Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 19:12   #91

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

Maybe I am missing something, but a lot of comments saying that you need the MMSI number for tracking. I think the MMSI is issued when you apply for your radio station license. If the boat doesn't have AIS, and/or doesn't broadcast AIS, then having the MMSI number is useless.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 19:45   #92

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Google class D DSC...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 20:01   #93

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
What kind of AIS do you have Jim?

What would a low mounted radar mean other then shorter watch times Wot?
We have a Vesper Vision class B AIS... been quite happy with it.

Some would worry about being exposed to the microwave radiation from the radar. If it can only be reached standing on tippy-toe and stretching up, I wouldn't worry about it. With the low power pulsed radars that we have on yachts the exposure when out of the direct beam is trivial.

Jim
Old 11-10-2020, 20:05   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
This boat does not have AIS. I can touch the radar standing on the deck as well. Not sure if that matters???
Not having AIS, that would however be very valid reason to scrub the trip.

I would also question the judgement of someone going offshore without such a simple and effective safety device.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 20:09   #95

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
Not having AIS, that would however be very valid reason to scrub the trip.

I would also question the judgement of someone going offshore without such a simple and effective safety device.

Do you have an AIS transponder?
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 20:22   #96

Quote:
Do you have an AIS transponder?
Of course, I’m no heathen, one of the first things I did.

And no, you can’t have my MMSI lol
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 20:30   #97

[
SailingSue

I have crewed quit a bit and have posted a few times about it
That said:
I bring a few things with me and keep them with me

1: Delorme (now Garmin) InReach
set to pin drop every 30 minutes, mapshare public, unlimited
freedom plan which I make available to the entire crew to send
"I'm fine" messages home once a day.

2. Passport

3. Cash and CC enough to get home from anywhere on the route

AND I'M A GUY, RESONABLY FIT

I've had some wild experiences
Spent 3 weeks on " SV Shenanigans" before they set off in the
Pacific. Just Google it
YOU NEVER KNOW
ESPECIALLY FOR A LADY
I've said it before, ASK FOR REFERENCES, 2 Minimum
Just my two cents
Cheers & Fair Winds
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 20:35   #98

I don't go offshore without my InReach - on anyone's boat. It's a backup EPIRB, let's family/friends know where you are, and allows instant contact to SAR. I'll use it to establish a watch schedule with SAR anytime things get "sporty" offshore.

If I was a woman alone with an unknown man offshore - well, that's an even better reason to carry an InReach. And there's no reason to tell the guy that you have it and that it's turned on. They transmit fine through most fiberglass decks.

But in this case. I wouldn't go. What sort of guy wouldn't have anticipated that the OP would need some sort of ID before locking herself up in a small boat offshore with a guy she just met? It's a safe bet that he's got other problems - or is too clueless to risk going to sea with.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 21:37   #99
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

What would a low mounted radar mean other then shorter watch times Wot?
Like I said, it wouldn't automatically be a show stopper or even a red flag however for me, it would be a flag to look closer.

Some examples -

Just how high is it off the deck? (Shawna maybe 5'2" with short arms or 6'6" with long arms).

How high is the cabin top and how far away is the radar if standing on the cabin top?

A radar that can be touched from deck level is unusual so was it installed by someone who knew what they were doing or was it mounted by someone taking cheap shortcuts. If the latter, what else has been done on the cheap.

How well does it work?

What is the range in decent sized seas?

Does the boom cause interference when reefed?

Are there other metal objects in the radar sight line (Solar panels etc)?

A closer inspection may prove that all is good or it may do otherwise.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 00:34   #100

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Couldn't agree more.

SS, DOB bank info, really, nowhere was that suggestion raised except by you, I kind of feel sorry for you if the simple straight forward question put induces this level of fear in you.

Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 00:51   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Mind you, it cuts both ways. Many years ago out of Darwin, a mother/teenage daughter pair took on a male crew member. The boat returned with only him on board.

When I was 22, a friend of mine took on a crew member(male) that I had a really bad feeling about. Everything about the guy was suspicious, and he was a lot bigger than my friend. They took off to cruise from Oahu to Kauai. Three months later, the crew member came back to my marina with my friends boat. He said my friend had gone back to the mainland, and given him the boat. To this day, I regret not notifying the authorities to investigate this, and I never heard from my friend again. There are people out there that can't and shouldn't be trusted.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:03   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivansgarage View Post
OMG what a perfect place to abuse and hide a body, in the middle of the ocean, she fell off the boat.. end of story

If it doesn't feel comfortable, it probably ain't..
If it doesn't feel right, it's probably not...

Gut feelings are usually correct.....

Always- ALWAYS- go with your gut. Your head and your heart will lie, but not your gut...
Old 12-10-2020, 02:12   #103

Boat: Tayana 47

As a skipper I wouldn’t mind giving details about my boat to prospective crew. But I think there’s a good chance that the skipper in question is a perfectly respectable person, just a little paranoid about answering your question and probably even he couldn’t quite put his finger on why it made him uncomfortable so he overreacted. I think lots of people these days are a little paranoid about things that have very little likelihood of harming them so I wouldn’t judge him too harshly.

Most of us go about our lives associating with people who know us, our family, our friends, and our reputation so nobody asks us for references or for detailed information about us. So when someone does ask, it can just seem odd and off putting. But upon some reflection we should understand that in this unique situation of crewing, the other person doesn’t know our friends and reputation and whole history so they are gathering info to try to get comfortable with us even though some of the info may be of very little use to them. Unfortunately, there’s just no substitute for really getting to know someone. So, even as a fit, 6’1” guy, before committing to crew for a stranger (male or female) I’d want to spend at least a few days with them and hopefully meet some of their friends and take note of how they carry themself in various situations. It’s just tough to get comfortable enough to trust your life to someone when all you know is basic facts and numbers, which tell you nothing about what you really want to know, their character and stability. All that said, whether the skipper was actually a good guy or not, Shawna has to listen to her gut until she can get to know the guy well enough to get comfortable with him. This situation sort of reminds me of internet dating that I did when I was single, where both people are looking so hard for clues about the other that sometimes really trivial stuff can become an insurmountable roadblock to furthering the relationship. It’s unfortunate but how it is and crossed wires like Shawna experienced are bound to happen.

One thing crew can do to put family at ease and to document a connection to the vessel is, soon after arriving at boat to crew on, post some selfies on social media or sent to friends that include you and your your skipper and his boat and boat name and perhaps even the registration number carved into it. For me, a skipper who didn’t want to be photographed with me would be a red flag.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:13   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You missed the point .

You suggested in some circumstances some may have found 50 shades to be erotic and romantic .
PF states No one actually thinks it’s romantic in either case in real life.
PF doesn't dispute the word erotic so it remains unclear if PF agrees or disagrees with this aspect of your claim.
As a fantasy, people have all sorts of things that get them going. Actually being in those situations in reality are a very different thing, both romantically and erotically. (From an erotic fantasy perspective, I’m not sure if the bank balance matters, though as I don’t actually know anyone who likes 50 Shades, I can’t say as I’ve asked anyone who might have a useful opinion in that area. All of the conversations I’ve had about the book/movie have been criticisms of various aspects. Some of my friends got quite entertaining to listen to about it once they got going. I appreciate a good rant - tho not romantically or erotically. :P )

As it happens I was replying quickly and didn’t think it was necessary to specify both. But both would apply.

As far as the actual topic of the thread - if someone gives you the creeps, skip it. There may not be anything wrong with them, but it’s hard enough sharing small spaces and stressful situations with people you get along with. If someone gives you the creeps it means you’re going to be constantly a little bit stressed and uncomfortable around them and that is not a recipe for a happy crew.

If you ask for information - even if it is information that they find odd to ask for - and the response is essentially some kind of paranoia instead of reasonable communication like “I don’t understand what you want that for, what are you trying to accomplish, maybe you meant something else?” then again, this is probably a clue that this person is unlikely to be pleasant to be stuck on a boat with. I mean, if nothing else, when you are stuck with someone for a while in a small space that makes it essentially impossible to really get away from each other, communication is pretty important. When you are trying to adjust things onboard or hand over between watches, communication is important. People need to be able to communicate sensibly.

(And personally I’d be put off additionally because I’d tend to feel - rightly or wrongly - that if something minor without much pressure makes them freak out, their performance under pressure in bad weather or an emergency is also likely to be less than ideal, and that’s just unsafe in a practical way.)
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:28   #105
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
As a fantasy, people have all sorts of things that get them going. Actually being in those situations in reality are a very different thing, both romantically and erotically. (From an erotic fantasy perspective, I’m not sure if the bank balance matters, though as I don’t actually know anyone who likes 50 Shades, I can’t say as I’ve asked anyone who might have a useful opinion in that area. All of the conversations I’ve had about the book/movie have been criticisms of various aspects. Some of my friends got quite entertaining to listen to about it once they got going. I appreciate a good rant - tho not romantically or erotically. :P )

As it happens I was replying quickly and didn’t think it was necessary to specify both. But both would apply.

As far as the actual topic of the thread - if someone gives you the creeps, skip it. There may not be anything wrong with them, but it’s hard enough sharing small spaces and stressful situations with people you get along with. If someone gives you the creeps it means you’re going to be constantly a little bit stressed and uncomfortable around them and that is not a recipe for a happy crew.

If you ask for information - even if it is information that they find odd to ask for - and the response is essentially some kind of paranoia instead of reasonable communication like “I don’t understand what you want that for, what are you trying to accomplish, maybe you meant something else?” then again, this is probably a clue that this person is unlikely to be pleasant to be stuck on a boat with. I mean, if nothing else, when you are stuck with someone for a while in a small space that makes it essentially impossible to really get away from each other, communication is pretty important. When you are trying to adjust things onboard or hand over between watches, communication is important. People need to be able to communicate sensibly.

(And personally I’d be put off additionally because I’d tend to feel - rightly or wrongly - that if something minor without much pressure makes them freak out, their performance under pressure in bad weather or an emergency is also likely to be less than ideal, and that’s just unsafe in a practical way.)
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I find myself in agreement with all the points you made.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crewing, ketch