Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 21:13   #16

Re: Albin Vega 27: advantages and disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Hugo B,

In what area of the world are you?

I have an Albin Vega that has been stored in a warehouse and has not been in the water since 2013. It’s on a trailer.

It is in the Northeast US.
Hi Jason

I want to sail the boat in the Med in Europe. I think shipping it from the US to Europe would cost at least 10,000 US. No offence, but for that to be worth it, you have to be selling it very cheap. Let me know anyway how much you are selling it for.

Thanks

Hugo
Hugo B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 21:18   #17

Hi Hans
It's this one, isn't it?
https://www.inautia.com/used-boat-55...565504565.html
Let me think about it and get back to you via the website.
Cheers
Hugo
Old 07-01-2020, 21:24   #18

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo B View Post
Hi Jason

I want to sail the boat in the Med in Europe. I think shipping it from the US to Europe would cost at least 10,000 US. No offence, but for that to be worth it, you have to be selling it very cheap. Let me know anyway how much you are selling it for.

Thanks

Hugo
As I mentioned before, the boat is located in Povoa de Varzim. I am at this moment at the boat showing it to several people interested. Yesterday 1, today 1 and tomorrow I have another announcement. For you to sail out of Povoa to the Med is excellent and if you want, you can do the bit rougher Atlantic SpainGalicia. Galicia is a absolute highlight with the Rias, Vigo, Pontevedra, Camarinas, Muros, and all the others. It is somehow a bit tiring to get up north, because the winds come from north. But with 2 days you are up and the way down is worth take weeks to know Galicia and then, in Marina Povoa they sell you a book with all approaches and Marinas in Portugal and the Vega with 1.07 dept goes into all anchoring places along Portugal.
best regards
Hans

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ibis Rochelle 1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	206527

Name:	IMG_0039-1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	206528

Name:	IMG_0041-1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	206529

Name:	IMG_0044-1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	206530

Name:	IMG_0045-1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	206531

Name:	IMG_0345-1.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	206532
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:58   #19

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo B View Post
Hi Jason

Thanks

Hugo
Hugo,

I didn’t know where in the world you were located.

It wouldn’t make sense to spend the money to ship a Vega to the Med IMO.

I will probably ask about $20,000. US for the boat with trailer.

Many upgrades: Beta diesel with 300 hours, like new sails, standing and running rigging, barrier coat, cushions, topsides and deck professionally painted, Windpilot steering.

Good luck with the Vega.

We have a larger boat now but kept the Vega thinking we would get back to it when we got older.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:04   #20

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

What for do you wanna buy a Vega in the USA? All over Europe you have Vegas in good condition or to be made fit for low money. They start some at € 5´000 and you can invest 5-10`000 and they are in great shape or you get one for around € 10´000 in good condition. But I would hurry up. I am experiencing a good asking for my "pocket cruiser"... The season is starting...
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:24   #21

Boat: Nautor's Swan 431

I'm afraid that some questions of the thread were not answered thoroughly.

"Why are they so cheap?"
They were cheap from the beginning as they were designed to be the cheapest boats at the Scandinavian market then and mainly suited for the easy conditions of the archipelago family cruising during the summer holidays. Equals very light winds and no seas. The construction methods were suited to serial construction and the minimum of the cheapest possible gear was assembled. It was THE budget boat of its time and started this trend.

"Why are they so light?"
Just to be cheap enough for the average swedish sailing couple who were in a need of some more comforts as in the bigger Yachts. Diesel engine, toilet, headroom, etc. Light keel means lighter rigging, U-bolts instead of proper chain plates, lightly built interior in the caravan style, rubber framed windows at the early boats, sub quality electrical installations, weak main bulkhead installation, and the list goes on.

Supposedly they are strong enough for serious offshore work after they are properly fixed as the previous writers here have done.

Test results
Scandinavian Yachting magazines of that time were quite equal in their test results of the Vega. The keel and the whole boat was considered to be too light and the boat has to be reefed early. It's a dog when trying to sail upwind because of the full bow, no real progress is made compared to other boats of its era. They found it good at downwind sailing angles and it can even surf eagerly! The heavy weather properties are nonexistent and the boat was considered to be a difficult boat to sail at those conditions. It is more suited to the relaxing holiday use at the archipelago.

Price
25 Years ago it wasn't difficult to find a Vega costing nothing (Sweden, Finland) or even with a negative value. Neglected and abandoned small Viggens, Vegas, Maxi 77:s, etc were lying at every Yard growing mold. No market demand as their owners were too old and the Younger sailers preferred more modern boats. These days only the well cared Vegas have survived and are probably worth what is said here. I suppose a very good example with all the new gear for big seas would sell max 10.000,- here in Finland. It's a buyers market here.

Just in case You're looking for a proper little scandinavian Yacht for blue water (which price is not affected by the cult reputation as is in the Vega case) You could find really good ones here at a very modest price. Just Google these: BluBird 25, S&S design, made in Finland (2.500 to 8.000). IW31, S&S made in Sweden (5000,- to 12.000) or a HR35 Rasmus. It's a bigger boat but asking prices start from 24.000,- for quite a good ones. From elderly guys...
ihe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 21:13   #22

I looks like this thread has run its course, but I picked up some really good information in here.

Thanks for your contributions.

Cheers

Hugo
Old 15-01-2020, 05:25   #23

Boat: Nautor's Swan 431

Just in case, here’s one for free:

https://www.blocket.se/vi/89047810.htm

New ad 11.1.2020 at Blocket.se. That Vega will be given away for free, its is lying at the west coast of Sweden and the new owner will have to take care of the delivery costs.
ihe2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Albin Vega