Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2019, 11:52   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409
Advantages and disadvantages of cats for solo sailing

I'm mulling over changing from a mono to a cat. I sail solo, and one of the attractions of the cat is the greater manoeuvrability in port of the two engine layout. [When I first got a mono, it never ocurred to me that my main problems would relate to berthing, and not sailing, and still do, come to that.]
There are lots of discussions about cats vs monos, but less that I can see on their relative merits from the point of view of the solo sailor. So I'd very much welcome comments from this perspective.
For example, while a cat is more manoeuvrable, what happens for example if, when I've just about placed the boat correctly in its slip, there is a sudden gust of crosswind taking me away from where I want to be, and I'm up up on the flydeck, how do I respond? This is just one example that comes to mind, there could be a whole lot more.
Thank you
Srah 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 12:20   #2

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: Advantages and disadvantages of cats for solo sailing

Just to be clear, I have been a rabid mono person for decades but have recently been yearning for a cat simply because cruising in the tropics on a cat is sooo attractive. So my next comment is not mono-driven.

If the advantage of manouverability is your primary motivation for the switch to a cat, it is surely far more cost effective to install a bow thruster to your Jeanneau? Swapping boats is never cheap.

If you really want to explore manouverability, install a stern thruster as well

But I suspect the draw of a cat goes beyond handling characteristics I know it does for me but I’m too far down the track to change boats now.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 12:30   #3

Yes, there is a big cost involved in changing because, suddenly, all the depreciation that has ocurred on the Jeanneau becomes "real" and, in the end, may well kill off catamaran dreams. The problem with bow thrusters is that when you really, really need them, ie, when the wind has taken control, they are not up to the job. But then this problem might be the same on a cat, hence my question.
Old 30-06-2019, 12:50   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srah 1953 View Post
Yes, there is a big cost involved in changing because, suddenly, all the depreciation that has ocurred on the Jeanneau becomes "real" and, in the end, may well kill off catamaran dreams. The problem with bow thrusters is that when you really, really need them, ie, when the wind has taken control, they are not up to the job. But then this problem might be the same on a cat, hence my question.
There is little which is more maneuverable then a fin/keel spade rudder, monohull. They will spin on the axis of the keel. They will usually back up in whatever direction you wish to go.

The trick to docking any vessel is anticipating the wind. Look aloft, then plan your approach and get a line over as quickly as possible. If the situation is tricky (gusty wind blowing us away from the dock) I'll take a temporary line from midships and get that to a dock cleat first, holding the boat to the dock parallel to the dock, then set bow and stern and spring lines.

You don't need a catamaran to accomplish good docking; there are other justifications for that change.
Old 30-06-2019, 12:53   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Re single-handing cats. Ive got lots of cat and mono experience and have single handed a lot of makes/models of both.

The real difference is not really cat vs mono, but how that particular boat is set up. Mantas for example are set up very well for single handing w everything led to the helm and a self tending jib.

A common negative across many makes/models of cat are those big ass mainsails which are so common on cats. Hoisting those beasts can be a challenge.

Maneuvaribilty under power is awesome across all twin engine cats, what differs is visibility from helm and ease of access to dock lines/cleats. Some cats have poor vis from the helm and it really helps to have crew stationed in the blind spot (usually the bow diagonally oppossite the helm). When docking big fly bridge cats its a long way both vertically and horizontally to deck cleats/lines...making crew handy again. It can all be done...just requires more advanced planning. Same for mooring/anchoring.

With either cat or mono, heaving-to can be very handy so how well that particular boat heaves to factors into ease of single handing.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 13:08   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Mailsail not withstanding, weight of rig in a cat per interior enjoy it space really favors that cat. If I were still sailing, I'd take a 28' cat over a 38' mono, even with modern light displacement hulls (since my sailing years). The only disadvantages I know of are fitting into a rectangular slip with a square boat, and floating a bit better with the copper side up.
Old 30-06-2019, 13:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

You don't need a catamaran to accomplish good docking; ...
Agreed. Any boat, cat or mono, can be well handled in the right hands (though some can be less cooperative than others). Skilled boat handling can be a joy to watch...and unskilled painful to see.
Old 30-06-2019, 13:27   #8

There are of course a whole pile of reasons for changing. I highlighted the manoeuvring part because that's where I most wanted feedback. Out at sea whether on a mono or cat there's generally room and time to get everything right, but in close quarters it's a different story, so that's why I highlighted it.
Old 30-06-2019, 13:27   #9

I'd say the major advantage of a multihull for a single hander is the significantly reduced risk of falling overboard.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 13:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'd say the major advantage of a multihull for a single hander is the significantly reduced risk of falling overboard.
I dunno, there are an awful lot of wide open spaces with no hand holds on most modern cats vs a good old traditional monohull with plenty of close quarters hand holds out on the fore deck. Sure makes a difference in my sense of security going forward in rough weather.
Old 30-06-2019, 13:48   #11

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I've never been on a mono so I can't speak for them. I dock single handed. My cat is light and quickly moves around in the wind. With blow on, no problem, if it is blow off and windy I park somewhere else.
Old 30-06-2019, 14:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I dunno, there are an awful lot of wide open spaces with no hand holds on most modern cats vs a good old traditional monohull with plenty of close quarters hand holds out on the fore deck. Sure makes a difference in my sense of security going forward in rough weather.
You can put hand holds on a cat. You cant stop a mono from rolling.

One of my most vivid memories of our mono was of hanging onto the mast, looking down and seeing nothing but water under me.

I've been forward in far worse conditions on our cat and never been in anything even remotely like that position.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 14:29   #13

Re cross winds and cat docking. If it is a sudden gust (that you are not expecting) as OP posted, then not much you can do but back off and try again. If steadier conditions, or you are expecting more gusts, then get bow or stern quarter into the wind and drop a looped spring line over a dock cleat. You can then use the spring line and engines to walk the boat onto the dock.
Old 30-06-2019, 15:19   #14

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

There are plenty of reasons for looking at cats, but I’ve never heard of docking ease being one of them. Sounds like it might be worthwhile just to get some more docking practice and advice in on your boat in various conditions, perhaps? My boat is a great big high-freeboarded plastic bucket, without a bowthruster, but it’s still a piece of cake in harbour (especially compared to a long-keeler). Try mooring in reverse rather than forwards — it’s a lot easier particularly if you’re single-handed on an aft cockpit boat as you don’t need to leave the helm to get lines to cleats. Also, when you’re driving the stern into position, it’s easy to kick the bow to port or starboard with a quick thrust of forward power.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:29   #15

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
There are plenty of reasons for looking at cats, but I’ve never heard of docking ease being one of them. Sounds like it might be worthwhile just to get some more docking practice and advice in on your boat in various conditions, perhaps? My boat is a great big high-freeboarded plastic bucket, without a bowthruster, but it’s still a piece of cake in harbour (especially compared to a long-keeler). Try mooring in reverse rather than forwards — it’s a lot easier particularly if you’re single-handed on an aft cockpit boat as you don’t need to leave the helm to get lines to cleats. Also, when you’re driving the stern into position, it’s easy to kick the bow to port or starboard with a quick thrust of forward power.
It’s the old horses for courses. The OP has one of those fin keel spade rudder designs (or at least I think it is). I on the other hand have a longish keel, skeg hung rudder and a centre cockpit. To make docking matters worse, I have a full cockpit enclosure that offers a substantial area for wind to act upon and a 15/13 prop that walks to port with a degree of malice. Hence docking my boat or even just backing it up, is never a piece of cake.

But I wouldn’t change any of those elements. I just limit my exposure to marina slips and my boat lives on a swing mooring 100 yards from my house.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing