Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2021, 08:48   #31

Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

[QUOTE=LittleWing77;3319992]Ralph, by giving Island Packet as your reference point boat, what it conveys is that you need to sail a LOT more. IPs are poor-sailing, cumbersome, poor-manouvering boats with big roomy interiors that attract a person for whom the living space takes precedence. That may or may not describe you.

If you're going sailing - truly sailing - you'll want a boat that sails better than those things. The only way you'll find that out is by sailing on a lot of boats and finding out what elements you like/don't like.

That's the short answer to your question. You've made a good solid start. Keep sailing.

LittleWing77

P.S. Ask yourself: In a red-hot market where all the "good" boats have been snapped up, why are there so many IPs still for sale?

----------
Thank you very much LittleWing for your feedback. I've seen you provide a lot of help to newbies like me over the past 15 months - much appreciated.

Completely understand your points about the sailing "qualities" of the IPs. Someone described them as "tanks on water" and I admit that the safety aspect was a key appeal to me in case of grounding in unchartered waters. The other is that they seem to do well down-wind... My plan is to follow the trade winds westwards and I don't plan to spend too much in tight marinas, instead anchoring or on mooring balls. - Wouldn't that make IPs rather well-suited for those plans? But I understand when you say that my "choice" of IPs makes it sounds like I have doubts about my sailing skills and thus just looking for safety of a tank - that was my mistake here...

BUT: the whole "sail more before buying a boat" I struggle with... How to "sail more" without buying boat (besides the Hunter 28 of my club)? Seems to me a chicken-and-egg thing which I had sought to help resolver here...
Thanks again - your last point in the post scriptum seems valid
Ralph71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 08:58   #32

[QUOTE=thomm225;3320174]The thing about full keel boats is that you get one that is very seaworthy at a very low price; $2,000 and up.

They are good as a first boat because you won't know how much you will be sailing until you actually buy.

There are lots of beautiful boats at the marinas that are rarely used.

I've had my boat for 9 years now and sail the lower Bay mainly as far North as Tangier to near Pocomoke and out as far as Chesapeake Light.

It's a good seaworthy boat, and it was basically free at $2,000.

Just something to consider.

I was caught in winds over 30 knots in the bay this passed September and the boat did great crossing the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay even with too much sail up.

There's another guy an here that bought his Bristol 27 for $1,000 and sailed it across the Pacific, Indian, and Atlantic Oceans.

----------
Thank you very much for your feedback. My problem, to be perfectly honest, is that I don't have the technical skills (or time, for that matter) for a "project" boat. Which is why I would rather spend more for a newer boat in the hope that it will have FEWER issues... Yes, I know that's a huge liability once I'm off the grid and that I need to do everything I can to get up to speed before. Which is why I first need the boat and then learn it all on her...
Old 14-01-2021, 09:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Here's an interesting You Tube review on the Island Packet. This is from a Canadian guy who does a nice job of supplying background info on many popular cruisers. Like most Canadians, he tends to be overly polite and open minded about many brands we eshew. Yes, the IP is built like a brick outhouse and won't win many races but will get you there eventually. If TSHTF it'll be on you and not the boat.
--------
Thank you very much Joel for the link. I saw this as part of my "research" on the IP brand and it reinforced my own perceptions and views. I've lived in Canada for 4 yrs so have nothing but great things to say about Canucks ;-)
Old 14-01-2021, 09:18   #34

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Spend 20 of your 100k and buy a boat. Owning and skippering your own boat is much different from skippering a rental, or club boat. Learning to sail is the easy part. Fixing boats is the hard part. After a year or two you will know better which boat suits your needs.
Old 14-01-2021, 09:23   #35

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Ralph, by giving Island Packet as your reference point boat, what it conveys is that you need to sail a LOT more. IPs are poor-sailing, cumbersome, poor-manouvering boats with big roomy interiors that attract a person for whom the living space takes precedence. That may or may not describe you.

If you're going sailing - truly sailing - you'll want a boat that sails better than those things. The only way you'll find that out is by sailing on a lot of boats and finding out what elements you like/don't like.

That's the short answer to your question. You've made a good solid start. Keep sailing.

LittleWing77

P.S. Ask yourself: In a red-hot market where all the "good" boats have been snapped up, why are there so many IPs still for sale?
It would help with credibility of the above statements to state how many IPs you owned and for how long.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 09:34   #36

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

Availability, equipage and condition of prospective boats will quickly winnow your choices.

While doing research is very helpful, actually getting onboard to inspect and possibly sail will be the true test. In this regard you may very well end up with a boat you like that was never on your initial list.

Good luck.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 10:10   #37

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

You're getting a lot of advice. My input is, if you think you are going to do extended cruising, you might want to look at a slightly larger boat, like 38-40 feet. But it's a personal decision driven by finances among other things. And yes, fin keels are okay.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 10:21   #38

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph71 View Post
--------
Thank you very much Joel for the link. I saw this as part of my "research" on the IP brand and it reinforced my own perceptions and views. I've lived in Canada for 4 yrs so have nothing but great things to say about Canucks ;-)
Canucks ??? Is that like Hosers?
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 10:30   #39

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph71 View Post
----------
Thank you very much for your feedback. My problem, to be perfectly honest, is that I don't have the technical skills (or time, for that matter) for a "project" boat. Which is why I would rather spend more for a newer boat in the hope that it will have FEWER issues... Yes, I know that's a huge liability once I'm off the grid and that I need to do everything I can to get up to speed before. Which is why I first need the boat and then learn it all on her...
I wouldn't say my $2,000 boat (Bristol 27) was a project boat.

I was sailing it maybe one month after I bought it. I bought it 75 miles North of here on the Eastern Shore.

I had to totally unload it then paint the bottom. It was full as the PO had left it near here on his way back to Massachusetts after a 2 year cruise to Florida and the Bahamas.

It had been on the hard for 5 years and the PO's son was in California which explains some of the delay.

But I understand not wanting to mess with an old boat. It's a 1974 and I have done lots of upgrades in the past 9 years and putting another $10,000 into it.

It was my 12th boat. 5th sailboat.

This website was my guide (along with the Mahina Website posted earlier)

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 11:02   #40

Boat: Alerion Express 28

I'm not buying a boat but Neal's site is terrific. Anyone going cruising should take a look.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 12:44   #41

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Have you looked at any Cape Dorys?

These boats are older, mostly mid-80s, but there are many around that have been beautifully restored and maintained. The 36, 33 and even the 31 may fit your needs.

I used to sail a great deal on the Chesapeake and the nice thing about Cape Dorys is their relative immunity to snagging crab and lobster traps. Not sure what's so special about their modified full keel with attached rudder, but we've yet to snag a trap line in 8 years of live-aboard summers in Maine and Nova Scotia. Good sailors and the cutter rigs are very versatile in a wide range of conditions.

Orion Jim, who posted earlier in this thread, has a 31 that he takes to Bermuda each year. Great boats, pretty and they can take a lot more than you can in bad conditions.

PM us or Jim if you'd like to discuss Cape Dorys in more depth.

Cheers and happy shopping.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 13:40   #42
lyl

"I wouldn't say my $2,000 boat (Bristol 27) was a project boat...."

i want the same deal...
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 14:31   #43

[QUOTE=thomm225;3320263]I wouldn't say my $2,000 boat (Bristol 27) was a project boat.

I was sailing it maybe one month after I bought it. I bought it 75 miles North of here on the Eastern Shore.

I had to totally unload it then paint the bottom. It was full as the PO had left it near here on his way back to Massachusetts after a 2 year cruise to Florida and the Bahamas.

It had been on the hard for 5 years and the PO's son was in California which explains some of the delay.

But I understand not wanting to mess with an old boat. It's a 1974 and I have done lots of upgrades in the past 9 years and putting another $10,000 into it.

It was my 12th boat. 5th sailboat.

This website was my guide (along with the Mahina Website posted earlier)

---------------
Thank you. Yes, familiar with this site. Unfortunately it only goes to boats with 32ft. How I wish the same site existed for 32-40ft boats. Is there??
Old 14-01-2021, 14:47   #44

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Tartan
Calibre
Sabre

? look at these also.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 15:09   #45

I have sailed on many IP s and owned a IP44. The IP35 is the worst sailor and real dog upwind. The IP32 is a better sailboat. So is the IP37.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat