Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-05-2019, 16:45   #226

Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
14th floor.... so far so good... 12th floor... so far so good....
Its never bad to ask the questions... how truthful the answers may be is another matter... especially with deliveries.
Every owner I've dealt with is sure their boats well set up for the trip... some are.. some are not... never know till I step on board and once I've done that I figure out how to cope with what I've got..
Mainly seem to get the jobs YM's don't want or price themselves out..
EG... A Catalac to Turkey had YM's demanding life raft, EPIRB, new sails and rigging, wheel pilot and a full survey... nearly £10K.
when he finally got down to the bottom of the barrel..
I asked for a decent dinghy and a tillerpilot... came to just under £500
Shoot... it was only coastal and island hopping all the way...
Boatman, I find your answers to be knowledgeable, accurate, and having experience - what would you charge to participate in bringing a Flying Dutchman 50' from Subic Bay, Philippines to Newport, Oregon? The owner would be aboard.
AD INEXPLORATA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 17:16   #227
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD INEXPLORATA View Post
Boatman, I find your answers to be knowledgeable, accurate, and having experience - what would you charge to participate in bringing a Flying Dutchman 50' from Subic Bay, Philippines to Newport, Oregon? The owner would be aboard.
Hi, thanks for considering me..
I am however based in Portugal and operate mainly in the Med and do Trans Atlantics from the Caribe and US and the odd US to Oz if asked to.
My travel costs would not be inexpensive and when added to my fee would make an American skipper experienced in the N Pacific a more viable option..
My thanks again and best wishes..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 17:33   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hi, thanks for considering me..
I am however based in Portugal and operate mainly in the Med and do Trans Atlantics from the Caribe and US and the odd US to Oz if asked to.
My travel costs would not be inexpensive and when added to my fee would make an American skipper experienced in the N Pacific a more viable option..
My thanks again and best wishes..
Thank you for your polite and sensitive reply. In truth, I am not opposed to slowly single hand my beloved PERSEVERANCE-would not be the first time-smiles.
AD INEXPLORATA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 09:20   #229
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD INEXPLORATA View Post
Thank you for your polite and sensitive reply. In truth, I am not opposed to slowly single hand my beloved PERSEVERANCE-would not be the first time-smiles.
Thats the best way.. enjoy the countries as you go rather than hammering along to a schedule..
Many's the time I wish I could stay longer but time does not permit it.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 11:07   #230

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2 O.V. Cat - Rental

omg Hilarious, great post! Thanks!
Lilly Fluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 20:34   #231

Totally new to this type of adventure. Had our pontoon on the intercoastal. Would love to crew with my spouse on a short trip. I've never even slept on a boat. We have owned a business the past 15 years. We were always working. We've sold that and sailing or boat crewing sounds like something we'd would like to try. Found this site. PS. I don't like to be cold!!! We can leave from MI or FL. Depending on the season.
Danczers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 07:08   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
One of the tests that never failed me in business was to go to dinner and watch how they treated the waitress.
Great, nice method.
Pint76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 07:57   #233

Boat: CT47 Ketch

You guys got me "Laughing Out Loud". The entry that starts out "totally new" is just a gag, right? Having gathered several crews, I have seen several resumes that were big on "want to try this", and somewhat short on actual experience.

That said, don't immediately discard "similar to" sailing experiences. One of the best couples I ever had, were running a seasonal food truck. They were capable of cooking good food on propane, packing up, moving along, and doing it again and again. Health food nuts, that was great. Guy was a precision carpenter, day job.

Girl was a tall redhead, spoke Spanish, which did not hurt at all working our way around the Caribbean.

I count camping experience a plus. My wife and I own a 22 foot camper, close comparison to the room inside a 50 foot sailboat. Except you do not generally get all wet and cold inside the truck and/or the camper!

This is an interesting and long running thread, because it deals with predicting human character, which is quite difficult.
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 03:18   #234
jrp

It would be very nice if somehow one could peruse the wanted ads and easily see which boats are still looking for crew. You see posts, replies, but rarely can you easily determine which trips are active/planning/still need crew
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 03:54   #235

Boat: Catalina, 380, 38 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Having been both skipper and crew over the years

for crew, The general state of the boat is a key indicator.

for skipper, a run through sailing experience and if possible a test sail tends to sort wheat from chafe

I dont get too het up on booze issues and the like.

A crew dinner/night out is a good ice breaker and a good indicator, for both sides ( I like quiet drunks!)

Most of the time personality traits arnt an issue, unless they become very quirky ( and these will never be self evident at the start any way )

I dont think theres much science to it.

dave
K.I.S.S. Excellent Method and Great Advice. Works Everytime.
Sailstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 17:57   #236

Boat: Leopard 44 Owners Version (planned)

Well, you are interesting and I am interested. Sailing will be fun.
billgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 18:02   #237

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

I don’t have a ton of interview experience boating wise, but aviation wise just asking someone to walk me through the flight and their plans for the journey/nav normally paints a good picture.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 23:37   #238

Boat: 83 Tanzer 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi Boatman! In addition, anyone applying for ANY USCG license MUST have a TWIC ID card; including the "6-pack captain license".

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
6 pack not required for tankerman license. Also any truckers hauling containers to or from ports must have TWIC. maybe all drivers now. Stopped driving trucks in 2001
Our Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 23:40   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi Boatman! In addition, anyone applying for ANY USCG license MUST have a TWIC ID card; including the "6-pack captain license".

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
No 6 Pack for Tankerman barge d/l. TWIC also required for truck drivers (as of 2001 when I stopped driving)
Old 15-01-2020, 23:42   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
I don’t have a ton of interview experience boating wise, but aviation wise just asking someone to walk me through the flight and their plans for the journey/nav normally paints a good picture.
Yea if you ask them to describe a 6 pack and it starts with some kind of beer.......

Tags
crew, paracelle