Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 12:31   #61
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 338
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Friend of mine here in Norfolk has his Westsail 32 For Sale. ($29,000)

It's a beast of a blue water boat and in good shape. I've heard the engine run and been down below. Nice boat.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...le-244985.html

It's also at Bay Harbor Brokerage.
Man, this is a beautiful boat. I hope I will come across something like this when it's time for me to look for my second sailboat. If its condition is as good as what I see in the photos, this will be perfect for me. It's tiller, right?
Well, back to the OP... I think this will be a better sailboat than an IP, and OP will have plenty of funds to fix a few things that might go wrong on the way. I know there are a few compromises with age and length, but it will do everything he needs and more - with a kind of keel he prefers...
Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 12:41   #62
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 338
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph71 View Post
--------
Thank you for the link and what a beauty. I've looked at her before but slightly above my target size and price range. I'd have to work another 12 months to afford her and thus delay the dream longer... I want to go small(er) and now
That's why I shared that; they are expensive, even if you go for shorter ones.
I'd rather go with something like this:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...utter-3563673/
I've been investigating CapeDorys for a long while, and I've not heard anything negative about them yet. I've talked to several who owned them, all positive remarks. My number one as my future second boat.
Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 13:09   #63
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Annapolis area
Posts: 32
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I have sailed on many IP s and owned a IP44. The IP35 is the worst sailor and real dog upwind. The IP32 is a better sailboat. So is the IP37.
-------------
Thank you. That's good know
Ralph71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 17:35   #64
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Diego
Boat: Jeanneau 349
Posts: 655
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
I was thinking like you a few weeks ago. A guy here called Jim has changed my mind. The minute you see the fact that fin keels could also be great safe sailboats, you'll find yourself in an endless ocean of new opportunities and ambitions. Please give yourself that chance before spending your hard earned money on a full keel. At least, throughly investigate the bluewater fin keels before your purchase; at the end of the day, you can always buy your IP 349. If you still insist with your full keel decision, then here's another option for you. https://www.caboricoyachts.com/

Good luck.


I second “full” s comments. There are very few full keel boats 10-15 years old. You may have to compromise on one or the other. Pacific Seacraft made a modified fullish keel line of boats. Smallish, but a great sea boat.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 17:59   #65
running down a dream

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: somewhere in the deep south
Boat: CD30 MKII
Posts: 2,302
Images: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

I chartered an IP 350 once. it's really an IP 32 with a kicked out reverse transom. there wasn't much I liked about it really. Oh well. I like the IP 37 design.
__________________
some of the best times of my life were spent on a boat. it just took a long time to realize it

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 19:15   #66
Registered User
 
maijipo's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Bellingham WA
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 146
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

A year ago I was facing the same choice looking for a 35 -36 ft boat.

I had the same criteria: I have been looking for Tayana, Hans Christian, Island Packet, Orion, pacific seacraft...

We finally went for an IP 32 1990. The main reason for our choice was the good reputation of the boat and also the lower maintenance than Tayana, Hans Christian where the woodwork and deck afraid me a bit. I wanted to sail and not living with a paintbrush in my hand . Before that boat, I had a Tartan 33.

Here is my feeling:

First, the IP is really strongly built and you notice that all around. The surveyor I took was impressed by the quality of the built. Also, the IP owner tends to keep their boat in very good shape (don t ask me why..). From a performance, she is not fast but not really bad neither. She is a cruising boat, comfortable and solid. You feel very secure. In light wind expect 1/2 of the wind speed. Now, when everybody starts reefing you keep going like a charm

Also, for a 35 ft (the 32 is actually 35), she is super roomy and comfortable. For two people we found her perfect.

Harbor manoeuver is harder yes but not as horrible as I was expecting. With a bit of practice, you got her under control.

Also, the IP community is super nice and helpful. At anchor, the other IP owner will come and greets you, and the community in Facebook is also very nice. Once I had an electric issue (I thought so) and I received help online directly...If you are considering an IP you should join the Facebook group. Plenty of people with your program can advise you.

Personally, I love her old style look ...
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 20:15   #67
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 338
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maijipo View Post
Also, for a 35 ft (the 32 is actually 35)...
I saw the interior photos of an IP32 once, and I was impressed with how spacy it looked; now it makes perfect sense why!? OP can buy one for 80k something if he will be fine with a 25 yr old one. The add below pretty much says good to sailaway. If that info is accurate and there is a bargaining range, then he will even have extra funds left in his account. Still, my understanding states that if he ends up with a full keel or such, then something like an older Cape Dory or Bristol will be a better boat for a fraction of 80k.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1994/island-packet-32-3712165/
Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 20:51   #68
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Annapolis area
Posts: 32
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maijipo View Post
A year ago I was facing the same choice looking for a 35 -36 ft boat.

I had the same criteria: I have been looking for Tayana, Hans Christian, Island Packet, Orion, pacific seacraft...

We finally went for an IP 32 1990. The main reason for our choice was the good reputation of the boat and also the lower maintenance than Tayana, Hans Christian where the woodwork and deck afraid me a bit. I wanted to sail and not living with a paintbrush in my hand . Before that boat, I had a Tartan 33.

Here is my feeling:

First, the IP is really strongly built and you notice that all around. The surveyor I took was impressed by the quality of the built. Also, the IP owner tends to keep their boat in very good shape (don t ask me why..). From a performance, she is not fast but not really bad neither. She is a cruising boat, comfortable and solid. You feel very secure. In light wind expect 1/2 of the wind speed. Now, when everybody starts reefing you keep going like a charm

Also, for a 35 ft (the 32 is actually 35), she is super roomy and comfortable. For two people we found her perfect.

Harbor manoeuver is harder yes but not as horrible as I was expecting. With a bit of practice, you got her under control.

Also, the IP community is super nice and helpful. At anchor, the other IP owner will come and greets you, and the community in Facebook is also very nice. Once I had an electric issue (I thought so) and I received help online directly...If you are considering an IP you should join the Facebook group. Plenty of people with your program can advise you.

Personally, I love her old style look ...
---------
thank you so much for your detailed feedback - this is really very helpful. And reinforces my impression, i.e. well-built, solid, reliable...
Yes, I've actually already joined the FB group to get a sense of what issues owners face... it's been very helpful. Thank you again for you post !
Ralph71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 20:55   #69
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Annapolis area
Posts: 32
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

[QUOTE=Full;3321211]I saw the interior photos of an IP32 once, and I was impressed with how spacy it looked; now it makes perfect sense why!? OP can buy one for 80k something if he will be fine with a 25 yr old one. The add below pretty much says good to sailaway. If that info is accurate and there is a bargaining range, then he will even have extra funds left in his account. Still, my understanding states that if he ends up with a full keel or such, then something like an older Cape Dory or Bristol will be a better boat for a fraction of 80k.

-------------
Thank you very much for all your feedback. To be honest, I'm looking for the newest possible cruising boat that I can afford. Bit of an issue as many of the good ol' builder seem to not be around anymore - except IP and a few brands (Oyster, Amel, HR) which I cant afford...
Ralph71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 20:58   #70
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Annapolis area
Posts: 32
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
I chartered an IP 350 once. it's really an IP 32 with a kicked out reverse transom. there wasn't much I liked about it really. Oh well. I like the IP 37 design.
------
thank you very much. May I ask what makes the 370 so much better than the 350. Apologies for what's probably an ignorant question but I had assumed the 370 is similar boat, just 2 ft longer...
Ralph71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 21:01   #71
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Annapolis area
Posts: 32
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
I second “full” s comments. There are very few full keel boats 10-15 years old. You may have to compromise on one or the other. Pacific Seacraft made a modified fullish keel line of boats. Smallish, but a great sea boat.
-------
thank you. The Pacific Seacraft is on my list... I just don't can't seem to fall in love with the canoe transom, find it both unattractive and unpractical
Ralph71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 21:45   #72
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 338
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

I wonder how good the boat in the link below sails in open seas. Better than IPs? Maybe? The answer might help. This will be my last post here; I'll leave the air to experienced sailors.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...ocean-3663549/
Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 09:31   #73
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Newfoundland
Boat: Beneteau
Posts: 448
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Your prospective “bluewater” boat is a “production” boat.
Most boats listed under this vague pretentious category are. The rest are rare and expensive and possibly used up if not.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 13:08   #74
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 338
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

Sooo... What happened? Did you buy it?
Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 02:30   #75
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 338
Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
It would help with credibility of the above statements to state how many IPs you owned and for how long.
THIS!!!
Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparable parts oil filters etc for Yanmar 3YM30 Pegasus SVYC Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 29-05-2019 10:24
O'Day comparable to which other mfr? scgilligan Monohull Sailboats 47 16-04-2018 11:46
1st Time Boat Buyer RicinFL Monohull Sailboats 9 04-03-2017 20:39
32 End. 1st time buyer advice Jacknast Monohull Sailboats 3 03-09-2015 14:54
Just thinking out loud, what boats are comparable to Downeaster 38s? watergypsy Monohull Sailboats 1 21-11-2012 12:08

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.