Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2018, 00:55   #16

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: South Pacific Cyclone season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Joan View Post
Thanks for info, really helpful.
Did you use the morrings at Majuro, or just anchor. Really just wondering how effective they are in westerly winds if a decent swell builds up?
I'm just trying to decide how far west I should go during cyclone/typhoon season. Marshall certainly look nice and will definitely go that way, just a matter of timing La nina or El Nino year etc. PS - Nice Kite boarding photos
Sorry, missed this at the time. Yes, we used the moorings as it is quite deep off Majuro. People have endured westerlies there but I would not want to. When we were there - Jan to April - it was all trade winds.

Cheers,

Max
SV Fluenta
Fluenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 03:05   #17

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

FWIW Arno is still loaded with sharks. Inside the lagoon and outside and everywhere. Fishing is virtually impossible. I suspect it’s what natural balance is like.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 16:02   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
FWIW Arno is still loaded with sharks. Inside the lagoon and outside and everywhere. Fishing is virtually impossible. I suspect it’s what natural balance is like.
That's very good to hear.....in the 80‘s and 90's we focussed more on FSM and I was so disappointed with the destruction of reefs in Chuuk from blasting with WW2 ordinance.

What are the cruising regulations for a foreign yacht visiting the Marshalls these days? Do you need permits? How long can you stay in the territory.
I understand that visiting the atols in FSM have become really commercial and restricted
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 16:13   #19

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluenta View Post
Sorry, missed this at the time. Yes, we used the moorings as it is quite deep off Majuro. People have endured westerlies there but I would not want to. When we were there - Jan to April - it was all trade winds.

Cheers,

Max
SV Fluenta
If anyone is headed that way, there is a sandbar that you can anchor on way down past the commercial dock. Taking the dinghy directly ashore, which is only about 50 yards, might not be a good idea. It will probably be stolen. For some strange reason there are no thefts from the official dinghy dock beside the moorings.

Last time I was there moorings only cost $3/day. Mine was in 60 ft of water.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 22:38   #20

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 50

Thanks for Info.
Only ever seen 1 shark in my life so thought of hundreds reminds me too much of Jaws. I think when I'm in the lagoons once I will bite the bullet I'll dive in. To my knowledge most sharks are harmless, but my imagination is endless!
Caroline Joan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
south pacific