Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2021, 10:15   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Amel 50 vs. Garcia 52 vs. Discovery 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Well this is probably going to disappoint a few of you that have been so helpful in this thread that I created over a year ago now. OP here and after much debate, seemingly endless research, a whole bunch of boat shows, and stepping on each vessel I've decided to go with none of the above.

They are all fantastic choices, but the heart wants what the heart wants and we have ended up going the route of a catamaran. Our choice was the Balance 526 which after being on every single boat it was the one that just seemed to tick the most boxes. We just figured that there are different boats for different purposes, and we will put our higher latitude adventures on pause for now. We will start with tropical stuff and see if this lifestyle sticks long enough to warrant the next boat.

It doesn't have most of the safety features that the monohulls we considered have, but at least she will still sail well. Thanks for all of your input and now the wait begins for this new build, but we are super excited!

Well, that's great! Enjoy, and let us know how you get on.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 10:49   #107

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

As usual, the first key consideration is the intended use. For the tropics and Caribbean in general, a cat makes a lot of sense as long as long ocean crossings in known rough areas are not (or mostly not) planned.

Best of luck and enjoyment in your endeavors!
Old 19-10-2021, 11:26   #108
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Having just watched this video review, I would say this is my favorite Cat so far
Congratulations!

https://youtu.be/V_Ac8e4tVEM

https://youtu.be/A0GARbwoxqI
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 11:28   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
. .. a cat makes a lot of sense as long as long ocean crossings in known rough areas are not (or mostly not) planned.. . .

Don't tell these guys:
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc02528.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	247058

Cats are actually fine for any kind of ocean crossing so long as they are big enough and well built. Avoid the mass produced ones with flexy bulkheads and weak beams and you will be fine.

Cats need to be light so are not generally as stout as a well built mono, but good ones are strong enough for the job. Not my cup of tea personally, but I understand why people like them. On a long passage heeled over about the fourth day I often start to forget why I don't like cats.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 11:48   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Our choice was the Balance 526 which after being on every single boat it was the one that just seemed to tick the most boxes.
Congratulations!

I am sure you will enjoy the new boat. Exciting times ahead.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 11:56   #111

Quote:
As usual, the first key consideration is the intended use. For the tropics and Caribbean in general, a cat makes a lot of sense as long as long ocean crossings in known rough areas are not (or mostly not) planned.

Best of luck and enjoyment in your endeavors!
Thanks so much! Yes, the more we considered our intended use we figured out that we want to do the traditional coconut run first vs. where the weather gets a little chilly. One of the compromises I was making with the monohull is trying to solve the draft problem, having 2.5M of draft like on some of the mono's we looked at just limits you from anchoring in so many great places that we've already visited that we know this is something we did not want to be concerned with.

As far as quality, construction, and craftsmanship, the Balance should be able to handle what we throw at it. The one theme that I consistently listened to from those who have done what we plan is not how important it is to sail fast, but how important it is to sail in light airs. Being able to make 7 knots in 7.5 knots of wind means more sailing and less motoring. Plus having the helm position 100% protected really sold the wife. If we do decide to do some high latitude stuff we will probably get the right boat for that job as well.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 05:38   #112

Mucho time crewing on a Amel. Never ever felt anxious in any weather (up to 45 knots) offshore. Wonderfull boats easy to sail Safe! And easy to work on for the most part
Dieseldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 08:17   #113

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Quote:
As a heavy monohull owner, I can't personally speak to the offshore capabilities of catamarans. But after watching this video, I have to give credit where credit's due.
A lot of credit to these sailors and their boat!

Cape Town to Brisbane through the Southern Ocean winter on a Leopard39,
64 days non-stop, 65kts+ winds.
Waves up to 34ft.

VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 08:51   #114

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Cats are actually fine for any kind of ocean crossing so long as they are big enough and well built. Avoid the mass produced ones with flexy bulkheads and weak beams and you will be fine.

Cats need to be light so are not generally as stout as a well built mono, but good ones are strong enough for the job. Not my cup of tea personally, but I understand why people like them. On a long passage heeled over about the fourth day I often start to forget why I don't like cats.
Exceptions are still exceptions. Yes, if you (can and would) invest in a $2-5M capable big cat vs $100-800k mono blue water cruiser.

But only AS LONG AS ITS FUN! I love to be on a cat in a marina or sailing on the (mostly) flat waters in the Bahamas with minimal draft and a townhouse comfort on top. But cruising at the extremes in a (big) washing machine, isn’t so much fun.

So as always; a matter of personal priorities, *intended use* and compromises. The oceans are wide enough for all.

My personal dream fleet would definitely include also a nice, well built 40-45’ cat. Until then, my humble Contest will have to do the heavy lifting 🙂
Old 24-10-2021, 09:09   #115

Boat: Regina 43

If you are truly going serious high latitudes then you want a metal hull. So the Garcia or equivalent would be my choice. But then if that is in your program you should be looking at pilot house yachts in that size range as well. Besteaver is probably the best option due to hull material. If you can live with a strong GRP boat then why not a Regina 49 or a nauticat 52?
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 09:12   #116

It would be the Amel for me everytime. Great cruising boat and well designed, built and tested by many. Never heard a bad word about them.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 10:18   #117
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
It would be the Amel for me everytime. Great cruising boat and well designed, built and tested by many. Never heard a bad word about them.

At the price point , you would’ve want too.
Old 25-10-2021, 06:20   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
Yes, Amel came in number 2 in our decision making process, just hard to find fault in such a tried and true capable boat. The deciding factor really was more about draft and 2.15M is just too limiting for a lot of the tropical anchorages. We may just go ahead and change horses when the time comes to change cruising grounds.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 10:03   #119

Boat: Regina 43

Amels are great boats and I love the watertight bulkheads. I’m not such a fan of the cockpit. It seems neither fish nor foul to me. It’s kind of like a soft top pilothouse and so it has many of the disadvantages of a pilothouse as a station to sail from and less of the pilothouse’s advantages as a station to pilot from. A far better setup in my book is a true pilothouse with a proper sailing cockpit tucked aft of it. Less compromises that way and also more compatible with a smaller yacht.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 11:03   #120
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Well this is probably going to disappoint a few of you that have been so helpful in this thread that I created over a year ago now. OP here and after much debate, seemingly endless research, a whole bunch of boat shows, and stepping on each vessel I've decided to go with none of the above.

They are all fantastic choices, but the heart wants what the heart wants and we have ended up going the route of a catamaran. Our choice was the Balance 526 which after being on every single boat it was the one that just seemed to tick the most boxes. We just figured that there are different boats for different purposes, and we will put our higher latitude adventures on pause for now. We will start with tropical stuff and see if this lifestyle sticks long enough to warrant the next boat.

It doesn't have most of the safety features that the monohulls we considered have, but at least she will still sail well. Thanks for all of your input and now the wait begins for this new build, but we are super excited!

Congratulations, an absolutely gorgeous catamaran!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc