Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 11:19   #76

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
In FInland it's visible registration number on both sides of the vessel. No carving whatsoever. In Sweden there's no mandatory registration at all so no numbers either, thou there's voluntary registration possibility..
I stand corrected. I thought federal registration was a universal practice - but apparently it's not. However, the US is far from unique in having it.

If I was taking on crew and one of them asked for Scorpius's registration number, I wouldn't hesitate to tell them. In fact you can all know: It's 801705. Besides, the first time anyone uses the head it's right there: carved into the ceiling (not the deckhead, but the hull lining) in 4" numbers.

It's also easily obtained from the federal government's database. Just type in the name (Scorpius) and port of registry (Victoria, BC) of the vessel - both prominently displayed, as is required by law, on the stern - and up it comes: name, port of registry, registration number, MMSI number, type, tonnage, dimensions, etc.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:12   #77

Personally, I would not go with the guy, trust your gut.
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 15:00   #78
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
Reminds me of something I heard about that 50 shade gray movie.

Super rich man chaining women up and spanking them in his mansion, women view as erotic and romantic.

Clone the same person, but now works at a gas station, chaining women up and spanking them in his double wide, women view and creepy and dirty.

I have no dog in this fight, but it’s quite funny, almost makes me want to go take a few anthropology classes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
No one actually thinks it’s romantic in either case in real life.
Not sure if PF is only disputing the romantic aspect or disputing both aspects.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 15:26   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Not sure if PF is only disputing the romantic aspect or disputing both aspects.
All aspects, fact is if they went with the guy being poor that movie would NOT have had all the women into it that it did.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 15:29   #80

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
Why wouldn't he?
Because, as I pointed out, with his MMSI, it's fairly easy to get the registration number. The marine mortgage argument is 100% bull-plop - registries are open by necessity.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 15:34   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I stand corrected. I thought federal registration was a universal practice - but apparently it's not. However, the US is far from unique in having it.
The requirement for registration is usually predicated on tonnage or length. In Sweden all vessels over 24 m must be registered in the Register of Ships. Vessels between 15 and 24 m must be registered in the Register of Boats; shorter vessels may be so registered but don't need to.
Old 11-10-2020, 15:45   #82

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

My MMSI can be searched on the fcc (us) web site and that ties to the uscg documentation number, my full name, my home address and a lot more.
You could ( with public web searchable records) find the bank that holds my house mortgage, maybe my relatives names, and their Facebook and twitter accounts.

And maybe for a few dollars do an empty criminal record check. And go to the court system and look for me if I am there.

If you are reasonably determined you cans find a lot these days if you have a starting point.

If a skipper does not want to give out identifying information (if it’s a nationally documented vessel the boat name can be enough) stay away. With no shame or guilt.

I understand a strong desire for privacy. I have that too.

But I also accept the need for a stranger to do a sanity check before trusting me with their safety.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 16:25   #83

This boat doesn't have AIS
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 16:30   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
This boat doesn't have AIS
All the more reason to have the vessel's registration number.

Regardless of what some have posted, a name and home port does not uniquely identify the vessel!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-10-2020, 16:36   #85

Quote:
Thinking more about it, the owner is 100% in the right, the information you asked for was suspicious.

Now I don’t think it was your intent, but you have ZERO need to know the registration number, I’d wager if you asked for the MMSI number so your family could track you, you would have had a different reaction.

Your lack of knowledge and terminology made someone suspicious, which you found suspicious.
This boat does not have AIS. I can touch the radar standing on the deck as well. Not sure if that matters???
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 16:42   #86

Quote:
All aspects, fact is if they went with the guy being poor that movie would NOT have had all the women into it that it did.
You missed the point .

You suggested in some circumstances some may have found 50 shades to be erotic and romantic .
PF states No one actually thinks it’s romantic in either case in real life.
PF doesn't dispute the word erotic so it remains unclear if PF agrees or disagrees with this aspect of your claim.
Old 11-10-2020, 17:27   #87

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
This boat does not have AIS. I can touch the radar standing on the deck as well. Not sure if that matters???
Perhaps beyond the scope of this discussion, but in this day and age, I'd not much want to go offshore without AIS in the first place, and would have doubts about an owner who has not bothered to fit his boat with this very useful safety device. I'm sure there will be dissenting opinions, but as an experienced offshore cruiser, that's my take on it.

Jim
Old 11-10-2020, 17:38   #88

What about a DSC radio?
Old 11-10-2020, 17:45   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Perhaps beyond the scope of this discussion, but in this day and age, I'd not much want to go offshore without AIS in the first place, and would have doubts about an owner who has not bothered to fit his boat with this very useful safety device. I'm sure there will be dissenting opinions, but as an experienced offshore cruiser, that's my take on it.

Jim
I agree 100%.

Likewise, the low mounted radar would be a concern. Maybe not a showstopper but an indicator to look more carefully.
Old 11-10-2020, 17:54   #90

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

What kind of AIS do you have Jim?

What would a low mounted radar mean other then shorter watch times Wot?
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crewing, ketch