Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-03-2021, 23:20   #256

Volunteer crew/maintenance in return for sailing experience -- Bundaberg

Would there be such a thing as volunteering as day crew for short trips to gain experience about sailing? Or alternatively offering muscle to sand or paint and other maintenance in return for getting out on the water and learning? We are based in Bundaberg, Qld, Australia and this is part of a 5 year plan leading to what we hope might be boat living in our retirement. Fit and healthy with a sense of humour.
DonnaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 05:36   #257

Boat: CT47 Ketch
Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

Go to a boatyard and volunteer CAUTIOUSLY. I once owned the Alden schooner Dirigo II. I got enough offers for volunteer work, that I became picky. I actually had to fire volunteers as well!
The owner will want to know your motive and experience, and if he can count on you for a week or more.
You might consider outright fabrication of the truth to gain experience. For example, if some one is redoing a deck, walk up and tell him that you are looking at buying a boat, and several of them need the deck redone. Ask if you can help, so many hours a day, for so many days, to get a handle on what would be involved. Do not offer just one days help, that would actually slow any owner down.
You may find that the owner will offer you sailing days as a reward, if you are actually doing him some good.
Fit and healthy very good, sense of humor necessary, now add the courage to talk to strangers,...
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 06:10   #258

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaM View Post
Would there be such a thing as volunteering as day crew for short trips to gain experience about sailing? Or alternatively offering muscle to sand or paint and other maintenance in return for getting out on the water and learning? We are based in Bundaberg, Qld, Australia and this is part of a 5 year plan leading to what we hope might be boat living in our retirement. Fit and healthy with a sense of humour.

Is there Meetup in OZ? People post crew wanted or crew needed on the sailing Meetups in the US all the time. I have done both and it was always fine for a day sail. It's free to join btw but costs if you want to start your own group.
Old 21-03-2021, 12:01   #259

Thanks DBrayer, valuable advice and you're right... time to start walking the docks and talking to people. DM
Old 21-03-2021, 12:01   #260

Thanks Sandcrab, I'll investigate this option. DM
Old 03-04-2021, 10:32   #261

Too bad this thread didn't exist in 2002, when I crewed for a fellow I contacted through a crew bank, and again when I crewed in 2004 for a friend of a friend. Boy, were those trips an eye-opener. The first one made a comment to me that suggested he was mentally unstable, the second had "a bit of a temper" according to my friend.

Both exhibited dubious seamanship.

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 07:10   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
One of the tests that never failed me in business was to go to dinner and watch how they treated the waitress.
Exactly right. And this behavior test works on much more than just evaluating the inner attitude of a skipper.
YoloSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 07:26   #263
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSteve View Post
Exactly right. And this behavior test works on much more than just evaluating the inner attitude of a skipper.
So... would gentle flirting be a positive or negative in this Brave New World..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 03:37   #264

I think friendliness, dignity and respect are always in fashion.
YoloSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 09:15   #265

Good morning I currently in St Martin looking for a crew position in the near future to any US or CDN port on the east coast.
I am a fit 66 year old male Mechnical Enginner with 50 years of sailing experience in the Great Lakes, St Lawrence River, Gulf of St Lawrence, US east coast and Carribien.
Ready to depart. References available.
David Marshall
Dmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 08:53   #266

This is a great thread. I am planning a W-E transatlantic crossing, on a Bristol 38.8, from Cape Cod to Portugal via the Azores and possibly Bermuda a year from now, late May-mid-June 2022. I don't want to singlehand, as I reckon that is irresponsible, but I don't want more than 1 or 2 (voluntary) crew. What do people think is the best way to find and screen potential crewmembers?
odyssey35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 09:37   #267

Myself and two other crew members just walked away from our boat mid way down the Atlantic Seaboard. Never thought I would do that (nor did the other crew) but we had a complete Jerk of a Captain whose boat was a poster child for neglected maintenance.

Many red flags were there before I signed on but I ignored them all because I really wanted the trip.

Can't stress enough the importance of checking out the Captain and the boat ahead of time.
Baltic2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 12:45   #268

I am looking for a crew to move 46ft motorsailor from FT.Pierce, FL to MD very beggining of January 2022. V berth with separate head for a couple or 2 people.
nhsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 00:19   #269

Mahalo (thanks) for all that chiming in, people! My 1st crew position was at age 29 in 1987. I answered a Sydney CYC ad that read, "all female crew required; no experience necessary". With no experience, I used mostly intuition and the fact that I had been dreaming of sailing since I was 15. The 1st mate was a Kiwi with a solid head on her shoulders who had just made the journey on the 50', even-masted schooner, from Perth with the captain, so that was a bonus. Sat Nav's were new, so Bob Faircloth used a sextant and freely taught whoever was interested. I've noticed on subsequent passages that what is promised is not always the result anticipated. The best policy is positivity and a willingness to assist and adapt, as well as strong prayers, stomach, and sense of humor. While I don't mind a good playlist, I, too, prefer quiet while sailing out on the blue water.
Oceanrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 02:05   #270

Post Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
If you were looking to crew on a sailboat for open ocean passages, what would be on your safety checklist as you decide whether a particular yacht was a safe bet? What questions would you ask the skipper? Also interested in the flip, what would you look for or ask of your crew?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAFETY BRIEF CHECKLIST

• CHECK ; food, water, fuel, passage plan, boat’s documents, weather forecast.

• Use of a life jackets, harness and jackstays, locations and check conditions.

• When and how to send a VHF/DSC distress alert and Mayday.

• GPS ; how to read off the position and use of MOB P/B.

• Location and use of flares and EPIRB.

• When and how to launch the life raft.

• How to start/stop the engine.

• MOB equipment and recovery procedure.

• Lifebuoy/dan buoy locations and check conditions.

• Onboard hazards ; Boom, winches, cleats, ropes etc.

• Grab bag ; where it is and also other items such as water, food etc.

• Gas safety and use of cooker.

• Bilge pump ; where and how to use it.

• Location of first aid kit and manual.

• Location and use of fire extinguishers and fire blanket. Check conditions and press. guages. How to gain Access to the engine space if there is no automatic system.

• Emergency exits.

• Lookout ; Tell me what you see and hear during the passage; I may not have seen or heard it.

• Watch rota ; When to call the skipper.

• Boat documents and useful files, manuals etc.

• Information about crew ; Names, madical or physical problems, can they swim?

• Passage plan ; Where we are going and contingency plans. Approx. times and distances. sea and weather conditions on weather forecast.

• Thank you for your attention and enjoy it.
Yuksel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, paracelle