Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2022, 09:43   #61

Boat: In pursuit of a Hinckley
Re: 1959 Hinckley 42 Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltytar View Post
True, these exist though I have not encountered one (personally) yet.

More often there is concern for hauling a wooden boat, sometimes they will do so with a release of liability waiver (barring negligence on their part - negligence can never be waivered even if they try to say it can, but check with a lawyer before quoting me on that one!).

For insurance I have had good success with State Farm but I have heard there are other insurance agencies such as Markel that are reputable, affordable, and work with wooden boats also if you want more comprehensive coverages.
I have checked with the marina I plan on using and they are good with wooden boats. I have reached out to my insurance broker, State Farm. He said there is no problem with insurance, however there may be limiting factors.

I am still waiting on the yacht broker to send some more pictures and gathering info. There is another forum that the moderator may have first hand knowledge of this boat, but he is cruising now.

Your statement about haul outs has sparked a question I have, and maybe I should wait on books I have ordered to get the answer...but everyone here seems to have a degree of knowledge:
Can you haul a wooden boat too much?
My plan is 4 months in boat shed a year, but is that too much on the hull, spars and standing rigging?
Hinckley or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:48   #62

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

Celestial, where are you located? Bio says northern California?

I haven't had the issue in Savannah but I think wooden sailboats are so rare here that it doesn't even register as an option.

Some regions may have had more problems with uncared for wooden vessels than others, especially where environmental laws make disposal of boats difficult, so I can see why they don't want to deal with the risk. The marina I'm at has three abandoned (fiberglass) sailboats that they can't evict (owner unresponsive) and have to go through heaps of legal issues just to take possession of, then they're saddled with extra boats that have little market value, all while potentially losing income and exposing themselves to liability by having them on the property. So I get why marinas want to limit liabilities as much as possible regardless how I feel about the issue.
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:34   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

The situation here in the SF Bay is wooden boats and f/g illegally anchored and abandoned in slips. There is a greater risk of a wooden one sinking. The. The bureaucracy really begins and the Marina is forced to foot the bill.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:35   #64

That is unfortunate on so many different levels.
Old 11-08-2022, 16:24   #65

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley or Die View Post
That is unfortunate on so many different levels.

Yes, it is unfortunate and you might want to consider the maintenance regiment ahead of you with an old wood boat or dilapidated f/g boat. Auctioned off last week was a Force 50 (Captain Ron boat). It took them 18 months of searching for the owner, filing paper through the city lawyers, paying fees and losing all that slip fee. They told me that there goal is to recover all the out of pocket fees. They cannot give away wood boats that are derelict.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:45   #66

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

The OP lives around Williamsburg, VA - and there are plenty of working boats made of wood in that neck of the woods. He shouldn't have any problem finding a marina on the Middle Peninsula or Northern Neck that will allow a wooden boat to stay there - and there are plenty of yards that know their way around a wooden boat. If he doesn't like one close to home he can always go across the Bay and look for yards that maintain the wooden skipjack fleet. Also, several of the Bay museums have wooden boat building/repair schools, so resources for information and expertise are all around.

I don't think that there's any problem with hauling her out for a few months a year - as long as she's properly braced and supported.

I can relate to not wanting to see the boat die. My boat was in very bad shape after the previous owner (the original one) sailed the boat around the world with his wife. He died shortly thereafter - and the boat was left on the hard for over 3 years - uncovered and open. I just couldn't let such a nice boat - with such history - die. One really does develop a relationship with those boats - you take care of them; they take care of you.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:30   #67

May look great under full sail. Because you will be aboard you won't be able to admire it. We will
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:50   #68

ris8r,
All that is true, and my wife's family is from Gwinn's Island. Loads of resources on the middle and upper peninsulas.

I have a copy of the 2017 survey that the owner had done to determine value. It is favorable. That being said, a lot can happen in half a decade so I will still be getting a survey. Night Wind is on the hard, but fortunately indoors. I have some more pics from the survey and from the broker.

ll this is only adding gas to the spark...lol.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:56   #69

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.50.39 PM.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	262724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.51.07 PM.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	262725  

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.51.28 PM.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	262726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.51.42 PM.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	262727  

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.51.52 PM.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	262728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.52.46 PM.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	262729  

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.52.15 PM.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	262730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.52.54 PM.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	262731  

Old 12-08-2022, 09:59   #70

I would like ya'll's thoughts.... Negative remarks will be needed to help quell the desire.

What id the Good?
What is the bad? (besides the obvious on the coachroof)
What is the ugly? (in this case the pig with the lipstick)
Old 12-08-2022, 11:35   #71

Looks like both starboard and port have the same issues
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.50.39 PM.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	262737  
Old 12-08-2022, 12:02   #72

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

Well, you did just show us the starboard ports twice, I'll just assume the other side looks the same. [emoji846]

I can give impressions but not much more. Really you will need a good book on marine surveying and specifically wood boat surveying. There's so much that goes into it and it's worth finding a reputable professional.

It appears as though she has been well cared for.

The engine looks new. Is it low hours or rebuild? I notice two hoses look to be replaced (unpainted) and the lag screws holding the foundation in place don't have fender washers. Minor nitpick. Check that area for softness in the wood (low point of bilge).

Examine the inside verticals of the coach roof closely, I am not too worried about the gap/check in the wood, that can be repaired, more about any damage done to the interior, and also where that water may have run to. Check all the framing that the coach roof sits on. See how tightly the fiberglass is bonded to the wood. Water can get underneath and travel in confounding directions for unrealistic lengths, but there should be evidence of this if it is the case.

I would run a hose on the deck and find the leaks. You should have some. Most should go away when she takes up a bit. The ones that don't probably have already left little slug trails of evidence behind that a close inspection will reveal.

Beautiful stern, my own vessel has one similar. Check the frames. It's a hard angle for a frame to hold for decades and you may find some splitting or damage to them, it would be good to know. I have 2 cracked frames myself there and I'll get around to sistering them eventually.

Looks like some dezincification of the hull fastener but it looks in otherwise good condition. the suspicious part of me wonders how new it is, because if a new fastener looks like that it might be worth looking into electrical issues.

Always fun to look behind the electrical panels just to see how much care has gone into their wiring. Not necessary I just enjoy it.

Deck looks good. Some proud bungs but barely. Couple checks in the cockpit seats, again can be repaired fairly easily..

Hull looks very fair.

No pictures of the stored rigging. How are the masts blocked up, are they well supported and still true? Rigging good, chain plates firm, sails present?
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:18   #73

LOL. That post was a response to a pic Gronbuk posted way back on page one. He showed the same sorta damage on port. Should have quoted his post. Still learning the ins and outs of this forum posting stuff. I have generally been a soaker of knowledge and a reader of opinions versus an active participant.

On another forum I have been corresponding with a guy up in NE about surveyors etc. He is cruising now and has spotty cell and all that.

I am pretty sure this is not a front burner boat for the broker, so he doesn't have a lot of pics. Those pics were mostly from the 5 year old survey. All the rigging is off the boat now and in some sorta storage. Here is part of the survey:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 3.17.23 PM.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	262738  
Old 12-08-2022, 12:23   #74

The engine is a 2000 Yanmar. So it is relatively new. No hours meter. Also, no shore power to the boat. So there is most likely a need for a complete over haul of electric system...
I think I would do that anyway. Gonna get rid of the CNG as well.

What type of damage does stray electricity do to the structure of the boat? Will it jeopardize integrity, even at just 12v?
Old 12-08-2022, 12:38   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynara View Post
May look great under full sail. Because you will be aboard you won't be able to admire it. We will
I hope I get to let ya'll....maybe need to invest in a drone.