Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2006, 10:36   #1

Boat: Alberg 30 #554 Aurora
Storing Propane for BBQ

We have recently purchased a Magma Grill and have not yet worked out how we will store the propane. I prefer to not get carried away building a locker vented to the outside. I am thinking that either a piece of PVC pipe with caps or a canvas bag either one mounted on the pushpit would be the easiest most sensible answer.

Any one have other suggestions or pictures of possible solutions?

Pete
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2006, 20:42   #2
Kai Nui

FWIW, if you can avoid it do not store those small bottles on board beyond what you need for a trip. They rust out really fast, and every time I hve left one on board for more than about a month it has been empty when I checked it. Kinda scary.
Old 20-06-2006, 02:08   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
My BBQ came with one of those silly containers on it . I cut it off and connect via a pressure regulator directly to one of my normal gas cylinders. Dont bother with a high/low switch as the BBQ has hot and cooler areas anyway.
Old 20-06-2006, 06:25   #4

Boat: Pearson 323
A good place to store them is a deck anchor locker WITH A DRAIN THAT EMPITES OVERBOARD. Certainly potential rusting will become more of an issue in this damp environment, but they should not be on board for all that long a period of time. If they do leak, it should be almost impossible for the fumes to find their way in the bilge.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2006, 08:08   #5

zippered bag

I store my 1lb bottles in a zippered, sunbrella bag hung on the stern pushpit.

Definetely do not put them in locker open to the rest of the vessel.
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2006, 15:17   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"They rust out really fast," A good way to prevent rust on tools or anything else stored in a confined place is to place mothballs or a urinal/closet cake in the container with them. The new stuff (parabenza-whatever, not camphor) sublimates and forms a very thin waxy coating that prevents surfaces from rusting. I say "confined place" because if you just throw a box of mothballs below...they'll chase you away and leave you dizzy in a high enough concentration. I keep a handful in the tool box and the tools don't rust.

There are "vapor deposition" tabs made by 3M and some other companies that don't hav any smell, look like wax postage stamps, and cost a bit more, sold by gunsmiths and over specialty stores. Fancier, but more expensive, if you can't stand the smell.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 10:51   #7

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu, 53 feet - DoodleBug
Smile

We switched from the silly cartridges that rust, to a 2 lb. Aluminum tank that could also be used in an emergency to fuel the kitchen stove. We did NOT want to store the BBQ tank in a locker for obvious reasons. We instead store it on deck; piece of plastic tile under it to prevent it scratching the deck and we lash it to a stanchion. To make it look pretty, we found that a regular West Marine fender cover fits it nicely and has the added advantage of being cheap!
Ed Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 11:40   #8

Boat: Alberg 30 #554 Aurora
2 lb. Aluminum tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Steele
We switched from the silly cartridges that rust, to a 2 lb. Aluminum tank that could also be used in an emergency to fuel the kitchen stove.
I have not seen 2 lb aluminum propane tanks. Is there such an animal or did you mean 20 lb?
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 12:09   #9

Fat fingers

Sorry! Fat finger error!
I meant a 6 pound tank. West Marine model 196084 - 6 5/16" by 22 1/2". WM sells them at $129.99 (2006 catalog). I found the same tank at the propane refill place at considerably less.
Ed
Old 21-06-2006, 16:16   #10

Ooops

..….my last word on storing propane tanks. For anyone tempted to store a refillable tank in an unvented locker. I had my BBQ tank refilled in American Samoa and they overfilled it. About three days later it got really hot and I heard a strange noise. I then watched as the over-pressure valve on the tank let go and vented the surplus propane into the open air (the tank was lashed to a stanchion on deck). I had been tempted to make sure it the valve was securely screwed shut and stuff it into a locker while on passage. I am totally reformed. My BBQ tank stays on deck.
Old 21-06-2006, 21:20   #11
Kai Nui

One important point Ed made, the same tanks that WM charges $300+ for are available at most propane suppliers for about half that. My 2 20# tanks cost $150 each at the local propane vendor.

Tags
barbecue