Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 10:17   #61

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Entering Mexico

Yesterday, in Bahia Tortugas, all of the cruising boats (about 7) including ours were boarded by the Navy. They asked for our boat documents, clearance papers AND our fishing licenses. I'll put a good photo up on our blog in a few weeks.

FYI...
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44   #62

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Yesterday, in Bahia Tortugas, all of the cruising boats (about 7) including ours were boarded by the Navy. They asked for our boat documents, clearance papers AND our fishing licenses. I'll put a good photo up on our blog in a few weeks.

FYI...
Did they fine anybody?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:48   #63
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the mexican navy likes to make sure no one is poachingtheir fish and shellfish. is most important to have fishing licenses from conapesca. be safe and get it BEFORE entering mexican waters, as they WILL board ye.
their favorite punishment for not having it is imprisonment and confiscation. have never heard of any fines--just the extreme. be safe. they even imprison their own marines for this offense.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:23   #64

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Is a license required when there is no intention to fish and have no fishing equipment?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:25   #65

no intention to fish and zero fishing equipment--no license needed.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:59   #66

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
no intention to fish and zero fishing equipment--no license needed.
But don't risk it. If they find as much as a fish hook you are in big trouble. And if you fish at anchor take whatever you catch to shore to clean and fillet. In Mexico there are eyes everywhere and an element who just love to report wrong doing to get others into trouble.

I operated a dive boat here for three years and carried seven licences as some of my charters wanted to fish between dives. I was not permitted to charter for fishing just scuba or snorkeling But I did not want to risk being caught fishing without a licence. Was never questioned three years.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 13:38   #67

Boat: Currently boatless

Misiu - Not sure if anyone a) didn't have the license and b) what happened if they didn't. The two other boats I have spoken to had licenses (as do we).
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 19:39   #68

Boat: looking

We spent a few hours, today, clearing in, in Ensenada. We were given no choice regarding getting the TIP - had to - and learned that there was no place to change Canadian $, although we now have the location of a local B of NS & will check that out tomorrow. We followed the advice of getting our liability insurance through Bajabound.com . for that one! Cheap & fast! Canadian debit cards worked in some bank ATMs, but no store ATMs. Mexican Navy had no apparent issue with our fishing gear, but focus was elsewhere at time(temporary sea evac). We'll be getting our licenses tomorrow. Now, where do I find a sea lion-silencing-gun that doesn't harm them?
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 19:52   #69

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Bangkaboat, you will find a Bank of Nova Scotia in the new shopping center south of town on highway 1 on the right hand side. It is located near the highway and easily spotted. Taxi drivers know the way. They will change CAN$, US$ into pesos and also have an ATM that accepts B of NS debit cards for a fee. Most in the bank speak english and can give you advice on other Mexican banks that accept Canadian debit cards further south. Quite a few do... good luck... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 19:48   #70

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Bangkaboat, you will find a Bank of Nova Scotia in the new shopping center south of town on highway 1 on the right hand side. It is located near the highway and easily spotted. Taxi drivers know the way. They will change CAN$, US$ into pesos and also have an ATM that accepts B of NS debit cards for a fee. Most in the bank speak english and can give you advice on other Mexican banks that accept Canadian debit cards further south. Quite a few do... good luck... Capt Phil
Thanks for the info, we found another Scotiabank outlet at Ruiz & Juarez.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 20:04   #71

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Great! Have a safe and fun cruise south... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 03:26   #72

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Looks very much like my clearance from San Diego will have me arriving in Ensenada on Saturday. How will I get entry if the Port Captain and other officials don't work at weekends? Anyone had experience with this?
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 07:26   #73

how long do you plan to stay in ensenada?? if you stay until monday, i believe you can check in and out same day on monday --but ask at your marina where you stay. they will have information.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:48   #74

Boat: O'Day 25

When I checked in at Ensenada last year, it took 40 minutes on Christmas Eve for a tourist card, TIP, Fishing License, and Customs. I was shepherded by Jonathan from Cruiseport Marina along with another couple from Canada. I didn't pay a boat fee as I was under 3 tons. While liability insurance is required, I only needed to show liability insurance for the marinas (Cruiseport, Marina La Paz and La Cruz). I bought liability insurance online while I was in San Diego through ACE Seguros.
https://sb.iigins.com/mexico-wc/quote/?aff_id=IIG&lang=&agtdst=

I was boarded a few times and had a drug dog search at the dock at Tres Marias. No Mexican official ever asked for insurance papers, just boat documentation, passport, and tourist card. Was never asked to show a fishing license.

I never checked into or out of any port although you can do it on the radio with a little Spanish. Different port captains have different opinions on procedure. Every one is a fiefdom, but what Mexico City says and what the port captains say can be two different things. It was suggested by Jonathan to do it the old way just to be safe and avoid issues. I ignored the advice.

There are also API anchor fees collected inconsistently at check out depending on which port you use when exiting the country. Was 11 pesos a day or about $150 for six months less any days in a marina, on the hard or API fees collected locally (Puerto Escondido waiting room anchorage). Marinas collect the API fee in the slip fee. Keep all your receipts organized.

Anchoring at Cabo was $138 pesos per night but not collected regularly. Fonatur comes out in a launch and makes the rounds when there are a few boats. You can pay at the boat. The anchorage isn't worth the cost. Too many swells and jetskis. Next time I'll skip Cabo San Lucas.
Dos Gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 20:45   #75

According to both Victor and Bob, all that is required to clear in is the original boat documentation papers, a passport from every member of the crew, and four copies of your crew list. (Download this PDF to expedite that process.) Mexican liability insurance is not asked for in order to clear in at either Cabo or San Carlos (the home office of agents who will perform special clearances for this year's Ha-Ha fleet at Bahia Santa Maria).
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico