Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 23:45   #1

Living aboard a Sage 17

I know it seems crazy, but I talked to Dave Scobie from Sage Marine about modifications possible for a Sage 17. He said it can have a sink, induction burner, mini fridge, and the optional porta Potti. There are two settees with sitting headroom and storage underneath, as well as a 6’ 7’’ V-birth forward with storage underneath that. There is even a massive reachable storage space from in the cabin, under the cockpit floor that can also be accessed from the cockpit. I look to cruising on the West Coast of the United States because it is 1,300 pounds with 520 pounds of keel.

I would love to hear if any of this sounds reasonable. I do not see any reason for so much space if it is only me, or maybe there is and I do not realize it. What are all the possible negatives?

Thank you for all the device in advance,
Giovanni
GIOVANNl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 00:17   #2

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Living aboard a Sage 17

I know a young guy at a marina working on a cat for years now...he told me he lived on a hobie cat with a tarp over the boom for 2 years in Santa Cruz. You can do anything if you can stand the problems.

Don't even think about a porta potty. You are much better off with a composting toilet. Do some research and you will instantly understand the advantages of it over a porta potty. Any type of weather on a boat that small will be like a tempest in a teacup. Are you going to be in a marina in a slip? Will you be on a mooring ball? Storing wet clothing is not too much fun on a mini cruiser. How will you heat the boat and keep it dry inside? Boats can be dank and moist ...absolutely intolerable for me...if you don't have a way to keep them dry inside.

If living off grid...like a mooring ball...how will you do the dingy thing? If you are still working guy how will you keep your clothing presentable? If you are living on board...and in a marina...some marinas won't allow live aboards on such a small vessel. Do your research before plunging into unknown waters. good luck to you
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 00:29   #3

Thank you for the immediate feedback. I plan on staying on dock at a live aboard harbor in Sausalito. They allow any boat size for live aboards. Very good point on the wet clothes situation. Does anyone know how to eliminate this problem?
Old 03-11-2017, 01:29   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

May I ask this simple question of you: why would you choose this boat as a liveaboard? Price? Aesthetics? Simple availability? Perversity? There surely are better small boats readily available that would offer significantly better accommodations, and many can be purchased for small cost, due primarily to their ubiquitous availability.

But to answer your general query, no, I really don't think such a vessel is at all suitable for a long term liveaboard. It's just too damn small!

Jim
Old 03-11-2017, 04:24   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

By the time you load up that boat with all of the basics (pots/pans, clothing, bedding, toiletries, water, you) you will have added a significant portion of its total displacement as cargo. Once this is done it will no longer have desirable sailing qualities, and depending on type and location of the payload may no longer be stable.

For a weekend, or an extended vacation, sure....but not for existing long term.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:31   #6
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Few here would live fulltime in a minivan, but it can be done.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:24   #7

The reason I would like to live aboard such a small boat is for mostly simplicity, cost, and availability. Interesting point on overloading the boat. If I keep everything away in the provided storage areas, do you think it is low enough on the boat, that it willl not effect stability. Than you all for the replies.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:44   #8

I know a guy who lived on a Pearson Ensign under a tarp. Anything is possible...

For the money you'll pay for a Sage 17 why not get something comfortable to live on?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:58   #9

Quote: "The reason I would like to live aboard such a small boat is for mostly simplicity, cost, and availability."

NONE of these reasons are valid reasons for choosing a daysailer to live aboard. If you have no other purpose than to find cheap accommodation, you can easily for the same money as you would pay for a Sage 17 find any number of 30-foot boats offering three times the interior volume and in consequence a real possibility of living aboard, even though even a 30-footer is small if you you have a job that requires a conventional level of cleanliness and grooming. If you are a "boat bum", then a 30 footer or even a 27-footer would be adequate.

Simplicity is achieved, in larger boats, by ripping out anything that is not essential, or simply de-commissioning it and ignoring it thereafter.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:59   #10

Boat: Seaward 25

We know a guy that lives several months each winter on his Montgomery 17 (very similar boat) here in Lake Havasu. He does, however, have a nice van that he keeps in the parking lot and he can usually be found spending his days there. Also, the weather here, even in the winter is pretty nice. We also sail with several owners of Sages and Montgomeries, including Dave. They are very popular excursion boats and the guys often stay out on them for a few weeks at a time but I don't think many of them would consider living aboard. Even Dave Scobie usually stays in his camper rather than on the boat.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:00   #11

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

Sure you can do it - but calling it "living aboard" is quite a stretch. You definitely will not be doing too much enjoyable sailing unless you leave all your possessions on the dock. Vans converted into campers are more livable than a Sage 17. Sending you a private message.
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:17   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIOVANNl View Post
The reason I would like to live aboard such a small boat is for mostly simplicity, cost, and availability. Interesting point on overloading the boat. If I keep everything away in the provided storage areas, do you think it is low enough on the boat, that it willl not effect stability. Than you all for the replies.
it becomes a matter of total weight and submersion, placement helps, but is not the whole picture.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:21   #13

Boat: Boatless

I lived on a J24 for a few months then up to a Catalina 30.

That was a palace compared to the 24!

Simple, affordable, livable? Do what you want but since you asked I’d go for the 30. Ton of em, cheap as chips, fun to sail and you can actually entertain a friend or 3.

Also San Fran area? Wet and can get cold. If you are planning on doing this for any length of time you’ll appreciate a bit of elbow room.

;-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:23   #14

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Webb Chiles would have thought a 17' boat was too spacious when he was younger. And the ex-Sven Lundin would probably think it too large today.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:24   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

As said earlier small old 27 - 30 ft boats are going for next to nothing these days. Get one of those for less than a new 17.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard