Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2010, 13:24   #1

Boat: Island Packet 380
Sad Day . . . End of Another Sailing Season

Well, we pulled our boat "Painkiller" out of the water today and placed her in storage for another Minnesota winter. Another sailing season gone . It was a good season. How was your sailing season?

Kind of a milestone year of sorts, as this was the 10th sailing season on "Painkiller". Lots of great fun and memories; boy, when I think back on the amount of knowledge and experience we had when we first bought her...wow, I guess we have come a long way. As we were putting her away, we were already thinking about what repairs and changes we should be thinking about in the spring.

And as part of the 10 year milestone, last night over dinner, hubby and I were calculating how much we have spent in 10 years on slip fees, upgrades, storage, etc. Wow, unbelievable But of course all worth it. With that amount, I could be cruising by now. Reminder to self, don't add up what you have spent on the boat in the span of 10 years....you don't want to know.

Well, hope your sailing season was a good one and I hope spring comes quickly.
Old 30-10-2010, 13:32   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsailing View Post
Reminder to self, don't add up what you have spent on the boat in the span of 10 years .

Their ain't no price on the enjoyment she has given you. And just think: She is there under her covers just waiting till next year to lead you on some exciting adventures!!!!!!!!

Go say hello to her in the depth of winter when she is cold and missing you

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 14:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
The summer was fabulous here in the BC portion of the Salish Sea. Blue skies and fair winds all summer. I started my season in winter last year and see no reason to stop this year. There is less sunshine and it does get chilly in winter here and you do have to keep a weather eye out for storms that can really blow but, the anchorages are quiet and the temperatures are usually not too bad. In mid winter I often sail in my survival suit to keep warm and take advantage of my choice of anchorages.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 14:24   #4

Boat: Pearson 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
The summer was fabulous here in the BC portion of the Salish Sea. Blue skies and fair winds all summer. I started my season in winter last year and see no reason to stop this year. There is less sunshine and it does get chilly in winter here and you do have to keep a weather eye out for storms that can really blow but, the anchorages are quiet and the temperatures are usually not too bad. In mid winter I often sail in my survival suit to keep warm and take advantage of my choice of anchorages.
That's hardcore!
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 14:47   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
That's hardcore!
LOL I guess it depends on the survival suit. It does make me look like an orange snowman though. If you don't dress really warm hypothermia sneaks up on you. I've noticed that I might feel reasonably comfortable and that my energy level will still drop over the course of 4 or 5 hours and then if something does occur I'm not in a state to make the right decision. If you do go in the water without it you don't have anytime to appreciate what a lovely day it is to die all alone out in the middle of the sea

Old 30-10-2010, 15:17   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
You must of had a hole in the sky where your at. Here in the San Juan's and farther south it seemed it rained most of this summer. I even had to buy a new GPS so I could maneuver in the fog and dense rain. One of the wettest summers I've seen for a while.
And we only had 3 days that got over 80º F.

So I guess that tells you what kind of sailing season I had the year.
Old 30-10-2010, 16:07   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
You must of had a hole in the sky where your at. Here in the San Juan's and farther south it seemed it rained most of this summer. I even had to buy a new GPS so I could maneuver in the fog and dense rain. One of the wettest summers I've seen for a while.
And we only had 3 days that got over 80º F.

So I guess that tells you what kind of sailing season I had the year.
I was shocked to hear the same thing about Vancouver but from Sidney on up to Desolation it was fabulous.

Old 30-10-2010, 16:18   #8

Quote:
I was shocked to hear the same thing about Vancouver but from Sidney on up to Desolation it was fabulous.
I knew I should have kept going...........North.................._/)
Old 30-10-2010, 16:26   #9

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. Hope your winter is a short one and you're back in the water before you know it. We are fortunate here down under and can sail all year round. Believe it or not, in one of the sought out cruising areas of the world, we can even still find an anchorage to ourselves. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hike4.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	20651  
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 16:49   #10

Boat: 1974 Paceship PY23
The last day of the season is always a sad one. I am right there with you in cold upstate NY!
Old 30-10-2010, 17:35   #11

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
End of summer for you folk - the beginning for us! We sail all year round. Winter here is often very settled and can be beautiful sailing in 10 - 12 degree c days.
Old 30-10-2010, 18:46   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
my season hasnt yet begun-- will begin in december when i set sail out of san diego...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 21:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my season hasnt yet begun-- will begin in december when i set sail out of san diego...
Yep! The first time I ever anchored out on my own boat was in the La Jolla Bay on a Christmas eve.