Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 20:57   #331

Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

We just heard that the Sun isn't as important to the Earths Temperature as man Made CO2.....

Folks....if you believe that pay your Stupid Tax, buy a Coal Powered electric Car, and buy your Lottery Ticket....

That's classic.
That's science. And I wrote "climate change."
Old 22-03-2015, 21:04   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Whoa.. Information overload.
I'm guessing a good many of these hockey sticks made it into the climate models displayed on graphs such as this?

Quote:
Climate models can recreate the slowdown in global warming since 1998, as long as they correctly factor in crucial variables such as the state of the El Niño system, new research has shown.

The discovery vindicates the models against the accusation that they failed to predict the "alleged hiatus" in surface warming, says CSIRO researcher James Risbey, who led the study.

In the study, published in Nature Climate Change, Risbey and his colleagues looked at a set of 18 climate models featuring data on the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) – the seesawing temperature pattern that determines whether a given period is dominated by El Niño or La Niña conditions.
They then looked only at those models whose PDO settings matched those in the real world, and found that these models gave a much more accurate reconstruction of temperature trends – including the slowdown in warming seen over the past decade and a half.

Read more at: Study vindicates climate models accused of 'missing the pause'
The study

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journ...imate2310.html
Old 22-03-2015, 21:08   #333
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

North America eliminates 100% of CO2 emissions....opps...so what...
What ppm level will that take us to?
Oh no...surely you realize that won't do squat...ha ha ah

What cut and paste MMGW hype sheet do you have for that?
Old 22-03-2015, 21:12   #334

Quote:
North America eliminates 100% of CO2 emissions....opps...so what...
What ppm level will that take us to?
Oh no...surely you realize that won't do squat...ha ha ah

What cut and paste MMGW hype sheet do you have for that?
It is a global issue that requires global solutions. IT DOES NOT TAKE GLOBAL GOVERNMENT. CFCs and acid rain were reduced through international cooperation.
Old 22-03-2015, 21:16   #335
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
It is a global issue that requires global solutions. IT DOES NOT TAKE GLOBAL GOVERNMENT. CFCs and acid rain were reduced through international cooperation.

Ah....NOW we are finally getting somewhere.
So we agree, MMGW is real and we need to do something to stop it.

But if I remember right we were told already to stop our bullying of the developing world. Stop the colonial hegemony thinking we have the right to tell other Countries how to run their lives.

Right?

So which is it? Is the USA the World policemen now for Carbon?
Tell you what, we will pass on this one and let Canada take the lead.
I'll be waiting....wake me when you have China, India and the developing world all lined up...ha ha ha.
Old 22-03-2015, 21:32   #336

Quote:

I'll be waiting....wake me when you have China, India and the developing world all lined up...ha ha ha.

Wakey, wakey

Quote:
Climate change could have a "huge impact" on China, reducing crop yields and harming the environment, the country's top weather scientist has warned, in a rare official admission.

Zheng Guogang told Xinhua news agency that climate change could be a "serious threat" to big infrastructure projects.

He said temperature rises in China were already higher than global averages.
Old 22-03-2015, 21:39   #337
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sign me up....I'm a believer....do I get my decoder ring?
But please....if you cut/paste one more damn thing from your MMGW chat room/facebook cut/paste library I'll be sick.
Old 22-03-2015, 22:03   #338
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Let me start by saying that I've been a hippy chic, who rode a bicycle to work for 17 years out of the last 30 odd years. I and my dad were early adopters of solar hot water. Most of my power comes from solar and I don't own a car. I am also a AGW skeptic.

The sunlight hitting the earth in one hour has more energy in it that the total world energy production from all sources in a year. Co2 emissions are highest over the amazon rain forest and Africa.

The maps showing it warmer now are correct. but then it was warmer in 1960 by about a degree F from 1860, when the earth started warming out of the LIA. (1300-1850) It's been warming since then.

But solar output has fallen since late 90's. Even though co2 is above 400PPM, temperate has not risen at the rates, the models indicated that it would due to CO2 forcing.

The models are just that, models, they generally don't include everything effecting weather / climate change. The sun IS the major source of heat. Actually it's the only exterior source of heat. Greenhouse gases actually make the earth warm enough that it's not an ice ball. without greenhouse gases, we would be dead.

Human CO2 production represents about 3.4% of world CO2 production. Most of the CO2 comes from plant and animal decay (carbon based life) as well as volcanic, etc.

Yes CO2 does effect climate change. But it is not the major driver as the IPCC would have us believe.

Yes the PDO does effect climate. Most climate models left that out.

Current weather forecasts are accurate for about 3 days. These forcasts are also based on weather models yet they are good for all of 3 days most of the time. Yet we are to believe that the climate models from the IPCC are correct for the next 100 years. They have not been correct for the last 10 years.

The climate models used by the IPCC from 1996 onward, have done amazingly poor when compared to actual recorded temperatures. They continue to overestimate the temperature rise.

Myself, I am a skeptic, not a denier. I am currently only mildly concerned with global warming. I am slightly more concerned with global cooling. But I'm weird that way.
Old 22-03-2015, 22:10   #339
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I am currently only mildly concerned with global warming. I am slightly more concerned with global cooling. But I'm weird that way.
What would be harder to deal with?
Global Warming or Global cooling?
Old 22-03-2015, 22:29   #340
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
What would be harder to deal with?
Global Warming or Global cooling?
Global cooling would be a bitch, with shorter growing seasons and loss of harvests. People would die.

Global warming and co2 increase in comparison would be a walk in the park, Increased Co2, actually promotes plant growth. Some sea level rise and we all move to Canada..
Old 23-03-2015, 00:23   #341

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Who'd have thunk. The amazing ability to predict the past.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-03-2015, 02:04   #342

Quote:
I think you need glasses or a better monitor.

dashed line = NCDC raw.

Now go read the post from Curry's blog.

BTW - she is a skeptic.
A little bit of research on Judith Curry tells me that she is an AGW supporter that is critical of the doom and gloom "marketing". Not sure that makes her a skeptic in the true sense.

Climategate exposed the manipulation of data to favour desired outcomes. I could very well be wrong, but homogenization seems like the perfect mechanism to employ for this, especially as in the climate science world it refers to the rather vague technique of removing "non climate change" data from result sets.

It's interesting "NCDC raw" data does not demonstrate as much differential increase in temperature over the years as "adjusted" data does. Bit like the hockey sticks that have represented anything other than the reality (until modified after the event, of course).
Old 23-03-2015, 02:08   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Global cooling would be a bitch, with shorter growing seasons and loss of harvests. People would die.

Global warming and co2 increase in comparison would be a walk in the park, Increased Co2, actually promotes plant growth. Some sea level rise and we all move to Canada..
Exactly Sailorchic. A drop in temperature by 5 deg C would be truly catastrophic. Considering we are supposed to be around 10000 years into an interglacial period between ice ages, and the interglacial periods last around 10000 to 12000 years it is a very real possible scenario.

I live in the tropics which does quite well. It would be my non scientific opinion that global warming would expand the tropics towards the poles. Many people prosper in equatorial regions. Should another major cooling event occur, polar conditions would expand towards the equator. From what I can tell, people and lots of other things don't do so well in polar conditions.
Old 23-03-2015, 02:15   #344

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

When I was a kid you could buy an ice cream cone for 5 cents. You could eat this ice cream outside all the way down to the cone.

50 years later and $5, and I can't keep up with the rate the sun melts my ice cream.

Irrefutable proof of global warming.
Old 23-03-2015, 02:20   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
When I was a kid you could buy an ice cream cone for 5 cents. You could eat this ice cream outside all the way down to the cone.

50 years later and $5, and I can't keep up with the rate the sun melts my ice cream.

Irrefutable proof of global warming.
I think your contributing to the paranoia. Have you had this melting claim peer reviewed? I can tell you for a fact that the wife and I stopped for an ice cream today and we even sat outside of the shop and ate them and they didn't drip a drop! Irrefutable proof AGW is a scam!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water