Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2019, 20:24   #1

End of season sailing

Looking for crew on a 45' sailboat for the last two weeks of the season starting October 3rd. Sailing in the Rhode island / Marthas vineyard area.
Crew will have his/her cabin. Crew pays for his/her food.

Experienced captain. Safety first.

We stsrt at New Bedford MA. Haul out at Dighton, MA.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 10:41   #2

Re: End of season sailing

hi,
i'm located on aquidneck island. i just bought my own 1st boat, cd27, still on the hard in mattapoisett waiting for a new shaft and cutless bearing, and looking unlikely to get splashed for the few remaining weeks of the season. re: skills; basics ok, don't get sea sick, modest off-shore experience, low-key and reliable, weak on anchoring, charting and a bit lubberly on sail trim. last year helped on a delivery from charleston to st. thomas. you can check me out on facebook, phillip southern from newport.

take care, phil
philso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 04:12   #3

Hi Phil, sorry for the delay. The weather forecast for this week is sucjh that most days there will be a small craft warning which in practice is a warning to all recreational sailors to stay in harbour. I allready have crew for the last week. Are you free between oct 4 to oct 8?
If yes let me know and we will touch base again on oct 2 or 3 and recheck the weather forecast.

Cheers
Boby
Old 30-09-2019, 20:42   #4

hi, Boby;

oct. 4th - 8th shouldn't be a problem. i'll be in mattapoisett (boat is on the hard at brownell's) tomorrow, (tues.) and probably on the 2nd also. possibly easy to meet you over coffee in the new bedford area. it's no problem covering my food, etc. expenses, but i'll need to know about provisioning and the logistics of getting me to/from your boat, at some point.

take care, phil
Old 01-10-2019, 04:33   #5

Hi Phil,

1. For 4-5 days, you can practically bring your food this will save time on provisioning.
2. The weather forecast on Windy suggests that the 4,5,7,8 of october are too windy. They predict gusts up to 25-30 kts. I expect the noaa to issue small craft warning on those days. So we just might be waiting in harbour.
To/from the boat is easy, you show up at the marina gate and I pick uou up with the dinghy.

Let me know what you think.

Boby
Old 01-10-2019, 06:27   #6

hi, Boby;

i'm headed to mattapoisett in a bit, so if it's convenient to meet somewhere between aquidneck island and there today, i can probably make it happen. as far as your sailing dates, i can lend a hand most any time between now and around mid-month, with an appropriate heads up.

regarding getting to and from the boat, if there's no convenient place to leave my car and then get back to it, i'll be depending on a bus from newport. it's not a problem, but the scheduling will be less flexible. do you know yet which marina you'll be departing from?

in respect to provisioning, it's probably easier to talk either in person or on the phone. it'd be good to know about your on-board meal routine. on your own for breakfast & lunch and sit-down meals in the eve'? should i bring my own plate, cup, etc.? room in icebox for cold cuts and yogurt? i can do spaghetti o's straight out of the can if necessary, but i'd like to know what other options there are. i'll also need to figure out where to do my shopping; a bag or two of groceries aboard a bus may be problematic.

i wouldn't mind talking over the phone, but don't want to post my number publicly. i can send my contact info if there's a way to do it safely.

i'll try to check this post a couple of times while i'm in your general vicinity today.

take care, phil
Old 01-10-2019, 08:09   #7

We will be departing from popes island matina, parking is not a problem. We can meet today at the marina gate between 1500 to 1700. Let me know what works for you.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:32   #8

I can be there around 3:00. Sound ok?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:40   #9

See you at 1500, popes island marina gate.

Tags
sail, sailing