Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2017, 10:30   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24
Shipping Sockdolager a Dana 24

Greetings peoples! Been awhile since I've posted.
Last year(Sept) we sold our Cape Dory 31 "Renata" and the next day acquired a Dana 24 "Sockdolager", a very sweet, capable, totally fitted out and proven sailboat. It was our intention to play around the San Juan Islands this summer but plans have changed. We are now selling our house and most of our possessions and moving to Buderim, Queensland, Australia.
Now our focus is to find a shipper/carrier to take the Dana from Seattle,Wa area to Brisbane, Australia. Hence this post, to see if any of the knowledgeable people out there can recommend a shipping company and have experience with doing this?
Some may say if so capable why not sail it? Well the boat's capable but the owners not so much. Love to, but sailing a 24ft. boat across the Pacific at this stage would be somewhat foolish.
Regards all!
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 10:39   #2

Re: Shipping Sockdolager a Dana 24

Seems that boat may fit in a container...? If so, that may be your best option. Possibly best out of Vancouver BC..? My friends shipped a big boat back to Seattle and they wished it had fit into a container as it would have been much cheaper. Of course you would need a cradle built for it to sit on. Is your mast less than 40 feet?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 11:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Seems that boat may fit in a container...? If so, that may be your best option. Possibly best out of Vancouver BC..? My friends shipped a big boat back to Seattle and they wished it had fit into a container as it would have been much cheaper. Of course you would need a cradle built for it to sit on. Is your mast less than 40 feet?

Mast is 37 ft.
Old 19-04-2017, 11:49   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

think its about 8" to wide for a container, but might go on a flat bed.

Xt, I think you need a shipping company or a local agent. Her is one for starters;

Yacht Exports & Yacht Shipping | Do you need global yacht transportation? | Global Boat Transport
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 08:33   #5

Boat: Casacde 36

so, have it cut, and re-joined.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 08:40   #6

Some will ship it on a cradle. You probably will have to have a freight broker unless you are good at digging... My friends walked around shipping/freight yards to the offices asking. They finally found a freighter to bring their boat back to the US. They had a steel cradle made. The Freighter picked the boat up right out of the water. Your mast is under the container standard length so that's a plus finding a freighter.... Your mast and boat may fall within their 40 x 8 x ? cube. they don't like to upset their loading schemes I guess.

Have you considered the import duty though? I've heard it's high to Australia. Also they have specific marine safety requirements for boats don't they?

Old 20-04-2017, 09:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Some will ship it on a cradle. You probably will have to have a freight broker unless you are good at digging... My friends walked around shipping/freight yards to the offices asking. They finally found a freighter to bring their boat back to the US. They had a steel cradle made. The Freighter picked the boat up right out of the water. Your mast is under the container standard length so that's a plus finding a freighter.... Your mast and boat may fall within their 40 x 8 x ? cube. they don't like to upset their loading schemes I guess.

Have you considered the import duty though? I've heard it's high to Australia. Also they have specific marine safety requirements for boats don't they?
The boat is too wide to fit in a 40ft.
Old 20-04-2017, 09:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xthewater View Post
The boat is too wide to fit in a 40ft.
I saw that comment earlier, I'm implying that it will fit the "normal" deck space though.

Old 20-04-2017, 09:24   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

There is another way and his name is Phil or Boatman61 on here. Bet the price of him delivering by sea is less than a shipping quote.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 09:34   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Insure it and hire an experienced captain w/crew. Husband wife team would be idea. Probably will be a lot cheaper than transporting plus fewer customs hassles on arrival but certainly will cost more then a few thousand.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 09:37   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I've shipped a 40 ft boat on a 'flat rack'. The flat rack is essentially the bottom of a container, and can be handled by a container crane. They allowed some overhang on the sides and ends, and put the boat on the top of a container stack.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 10:44   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

You need to contact these folks, they shipped their dana 24 to San Fran from OZ. I am sure they would tell you all about it.
Karen and Jim's Excellent Adventure
Oh wait....these guys are the former owners of your boat! Why don't you ask them?
Old 20-04-2017, 11:19   #13

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

Can you remove the keel? If so you can ship in a 40' closed container. You may need a hi-cube.

Mini Transats are shipped on a canting cradle, keel on a pallet, two in a 45' hi cube container.
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 11:21   #14

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I've shipped a 40 ft boat on a 'flat rack'. The flat rack is essentially the bottom of a container, and can be handled by a container crane. They allowed some overhang on the sides and ends, and put the boat on the top of a container stack.
The advice of an agent (or more than one?) is probably the best start. It seems there are only three choices, the other two of which are doubtful. Those two are a delivery captain (boat gets beat up unavoidably and you do not get the pleasure of the trip) and selling (you do not keep the boat you want).
Old 20-04-2017, 11:24   #15

Boat: PDQ 36

I have no experience with this, but I have seen advertisements for Seven Seas Yacht Transport.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shipping