Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2019, 20:26   #1

Adams 40 TREWARTHA

There is a sweet looking Adams 40 TREWARTHA for sale at the moment. I can't find any reviews or stats on this model.

Has anyone heard of them or sailed them?
usdivers61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 20:48   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Adams 40 TREWARTHA

That interior is a bit of an acquired taste. They certainly went mental with the horizontal wood paneling.
Balsa core hull will need checking out, she certainly looks ok in the pictures.....
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 21:06   #3

The center cockpit version has a wide cockpit for racing, makes it difficult to get to the aft cabin from below.

The hulls are cored, not sure about balsa, thought it was Airex or something synthetic. They are well known for wet cores.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 21:24   #4

The reason you won't find much info on this is because it's not actually a model, it's just an Adams 40 design built by the Trewartha Brothers of Warrnambool, they built many different boats from many different designers. Probably someone bought the plans for the Adams 40 and contracted the Trewartha's to build it for them, you could buy the plans for the 40 in many different configurations and construction materials....

The Trewartha family is still in Warrnambool, and still involved in boating, although i think they may have got out of the building side....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 22:46   #5

I have a sister vessel to the one you’re looking at, though with a fractional rig. It is a beautiful sailing boat, very well balanced and more than holds its own in modern company. I’ve sailed it across Bass Strait in 30-40kts SW and felt totally safe and under control. Also have coastal cruised for weeks on end with the family in good comfort. Build quality is very good and its aged well from what I’ve seen having gotten to know it. I was chatting to a previous owner of the one listed and he spoke very fondly of it. Regarding design I’m struggling to find out how an Adams12 and the Adams 40 cruiser/racer differ if at all as they appear to be very similar hull, though there is a rather different Adams 40 Hull design as well. Worth further investigation if you like these boats.
Tassiesam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adams