Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-11-2017, 15:54   #1

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 50
South Pacific Cyclone season

I'm really keen to hear from anyone that has spent the south pacific cyclone season north of cyclone prone islands such as Fiji. Is it possible to spend 4 months in say Gilbert islands, Phoenix Islands, Kiribati, Marshall Islands etc. Are these islands safe places to be? Can you easliy move from island to island during this time without having to motor much?

Are there good holding anchorages, protected from ocean swells etc? Can I expect strong winds still?
Is water and diesel available?

Is it relatively safe to swim - ie not shark infested!
Are they nice places to be on a boat anchored?
I hear its hot & Wet - is it bearable, we don't have air conditioner or watermaker.
There will just be the 2 of us. We have tanks with 1000 litres water & 400 litres of diesel.
Are cruising yachts welcome.

What are your favourite anchorages

What is it like to sail back south to vanuatu, etc. after the cyclone season has finished. What can I expect in the way of wind & sea heights.

I'm hoping that I can extend my sailing in the pacific by going north before I eventually return to New Zealand

Thanks
Caroline Joan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
south pacific