Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2020, 15:33   #31

Re: Advice for first sailboat

MJH - Definitely looking into all the extra costs to make sure what we gets fits our ability to use it and enjoy it as much as we can (taxes, slip fees estimates, haul out estimates, annual maintenance, upkeep and upgrades). I am sure their is ALOT we have not thought about, but that's why we are reaching out and talking with other folks to get our heads on straight. Although I would love to own one of the sailboats described, I wouldn't be surprised if we grab a Beneteau or Hunter - given the number we see on the bay. We very much intend on making an offshore passage or two to make sure it's really what though - well said.
Soulseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 16:14   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, everybody, and welcome aboard, soulseer.

There are always many responses to threads like this, and of course, being forthright sailors, we all have our opinions. My biases are pro monohull, and pro getting inexpensive experience first. Jim and I have been cruising outside the US since March of '89, with air trips back to the States occasionally, and have had a chance to observe who goes on, and who crosses an ocean and sells the boat.

First off, I agree with LittleWing77 that it is a huge disconnect between competent if slow monohulls and "grab a 40-42 ft. catamaran". It worries me that someone who doesn't have much experience has already decided this is what she wants. On what basis? (Remember, boat articles usually gloss over any *flaws*. They're trying to sell something.)

Inexpensive experience.... Any 25 -30 ft. common brand name boat will give you a first taste of sailing. It is okay to jump off into the ocean after a few years coastal cruising. It IS different. You make sure the boat's ready, then you go. In my experience, heeling isn't a big deal, but jerky motion is. If either of you gets seasick, soonest start finding ways to mitigate it. And you need to practice, both of you: more than anything, you need hours together on a boat. As far as sailing and navigating, your wife should be able to do all that you do. Who's going to get her safe home if something bad happens to you? A factor in Jim's and my being able to cruise for so long is that we had developed ways of doing things, and also ways of reading the local weather, so as to know what to do. Unless you get a lot of sailing hours in, together, you'll always be at a deficit. A well found boat will usually keep you safe-- and easier to heat, too-- if you decide to spend time in cold places.

Especially for elders, I think it is a good deal to have a re-entry from cruising plan, too. [Plan on an inflation rate of 10% per annum.]

My Jim had 2 different trailer sailors with his previous wife, before I met him, and a 30 ft. Yankee, at that point (an S & S designed fin keel skeg hung rudder boat.) We sailed on SF Bay, and cruised SF to the Channel Islands, and sailed in bad weather (to learn where to sheet the storm jib), and then we sailed the Yankee to HI and back. That's how we learned we wanted a somewhat different boat for cruising. The point is that years and years were involved. Having started sailing after I was divorced and 2 or 3 yrs before meeting Jim, we were on different points on the learning curve: he had the experience, and I had little. My start was in the lowest level of club racing.

The experience was useful, as I learned to serve in different positions, and to take direction. (Strong willed women sometimes have a problem with that! ) The point is that I did learn, and had confidence in what I had learned, and I wanted to learn better. I most strongly suggest your wife take courses etc. separate from you, so that the two of you can exchange points of view and combine knowledge--more value for your dollars--and women tend to learn best when their partners are not around to defer to or to offer comfort. Her experiences, her self-confidence as a sailor, will be different even if the classes are the same. If she's a spirited woman, who loves the outdoors, and is eager to learn, she's going to do very well.

Still, start small and see if sailing's what both of you want. Then, after you've learned about sailing and maintenance, move up when appropriate. For us, it was 5 yrs. from the purchase of the boat that followed the Yankee till we left for long term cruising (although one of those years was spent cruising offshore). You'll be able to get the *right boat* ready to go within 3 yrs. or less, if you're available to work on it full time.

Ann
Old 27-07-2020, 16:29   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

You might also want to learn how to inspect a boat before you start writing cheques.

Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat