Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2022, 12:40   #106

Boat: In pursuit of a Hinckley
Re: 1959 Hinckley 42 Yawl

I like the idea of a non-pressurized alcohol stove for simplicity. I feel that for this particular boat, the simpler the life the better. Even when it come to electrical system, going to put emphasis on simplicity. I have been considering all sorts of things and have even came down to the conclusion that the ice box is even ok....I don't need to convert to powered refrigeration. Again, I am considering my usage...weekend cruising, day sailing, a week in the bay. No later, if she proves to be the boat I think and want....Maybe then I start thinking longer sustained cruising....I do know, we will never live aboard permanent, so that makes these compromises easier.

I romantically like the idea of stepping back in time every time I board....
Hinckley or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 07:05   #107

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: 1959 Hinckley 42 Yawl

Hope your Hinckley yawl acquisition is working out. If you haven’t already heard, up until the fiberglass era Hinckley (and others) referred to boat sizes based on waterline length. So I’m thinking the boat in consideration is called a Hinckley 34.
We have owned a Hinckley Bermuda 40 for 26 years now, having cruised on her for four, and, after a hurricane-induced sinking, four more years of 8 hour days rebuilding her.
I spend about an average of 4 to 6 hours caring for her for every hour I spend sailing her. And she’s fiberglass. I have no business with a wooden boat. My hat is off with great admiration for those that do.
If you go or have gone that route, there are a couple Hinckley-oriented facebook pages. In addition, Barry Hinckley, grandson of founder Henry Hinckley, has created a website titled Hinckley Club that seeks to connect Hinckley owners and build a database of all Hinckley-built boats, sail or power, wood or fiberglass.
I firmly believe that the beautiful, strong, impeccably crafted, great-sailing Hinckley sailboats are a huge contribution to the American sailing canon, and those entrusted with their care are stewards of our collective nautical heritage.
Good luck. Happy varnishing. Happy sailing.