Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 08:15   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Abandoned boat in Cuba (Marina Hemingway)

My sense of it is that this would be the ultimate definition of a boat: a hole in the water into which you would pour LOTS of money. Boat= break out another thousand. This one might be break out another ten thousand..... LOL
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:42   #17

Boat: (none)

Perhaps someone purchased it as abandoned, got it afloat and just tied it up there. Maybe they haven't had time to paint over/scrape off the "abandoned" writing. It is on the other side I assume, since I don't see it in the 2 pictures, not obvious from the land side. It seems pretty unlikely a boat is abandoned for more than a couple weeks and still has a dinghy, winches, hatches, etc., doesn't it? Especially just tied to the dock/pier like that. Pretty easy access for sticky fingers I'd think.
farmall.dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:51   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall.dude View Post
Perhaps someone purchased it as abandoned, got it afloat and just tied it up there. Maybe they haven't had time to paint over/scrape off the "abandoned" writing. It is on the other side I assume, since I don't see it in the 2 pictures, not obvious from the land side. It seems pretty unlikely a boat is abandoned for more than a couple weeks and still has a dinghy, winches, hatches, etc., doesn't it? Especially just tied to the dock/pier like that. Pretty easy access for sticky fingers I'd think.
remember the vessel is in Cuba not the U.S. And I would assume if officially abandoned it would likely be at some government quaywall.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:09   #19

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
It was at the far end of a dock right next to this one. Attaching a pic.

"abandoned" and "date" was on a port side, don't recall exactly where, but it was visible. Just not in the photos that I took.

I would imagine that if it was re-floated by someone, they would at least put a bumper or two between the concrete dock and the hull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1604.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	158994  
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:32   #20

Boat: (none)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_V View Post
It was at the far end of a dock right next to this one. Attaching a pic.

"abandoned" and "date" was on a port side, don't recall exactly where, but it was visible. Just not in the photos that I took.

I would imagine that if it was re-floated by someone, they would at least put a bumper or two between the concrete dock and the hull.
We can speculate all day long, but in the end, until someone gets the real story, it's just that. (no insult intended to whomever may think different)
On the other hand, it is kind of fun to dream up possible scenarios!
I was actually thinking maybe someone abandoned it on the hard. Should have been specific. I wasn't thinking sunk, if that's what you were thinking. Either way, you're right. Even a couple old tires, eh? It does look like it's been scraping for more than a day or two.
farmall.dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:32   #21

Quote:
The marina has pretty decent security. Plus this being Cuba the only possible buyers of any pilfered hardware would be other non-Cuban cruisers. Not sure if there are any native boat owners there who may use such hardware.

The locals are so afraid of the security there that we couldn't coax a local "date" to come and visit us at the boat. The rule there - the only locals allowed to set foot on boats in the marina are the vetted maintenance people and gov't types. And they are vigilant about it as far as we cold see.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:10   #22

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I remember a few year's ago, while working in Semarang, Indonesia, a 35 ft. Sloop tied up to a pier, after making inquiries, i found out, it had sailed in by 2 people, without any paper work, they were kicked out of the country, and she just set there, most everything had been removed, i was able to get on board and get a # off the hull, after contacting Choey Lee in Hong Kong, i obtained the name of the origional owner, who lived in singapore, upon contacting him, i found out the Sloop had been stolen and was insured by Lloyd's, a search was conducted [ don't think they looked very hard], without any results, i tried to purchase the vessel, without any luck.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:58   #23

Rest assured if it is in Marina Hemmingway, and abandoned, it is stripped. We were there for 3 years and even a bobby pin left outside at night would be taken.
BernBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 14:46   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Everyone to their own but I never liked the smaller ones , only look good in the bigger versions
I'm sure It's an Endurance designed by Peter Ibold. Many where made in ferro, mine was in GRP by Tyler Mouldings in Kent UK.
37 on the deck 42 overall.
Perkins 4108 engine, cutter mast head rig.
Sailed like racing machine. Tracked strait, a love on the helm. With good sails, lead keel, folding prop left all in her wake.
What more do you want?
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 16:52   #25

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

I saw that boat a few months ago ,while in Marina Hemingway. My daughter and I sailed our Tayana 37 to Cuba from Key West. Did not think much about it when I saw it.

The difference between Cuba a few months ago and Cuba in 1997, is like night and day. In 1997 we raced from Sarasota with 60 other boats, Cuba threw A large party for the sailors, dancers, Rum, but security was very tight.

I know the staff at Marina Hemingway fairly well, some have been working at the Marina over twenty years, with the right amount of money in the right hands the boat might be owned pretty quick.

if anyone here has the opportunity,, go ,, Its a great place to visit. Be very careful in the winter you do not want to enter the Marina with any kind of north wind, the small cut in the reef washes out and boats have been lost.

One trip it was to dangerous to enter, they sent me to Havana Harbor, where I surfed my Pearson Triton into Havana harbor, past the Castle Morrow, it was awesome a bucket list thing for me.

I have a non profit corp, so not hard for me to go.
Cheers,
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:05   #26

Boat: American Boat Works 43

If it is a 25' boat, it could be the end of this story about a mentally ill father and his distressed wife kidnapping their kids in Tampa and sailing to Cuba four years ago:

Sailing odyssey over, Hakkens now face legal journey
Miz Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasailor View Post
I'm sure It's an Endurance designed by Peter Ibold. Many where made in ferro, mine was in GRP by Tyler Mouldings in Kent UK.
37 on the deck 42 overall.
Perkins 4108 engine, cutter mast head rig.
Sailed like racing machine. Tracked strait, a love on the helm. With good sails, lead keel, folding prop left all in her wake.
What more do you want?
Ours was fero , mid 40' , truely beautiful boat , built by windboats ( Isle of Wight mid '80s ? ) fair as any plastic job , heavy duty ketch rig , ( loved a lazy twin staysail set up ) safest boat I have ever been on , saw out some pretty nasty Atlantic storms in it , ( not sure if force 11 but hey let's not split hairs !! ) Perkins 4236 , only boat that I would trade my catamaran for ,,, ah the day .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Pea View Post
If it is a 25' boat, it could be the end of this story about a mentally ill father and his distressed wife kidnapping their kids in Tampa and sailing to Cuba four years ago:

Sailing odyssey over, Hakkens now face legal journey
OMG , you couldn't make it up ,, could only happen in America , ( tho UK is hard on their heels ). ,, can't help wondering about officialdom , love this bit ,, " what long term effects it might have on them ,, followed by looked " fine happy and sleepy " !!! The kids prob had the time of their lives and still telling all their friends about it ,,, hopefully the parents have their kids back now and have gotten Tango Hotel out of that god ( sic ) forsaken place .. actually not sure if they are American.
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:21   #29

Boat: CAL 35 III
Send a message via Skype™ to ejjawhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yeah, imaging the likely paperwork snarl to get her outta Cuba though.

The dink looks to be a Portland Pudgy.
ejjawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 04:47   #30

Boat: Bristol 32

Contact the marina and learn to speak Cuban Spanish.
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Cuba