couple, especially if you don't have experience! You really don't need one that big. A larger boat is more difficult to handle and repair. Plust costs are all higher - not just the price of the boat, but repairs, haul-outs, marina fees, etc and sometimes taxes. If it's just the two of you with no children, no pets, I would go with 40 - 45' range. You two would even be fine in 36' range but for liveaboards the extra space would give you much needed storage.
Something like this then. You could almost day sail it to the Med learning along the way.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/yacht/2...assic-9197054/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold_sailing View Post
We had the opportunity to check out a couple of 50-footers at Annapolis this year, and I would say that if we can't find a good 55 boat within my budget, I'll most probably start looking for a 50-foot boat.
However, if you do want 55ft then this is more local:

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/yacht/2...dy-54-8370136/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 08:58   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bavaria vs Jeanneau vs Beneteau

Quote:
It all sounds a bit like stories from small boat owners who need to find reasons why small boats are better. I still only found one reason and that’s the cost that is lower.
Less time spent cleaning inside and out..
Can reach the kettle and make a brew without leaving bed..
Less tendency to hoard stuff you'll likely never use..
Less tendency for friends/family wanting free/cheap holidays..
Lotsa reasons..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 09:01   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Less time spent cleaning inside and out..
Can reach the kettle and make a brew without leaving bed..
Less tendency to hoard stuff you'll likely never use..
Less tendency for friends/family wanting free/cheap holidays..
Lotsa reasons..
Yes you always find good reasons I didn’t think of… that said, do you know how much more Tanqueray a big boat can carry?

Old 22-03-2024, 10:15   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bavaria vs Jeanneau vs Beneteau

Quote:
Yes you always find good reasons I didn’t think of… that said, do you know how much more Tanqueray a big boat can carry?
Bigger Tanq's for sure..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 13:42   #60

Boat: Hallberg Rassy

If you want to live aboard and spend 'living the life' in the Mediterranean I would certainly go for a smaller yacht. Unless you are a hardcore anchor man. You will have huge problems finding a berth during summer. And if you find a harbour AND they have this size berths available you will find that all are booked year in year out by the regular sailors in the med.
Most (of the beautiful) harbours in France & Italy I know you need to pay and reserve 4 to 6 months in advance especially at the tourist season (almost 6 months). Again, if you primarily want to anchor and go with your dinghy ashore to visit, wine & dine that's something else.

In February I have planned my trip for this summer from Tuscany to Naples, Sorrento & Capri and most marinas were already fully booked. Check on the internet the experiences on this.

If you want to get the real Med experience and sail along the beautiful French, Italian, Croation, Greece coasts etc. and you dont want to anchor almost every day you really need to think twice on the size of the boat.
And if you do anchor outside of summer period a more heavy built bluewater boat is not a luxury. Weather can be brutal in the Med due to the winds like mistral, tramontana etc. From zero to 50+ knots in 20 minutes with a lot of rocks around you when anchoring.

You said you dont want to rent for 3 weeks but that is exactly what you should do. Go rent a 55 footer this summer, plenty of them available and experience the Med in all its unbelieveable cultural beauty but also the downsides. A good book to prepare is Mediterranean Cruising handbook from Rod Heikell. He sailed years in the Med.
Selkie Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, jeanneau