Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2022, 10:26   #1
CJ7

Boat: Looking
Trailer Sailer Suggestions

Looking for some advice on what to look for. But first, I need to give a bit of background information (apologies in advance if I bloviate too much about my situation). First of all, I am a complete newbie when it comes to sailing. I have long daydreamed about it and living aboard a boat, but I never really looked into it for two reasons. First, I thought it was something only the wealthy could do, and I, a public school teacher, was far from that. Second, my wife frequently suffers from motion sickness, so I figured long hours on a boat was a non-starter. However, after learning recently of the many older affordable sailboats that can be had, and hearing about the effectiveness of seasick patches, I began to daydream again.
Now my wife loves the ocean and loves fishing, but the idea of long travel away from sight of land makes her fearful. But, since she always desired to live by the ocean, and she has warmed to the idea of a boat that she could fish from, I am looking for a comfortable trailer sailer that we could spend a week on in relative comfort (kind of like living out of a small camper). I am hoping that if we can get started on something like that, then we might be able to move up to a larger liveaboard (if the experience is positive). We live about an hour from the gulf, so I am looking for something trailerable to avoid marina fees, but I would like something large enough that I can live with it being my only boat if the experience is not positive enough for my wife. I would like something with standing headroom if possible (I am only 5’9”) and that I can get for around $10K.
Well, that is my long winded way of asking what ships you would recommend? I have heard Catalina’s are good, but lack the standing headroom. Plenty of Macgregors are around here, but I don’t care for the looks of them (though that is secondary if all other boxes can be checked). Anyway thanks in advance for your advice. And, no – getting rid of the wife is not an option. I love her far more than any ocean.
CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 14:21   #2

Boat: 1984 Hunter 31
Re: Trailer Sailer Suggestions

https://improvesailing.com/guides/tr...-with-headroom

I found this list. No clue about any of the boats or the author, but gives an idea of size I guess. None of these look truly trailerable to me. 3-5k lbs to pull out of a ramp (need a truck) plus lots of setup and teardown time.

What I did was start with a Hobie 16. I could park then be in the water in 15 min, singlehanded. Ideally you'd need a beach you can back to and launch off of. I pulled up to the island (not accessible by car so quite private) and camped on the boat several times. threw the sail over the boom for a tent. You can piece a good boat together with nearly free donor boats from folks who just want to get rid of them. Great to learn on cause everything is right there in reach. And it's unsinkable. I liked to push mine to the limit and pitch-polled fairly frequently when i went out when I probably shouldn't have.

I know that didn't really answer the question, but it's the answer I have. Also keep in mind that a little bigger boat most likely isn't that much than what your looking for. There's a lot of value tied up in the trailer. What are slip rates in your area?
AuChante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 14:30   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.

Trailer sailing is going to depend on the towing rig you have.
What’s your tow vehicle?

First pass I’d suggest a C&C Mega30. Standing headroom under the bubble at back of cabin. 8’ beam so road legal. Fast for its length. 4400lb, so around 6,000lb with trailer. Boat can be sailed with keel partially retracted, some can’t do this.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/mega-30-od-cc
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 02:57   #4

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

You should look at the Catalina 22 with a pop-top, or maybe the 25 with same. I can't remember if the 22 actually has standing headroom under the pop-top, but the 25 does.

The biggest issue with trailer sailers is putting the mast up and down. Obviously the smaller the boat the easier this is going to be. But it takes time to get it all done, you can easily spend an hour at the ramp when coming or going. So that's something to keep in mind.

If there's any way you can keep one in a slip at a marina it's definitely a much nicer and easier way to go. Then you could step up to my all time favorite starter boat, the Catalina 27.

Good luck, keep us posted, ask more questions. You can do this !

Old 20-10-2022, 11:37   #5
CJ7

Thank you everyone. Saw this Laguna 26 close to where I live.
Any thoughts?

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1987...boat--8502510/
Old 20-10-2022, 13:42   #6

We owned both a Catalina 22 and a Catalina 25, both with swing keels. The 22 was a great starter boat, easy to rig and launch. The 25 took more effort, but we felt it was worth it. Both boats made it offshore to Santa Cruz Island so they were capable of serious sailing. Get the pop top, the 22 didn't have one, the 25 did and I (6' 2" at the time) appreciated it. We towed both with a 1/2 ton truck. And we didn't pay slip fees, which are $400/mo in San Diego for a 25' boat.

Rigging the 25 for launch or after retrieve took ~1hr. Mast used a gin pole. The 22 was easier, but only 22', though we had 3 adults and 2 teenagers on it for a weekend and survived. We may be slow workers because it takes us an hour to get the powerboat ready for launch. Get a power winch, it's so much easier. Mandatory for a 25.

The Laguna looks good. It has a full keel, which makes launching harder and limits the launch sites. If I remember right it's a bit small inside, so check it out.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 15:58   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hi CJ7,
If you do a search here of "trailer sailer" you will find a bunch of threads that might help you. I don't have any personal experience with the Laguna 26 but given the description of what you are looking for, it is a good one to look at. By the specs it is a light boat and not much ballast which is also not too deep so I would expect the boat to have a bouncy and tippy feel to it in open ocean conditions. It was designed for protected waters like lakes, bays and inland waterways, so if that is where you are headed, it looks good. It also looks like it will have good resale value. Forget the "steering wheel" though. That is a ridiculous addition for this boat. The tiller is what you want to keep, as is.
I also really like the suggestion of the C&C Mega30. Standing headroom in what you are looking for is almost unheard of.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 06:08   #8
CJ7

I had never heard of the C&C mega 30 until this thread, but looking at it, I would love to go in this direction. Unfortunately, I never see any for sale. (Which is probably why I have never heard of it ) . I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for it now.
Old 21-10-2022, 06:29   #9

Boat: 1984 Hunter 31

I can give a little insight to the pop top style boats. I chatted with a fella working on his McGreggor... not the power boat hybrid version, maybe a 25. I got down in the cabin and the pop top thing was awesome! It magically turned a small boat into a big boat. It'd probably get small pretty quick, but it's definitely better than a roof that's just too short.
AuChante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, trailer