Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2021, 15:19   #46

Re: 1st time buyer: IP 350's - comparable boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
It would help with credibility of the above statements to state how many IPs you owned and for how long.
I've never owned them. Just sailed them for other people. Bleuch.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 18:11   #47

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

Thanks for the link to Cabo Rico. Interesting but how did you narrow down the choice at first? I'm looking for 34-38ft and have $100-150K to spend... Where do I start??[/QUOTE]

It’s not really that complicated, start searching! Sailboatlistings lets you create and save a search- length, age, price and start. Look for boats you like without limiting the manufacturer. Age, length and price should narrow the list to a manageable number. When you find a boat you like, drill down, read reviews and create a specific search to find all the examples of that model.

Dreamin’
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 18:13   #48

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

Also consider working with a buyer’s broker. Find someone who you trust and knows more than the folk on the internet.

Going down the same path.

Dreamin’
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 19:04   #49

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

We live on a Pacific Seacraft 40 but they made/make versions of 34 and 37 feet also. I think it could be another brand to explore that would tick the boxes you have. Really well built - many or most are cutter rigs. Long chord fin keel and enclosed prop apertures. They are not race boats by any means but do sail reasonably well
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 19:13   #50

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
It would help with credibility of the above statements to state how many IPs you owned and for how long.

+1 on that. Having read all the pages until I came across your comment, I had been thinking exactly the same. This forum has people who actually own or have owned Water boats">Blue Water Boats and those interested in the concept or at least enjoy the camaraderie of like minded people. And then there is the few who have to nit pick something with little to no reference.

I can't believe how patient and kind the OP has been. So I will with all respects to him give the short answer to his question of other boats like the IP35 irrespective of my opinion of a IP35 of which I have seen a few out sailing in Mexico. A very good boat with a good reputation of high quality build and comes from the drafting board of Bill Crealock is the Pacific Seacraft 37. I do believe it fits most of his criteria. Another good one IMHO is a S&S Tartan 37.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 10:48   #51
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
And then there is the few who have to nit pick something with little to no reference.
Although I've been one of those 'no reference' folks, I couldn't help but share my opinion with the OP - just because I had been thinking exactly like him until I met the experienced sailors here. Like everyone on this forum, I want the best for the OP, and I geniuinely would like him to be very happy with his eventual decision - I truly wish this for him with all my heart. My concern was him disqualifiying many other sailboats, which could be bought with a fraction of his budget, due to his good impression with the IPs. He can still buy an IP in the end, but I believe such outcome should happen after him considering every other sailboat that can do the job within his price range.
Later on, he actually stated that mentioning IP350 was not a good starting point to communicate what he needed from the community here, and this made me relieved; I think he is getting closer to find the sailboat that will give him a big smile. How lovely it would be to find him a sailboat for the half of his budget so that he can have some extra funds left for the future surprises; it seems to me as if the surprises around here could tend to come with ridiculous bills. He is quite the patient man...
I think what will help him a lot is a list of good bluewater sailboats with proven qualities - a short list of monohull sailboats in his price range, the kind of monohulls which are no doubt a few of the best in their class regardless of their keels and such. He can then study the boats on the list and decide which one is the best option for him among them. Therefore, I would like to invite the experienced sailors here to slowly build the list with their valuable inputs. I mean there are bluewater monohulls in his price range, which no sailor here will have anything bad to say about them. A few of those boats could be older than 15 yrs, A few of them could be bulb keels, and such. After a reasonable explaination of what a couple of comprimeses with the specs could bring to the table, I think OP will be making a sound decision.
Despite my lack of experience, I'll suggest a boat to add to his list. As mentioned earlier, Contessa 35 could be a great option for him. Experienced folks, please explain me why it could be a bad addition to the OP's list; I hope this can trigger a conversation that may help the OP.
Thanks everyone...
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 10:59   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Tartan
Calibre
Sabre

? look at these also.
--------
Thank you very much Gadagirl and these 3 are (were) on my shortlist. Thank you
Ralph71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 11:03   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
Have you looked at any Cape Dorys?

These boats are older, mostly mid-80s, but there are many around that have been beautifully restored and maintained. The 36, 33 and even the 31 may fit your needs.

I used to sail a great deal on the Chesapeake and the nice thing about Cape Dorys is their relative immunity to snagging crab and lobster traps. Not sure what's so special about their modified full keel with attached rudder, but we've yet to snag a trap line in 8 years of live-aboard summers in Maine and Nova Scotia. Good sailors and the cutter rigs are very versatile in a wide range of conditions.

Orion Jim, who posted earlier in this thread, has a 31 that he takes to Bermuda each year. Great boats, pretty and they can take a lot more than you can in bad conditions.

PM us or Jim if you'd like to discuss Cape Dorys in more depth.

Cheers and happy shopping.
--------
Thank you very much and I will take another/closer look. To be honest: age of boat was one of my initial key considerations, i.e. hoping to find sth slightly younger than mid-80's
Old 15-01-2021, 11:06   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
You're getting a lot of advice. My input is, if you think you are going to do extended cruising, you might want to look at a slightly larger boat, like 38-40 feet. But it's a personal decision driven by finances among other things. And yes, fin keels are okay.
--------
Thank you very much. My key consideration re size is that it will likely be just me, possibly +1. From following CF for past 15 months, I concluded that for single-handers it's best to stay within that size range...
Old 15-01-2021, 11:12   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
Thanks for the link to Cabo Rico. Interesting but how did you narrow down the choice at first? I'm looking for 34-38ft and have $100-150K to spend... Where do I start??
It’s not really that complicated, start searching! Sailboatlistings lets you create and save a search- length, age, price and start. Look for boats you like without limiting the manufacturer. Age, length and price should narrow the list to a manageable number. When you find a boat you like, drill down, read reviews and create a specific search to find all the examples of that model.

Dreamin’[/QUOTE]

-------------
Thank you very much and I will do that... spend more time on sites selling boats and less on CF ;-) Any sites you would strongly recommend besides YachtWorld and Sailboatlistings?
Old 15-01-2021, 11:14   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
We live on a Pacific Seacraft 40 but they made/make versions of 34 and 37 feet also. I think it could be another brand to explore that would tick the boxes you have. Really well built - many or most are cutter rigs. Long chord fin keel and enclosed prop apertures. They are not race boats by any means but do sail reasonably well
--------
Thank you very much. Yes, Pacific Seacraft are on my short list based upon specs. Great to hear from an OWNER that you strongly recommend one, very helpful
Old 15-01-2021, 11:20   #57

Boat: Bristol 27

Friend of mine here in Norfolk has his Westsail 32 For Sale. ($29,000)

It's a beast of a blue water boat and in good shape. I've heard the engine run and been down below. Nice boat.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...le-244985.html

It's also at Bay Harbor Brokerage.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 11:20   #58
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph71 View Post
--------
Thank you very much. Yes, Pacific Seacraft are on my short list based upon specs. Great to hear from an OWNER that you strongly recommend one, very helpful
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...ft-40-3694622/
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 11:22   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
+1 on that. Having read all the pages until I came across your comment, I had been thinking exactly the same. This forum has people who actually own or have owned Blue Water Boats and those interested in the concept or at least enjoy the camaraderie of like minded people. And then there is the few who have to nit pick something with little to no reference.

I can't believe how patient and kind the OP has been. So I will with all respects to him give the short answer to his question of other boats like the IP35 irrespective of my opinion of a IP35 of which I have seen a few out sailing in Mexico. A very good boat with a good reputation of high quality build and comes from the drafting board of Bill Crealock is the Pacific Seacraft 37. I do believe it fits most of his criteria. Another good one IMHO is a S&S Tartan 37.
--------
Thank you very much for your kind words. Both the Pacific Seacraft and Tartan are indeed strong contenders on my short list. I actually do appreciate all feedback from experience cruisers - some more helpful than other, but most, I would hope, is well intended. But yes, it would help to know which feedback is based on direct first-hand experience as this would also allow me to follow up directly (privately) with such a member. But I also acknowledge that my initial post, and using the IP as reference point, may have not been the best idea as this appears to have triggered a lot of strong views...
Old 15-01-2021, 11:30   #60

--------
Thank you for the link and what a beauty. I've looked at her before but slightly above my target size and price range. I'd have to work another 12 months to afford her and thus delay the dream longer... I want to go small(er) and now

Tags
boat