Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 12:16   #241

Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

In cold water 1 Gumby Suit, 1 Spinlock Deck Vest with lifeline, 1 EPIRB, 1 Garmin InReach Satphone (If the EPIRB doesn't work you can always call home from the water), 1 Package of Pencil Flares and smoke, Signal Mirror, Whistle, Strobe, 1 waterproof VHF-FM. If that wont get you home nothing will. Remember the longest range Helo is 300 miles out on fumes and there aren't many of them around.
jcoghill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 12:28   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
If you were looking to crew on a sailboat for open ocean passages, what would be on your safety checklist as you decide whether a particular yacht was a safe bet? What questions would you ask the skipper? Also interested in the flip, what would you look for or ask of your crew?
No dope head shipmates

No alternative lifestyle shipmates

Convince yourself the the owner knows what he is doing . Ask to see his logbook

The yacht should be in first class condition,

You should arrive a minimum of one week ahead of departure so that you and your shipmates can go over the yacht and inspect all storage yacht systems , operators manuals ,....,,

If you are sailing west across the Atlantic choose a boat with superior downwind performance

The boat should have a leeward berth for all offwatch crew ...avoid overcrowded boats

On arrival at your final destination your job is to clean up the yacht then get the hell off.,. The yacht must pay for your onward transportation, repatriation
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 14:46   #243
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Voluntary Crew Pensacola to BVI March

Freedom 40 being sailed to Tortola from Pensacola, Florida in March 2020.
Very experienced Skipper is looking for 2 shipmates for the ride & learning experience. Your expenses, food, etc. including the flight back to Florida will be included.

Plan is to leave Pensacola, sail non-stop to Marathon, fuel up and east through the Bahama Channel. Maybe stop in Puerto Rico for fuel & food, then on to the BVI.

This is an opportunity to gain some sailing experience with a experienced Skipper on a well found boat.

Reply or PM for address, details & _____?
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 06:36   #244
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Still need one crew member. Plan on leaving March 5 or 6 depending on WX.
PM, reply are call 850 five seven2 twelve twenty five.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 08:26   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
Also, is it offensive to ask for sailing log and about througholes and haulouts? In my case, I have never kept a log book, but I don't have that many miles to log, either. If someone asked about that it would not bother me just to tell the truth. If I were going to crew for someone else, should I ask? If they don't have a log book, what does that mean? If they have no maintenance log, what does that mean? I have never been great at keeping receipts and the like.
No log

This means you are not keeping a bilge water watch

This means that crew can not determine a typical
Days run mileage

This means that the crew can’t determine if your are conservative and tuck the reef in before the gale

This means that crew can’t determine reliability Whether you can get across the ocean without breakdown

Don’t underestimate the value of the ships log
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:36   #246

Hi,
For me I be more caution before I jump in a yacht for long passage in these cases :
1. Old yacht for delivery.
2. charter yacht for long passage.
3. Female skipper for long passage, with my full respect and love for the women's.
Qatar Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 12:30   #247

Way to go
joopvenema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 16:37   #248

We women skippers appreciate the full love and respect - believe me, it's rare.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 02:01   #249

Boat: Corbin 39' Pilot House Cutter

Frankly when looking for crew I have found very few honest applicants. They either overstate their experience or have habits that are not compatible with Law Enforcement Agencies. I won't risk my boat for their habits.

Inversely if I ask someone to join me they are welcome to ask me about my experience. I would automatically provide them with the "Notebook" that outlines how the boat is run, watches, sanitation, cooking etc. The book also contains man overboard, sinking, lift raft deployment and donning survival suits and every contingency I can think of that happens on cruises.
I would pay for them to take a first aid refresher course out of pocket.
They would be provided with a detailed list of equipment available including the 2 epirbs and instructed on all communications systems.
Essentially they are gambling I am a skipper of worth who knows that the safety of the crew is paramount. My investment into my boat provides the physical net they need to sign on and have a great time knowing that the Captain of the boat has their back. They are welcome to talk to the Marina people or the yard people or anyone. You have to have trust. Both ways.
Sailorman4009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 19:17   #250

I saw a video of a guys trip to Pitcairn that sounded a lot like this. Notes taken: Check out the capt- I've been doing media searches and boat searches. You never know what you are getting into for sure, but we are all in this for the adventure right?
visionsinsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 22:12   #251

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A thread hijack occurred in this thread. The hijacking post and all following it have been deleted.
Old 17-09-2020, 00:55   #252

Boat: 54×14 Continental houseboat

The first thing I would do as I was approaching the vessel was it's outward appearance I would be judging that, then as I got on I would be looking at the equipment in the machinery, looking for any fraye lines, any leaking hoses hydraulic, and water, I would be looking for safety equipment, the general outward appearance on Deck, the clean house is a safe house, my head would be on a swivel like a turkey, and as for the crew I'll be looking for anyone that look like a crackhead, they're the first to get you hurt, I don't have a lot of experience but I do have a lot of experience around equipment motors electric diesel you name it I most likely have fixed it, what I mean is that I don't have that many miles on the water but I have many hours around equipment cranes dozers etc I work heavy equipment most of my life, safety there is not much different and safety any place else I've been a mile underground and tunneled out underneath lake Michigan for a mile chasing a mole, there's not much more of a dangerous job than that, I am looking to expand my knowledge, and it's like I've never been on water before I've had a 15x54 foot houseboat with two 160 horse Mercury inboard outboards I've learned how to maneuver that quite well, and last but not least I would be looking at the safety equipment on board or just in case we were no longer on board life rafts, strobe lights VHF handheld radios, before I went anywhere I'd have to have myself satisfied in my mind before I crossed any ocean.
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 16:30   #253

The first time I crewed I was In my early 20's It was on a sea scallop boat
95'. in the north Atlantic. The only question I asked was can I have a Job.

She was a fine boat with one gumby for the captain.
We were fine and it was a great trip.

First and last time. now I am getting ready for a crossing next month in my
30' sea ray. I am 65 and I guess a little nuts
Hog Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 08:59   #254

Boat: Hanse 588

Very interesting comments in this thread. But pardon me if I seem a bit naive here with regard to hiring or even having crew on board. Although I'm new to the Sailing Community, my travels in aviation have taken me over to 50 countries. Before I do business with anyone in any country, we have employment contracts so the question of employment law and vetting a candidate have come up in some of the threads. Regarding background checks, it's only $25 to do a background search in the United States. I imagine it's no more than a hundred euros to check a candidates background with Interpol or in that candidate's country, once given the passport. I have always had any employees or independent contractors sign employment contracts stating their credentials and whether they have a criminal history. We go back 10 years for felonies and 5 years for misdemeanors. Does anyone use a written contract , whether the crew is hiring or paying their way? I expect that for passengers, there must be a sailing convention similar to the Warsaw convention that airliners use. That would outline the risks and penalties or compensation in the event of a worst-case scenario. Likewise as an owner, my insurance company would be the one vetting the captain. Seeing the Skipper's credentials and presenting to the insurance company for a thumbs-up or thumbs-down is an easy task, it would seem. So the question comes up if the skipper should be bonded and insured?
VIPJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 23:19   #255

Would there be such a thing as volunteering as day crew for short trips to gain experience about sailing? Or alternatively offering muscle to sand or paint and other maintenance in return for getting out on the water and learning? We are based in Bundaberg, Qld, Australia and this is part of a 5 year plan leading to what we hope might be boat living in our retirement. Fit and healthy with a sense of humour.
DonnaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, paracelle