Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2011, 10:53   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Entering Mexico

th eport captains actually search for the boats that do not checkin and out. i watched this in ensenada.
the port captain is the individual who told me the exit zarpe is needed for each port checkin. he also advised mne to keep extra copies of a blank form on board for checking into domestic ports after becoming originally checked in. is easy. ther eare no fees other than the original entry fee for individual visa.
the temp import permit is able to be obtained up to 6 months after entry at first port.
fm3 is also within 6 months of original visa.
the only times the navy of mexico stopped and searched a boat i was with was to check for guns, drugs and fishing gear.
yes they do search for that as poaching here is serious.
my info is courtesy of port captain of ensenada and cedros island village.
be safe. enjoy mexico---is lovely here.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 10:55   #47

From "Mexican Sportfishing Regulations" on the Conapesca website.

Under Violations:

"Fish caught under a sportfishing license may not be filleted aboard the vessel from which it was caught."

So you can't (legally) eat the fish that you caught while underway or at anchor?

Really???
KnuckleDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 11:11   #48

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
From "Mexican Sportfishing Regulations" on the Conapesca website.

Under Violations:

"Fish caught under a sportfishing license may not be filleted aboard the vessel from which it was caught."

So you can't (legally) eat the fish that you caught while underway or at anchor?

Really???
Naw, you just tell them you caught it on a different boat... ;-)

Their struggle is with sportfishing boats that will catch 20 or 30 predator fish (tuna, dorado, wahoo) per person per day. If you have a license and appear to be trying to adhere to the regulations, you will be alright - if someone stops to ask...
If this still bothers you, keep a little bit of fish with the skin on so it can be identified - you will be following the spirit of the law.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 11:36   #49

our lot of catching only one fish for immediate consumption is somewhat different from sportsfishers who catch many many fish....when checking fishies for size and type, sportsfishers need whole fishies. makes count accurate. they fussy about that here.
one per day is no big deal . at least that is what they told me when i asked in office....
Old 19-10-2011, 11:16   #50

Boat: Currently boatless

We just cleared into Ensenada two days ago.

We were asked to show, report and/or give copies of:
Our boat registration
Our passports
Our crew list in Spanish
Our Mexican liability insurance

To check out (we checked in and out at the same time) we also needed a copy of a receipt from the marina saying that we were paid up/not owing money.

We got the TIP as well so we also reported the serial number of our main and outboard engines.

We have our fishing licences purchased online but were not asked to show them there and could have bought them at the same office.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 08:50   #51

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post

Our boat registration
Our passports
Our crew list in Spanish
Our Mexican liability insurance

To check out (we checked in and out at the same time) we also needed a copy of a receipt from the marina saying that we were paid up/not owing money.

We got the TIP as well so we also reported the serial number of our main and outboard engines.

We have our fishing licences purchased online but were not asked to show them there and could have bought them at the same office.
Where did you get the liability insurance, and what did it cost??
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 08:56   #52
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Saw this on 'Lectronic Latitude 38 the other day...

Quote:
...all that is required to clear in [to Mexico] is the original boat documentation papers, a passport from every member of the crew, and four copies of your crew list. (Download this PDF to expedite that process.) Mexican liability insurance is not asked for in order to clear in at either Cabo or San Carlos...

Many, if not most, Mexican marinas do require liability insurance, but our understanding is that if your normal U.S., Canadian, or European policy contains international liability coverage, additional Mexican coverage is not required.
Link to the article: Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
Old 20-10-2011, 09:08   #53

by the way---even if you do NOT leave the boat in mexico and you plan on remaining in mexico longer than 6 months, you still need the temporary import permit. this per port cpt here in mazatan.
Old 21-10-2011, 04:46   #54

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Where did you get the liability insurance, and what did it cost??
I think you may get it online it the US but I got mine in Ensenada, about two blocks from the Port Captain's office. It is about $200.00 per year.
As far as I understand Mexico doesn't recognize foreign insurance policies. Cruiseport Marina and Baja Naval asked for it.
Old 22-10-2011, 11:09   #55

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misiu View Post
I think you may get it online it the US but I got mine in Ensenada, about two blocks from the Port Captain's office. It is about $200.00 per year.
As far as I understand Mexico doesn't recognize foreign insurance policies. Cruiseport Marina and Baja Naval asked for it.
Just to be clear, you sailed into Ensenada & they had no problem with you not already having the insurance? That is what | was told some time ago, that I could wait until Ensenada to get it. It is available through some U.S. insurers online, but why pay an extra fee & risk having little to show if I can get it when I arrive? Unless I've misunderstood something, I can leave all this stuff until we get to Ensenada, no?
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 11:40   #56

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Just to be clear, you sailed into Ensenada & they had no problem with you not already having the insurance? That is what | was told some time ago, that I could wait until Ensenada to get it. It is available through some U.S. insurers online, but why pay an extra fee & risk having little to show if I can get it when I arrive? Unless I've misunderstood something, I can leave all this stuff until we get to Ensenada, no?
Yes, it is correct. I sailed into the Cruiseport Marina and was told to get Mexican liability insurance. Jonathan, in the office, directed me to the local insurance broker and I purchased it from them.
I think if you get it online, and shop a bit, you may get slightly better rate. I don't think it's much. Here is the example: boat-liability-insurance
I just checked copies of my liability insurance purchased in Ensenada and it was from General de Seguros, S.A.B. for $211.00
I got the minimal coverage they offered.

If you get it over there you are not insured by their lability insurance in the unlikely event of trouble in Mexican waters before you purchase it. I still had my BoatUS coverage so I didn't really care.
Old 22-10-2011, 11:50   #57

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post

...Our crew list in Spanish ...
What? One needs to translate one's name into Spanish?

Mark Pierce, aka Marco Perforar
Old 22-10-2011, 12:00   #58

211 fora year seems to be the minimum in mexico. yes, liability is necessary to check in to mexico , as i have stated, but is ok to get after you arrive, as i also stated, and there are insurance places along,malecon or a couple of blocks inland. the marinas will help in this. is not a big deal.
the forms are in spanish, but the info you place is in english.
Old 22-10-2011, 14:55   #59

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What? One needs to translate one's name into Spanish?

Mark Pierce, aka Marco Perforar
No, but head it up Lista de Tribulación.

However nearly everyone you meet will you what is the significance of your name. After 22 years here I still have no idea what the significance of mine is but I bet I have been asked at least a thousand times.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 07:29   #60

Boat: Currently boatless

Donradcliffe - We used: bajabound.com - They immediately emailed a .pdf that we could print out.
Hud3 - We were asked for a copy of our Mexico insurance in Ensenada at the clearance. May differ at other offices.
Markpierce - See: Yacht Clearance Downloads: Bilingual Clearance Forms
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico