Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 19:23   #31

Boat: custom 42' catamaran
Re: Eastern Philippines Still Suspect ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys_Dream View Post
And now we pray that they don't take it out on all Americans to get even. $5 million USD..... WOW... Someone over there is going to live like a king the rest of their life, if the rebels don't kill them for it. With that much on his head it was just a matter of time. I guess now we wait and see what happens next.
I always find the 'revenge' concern to overstated - these people are already trying to kidnap or kill Americans (and others) whenever the opportunity presents itself. Sure, they like to whine about how they will 'take revenge' but I expect it is just talk. If there were no violent acts being perpetrated already and outside forces started something, then perhaps this might be a concern - but under current circumstances, they are already doing all they can and the ransom motive doesn't change, so I don't see how effective action in 'removing the trash' presents any increased threat that is not currently in existence. I expect that it is mostly said for propaganda value while they sort out the leadership chain and worry about where they can safely hide. But that is just me - I have no plans to sail my catamaran further south than the northern coast of Mindanao (which i can currently see from my porch on southern Negros).
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:49   #32

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

The kidnapping thing can happen anywhere. It goes on in Mexico, parts of S. Amer. and Africa. But a few years back there was a guy in Manila taking hostages for ransom. He was Filipinao but was also ex US Navy. One just has to stay alert and use common sense.
Old 12-08-2012, 15:57   #33

Boat: Com-pac 25

The Philippines is a large country when you consider the area it covers, and its ~22,000 miles of coastline, with hundreds of languages and dialects! Most parts of the Philippines are safe as long as common sense and respect for local folks are concerned. With regards to southern Philippines mainly around Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago, definitely exercise common sense and caution. There are going to still be many safe anchorages in Mindanao though. Dipolog, which is actually in Zamboanga del Norte is safe. It is Zamboanga del Sur that should be avoided Cagayan de Oro which I believe even has decent haul out facilities, harbor, etc. for large boat is also safe. Davao, and Samal are also very safe.

So, if I were to generalize based on facts, cruising through the Philippines is safe. Check this site for input, but the decision is ultimately yours. IMO it would be grossly unfair to yourself and to its good people avoiding cruising through the Philippines. Filipino hospitality in my biased opinion is unparalleled.

Someone had mentioned concerns of Cebu. I would consider Cebu much safer than most any island. Now, there are good parts of town and bad parts of town in most places across the planet.

Just make sure you do your research, get the facts, and be courteous and respectful. For example, hanging in out in some cheap dive beer joint and getting drunk in public is just seeking trouble - even if you're not a foreigner.

Recently, innocent people watching the premier of the latest Batman movie were shot - in the States! Personally, I would feel safer in the Philippines than many parts of Detroit, Houston, LA, Chicago, etc.
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 23:05   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent
CMD

Although it was a little while back, there was the case of people being kidnapped off a beach in Sabah and taken to SW Mindanao. Any of the Muslim parts of Mindanao are a problem (rebels taking hostages). Below is the current travel advice from DFAT - if you are going, take the east side! Even then, a wide berth would be prudent.

Edited - looked at a map, and you might well be fine going west of Palawan. That's actually a long way from Mindanao.

Philippines overall

[*]Exercise normal safety precautions[*] Exercise a high degree of caution[*]Reconsider your need to travel[*]Do not travel

Eastern Mindanao

[*]Exercise normal safety precautions[*]Exercise a high degree of caution[*] Reconsider your need to travel[*]Do not travel

Central and western Mindanao, including the Zamboanga Peninsula and the Sulu Archipelago

[*]Exercise normal safety precautions[*]Exercise a high degree of caution[*]Reconsider your need to travel[*] Do not travel
I am heading south from Subic bay Philippines ultimately to the Solomon Isl. Any suggestions how to get past ("Central and western Mindanao, including the Zamboanga Peninsula and the Sulu Archipelago". "Do not travel")
Just started planning this passage, so any tips at all are appreciated
danblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:38   #35

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUrchin View Post
There are going to still be many safe anchorages in Mindanao though. Dipolog, which is actually in Zamboanga del Norte is safe. It is Zamboanga del Sur that should be avoided Cagayan de Oro which I believe even has decent haul out facilities, harbor, etc. for large boat is also safe. Davao, and Samal are also very safe.
Our boat is presently in the Malacca straits on Western Malaysia. We planned to cruise Palewan this winter Via North Borneo.

Unfortunately still working and only have 3 months to enjoy the time until having to haul out and head back to the grind. Looking for a place to leave the boat for 9 months until we can return and head southeast next year. Does anyone have information on a good place to store the boat for the winter. She is a CT 56, 34 tonnes which might limit our options in this area.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
A friend and I have gone to Manila, to vist a Priest friend of ours, to fight a few chickens. now don't start in on my passtimes cus I wont answer you LOL, but we have found it to be safe enought for us ! we use common sense when we out and about , but have had nothing but enjoyable vists there ! I would not be worried about sailing there ! at least the area we have been in Bob and Connie
you cant be all bad..see ya at the big million dollar derby!!Stay away from them Kelso hatchs that are white with feathers on there legs,I have lost money on those every time..LoL..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:45   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Our boat is presently in the Malacca straits on Western Malaysia. We planned to cruise Palewan this winter Via North Borneo.

Unfortunately still working and only have 3 months to enjoy the time until having to haul out and head back to the grind. Looking for a place to leave the boat for 9 months until we can return and head southeast next year. Does anyone have information on a good place to store the boat for the winter. She is a CT 56, 34 tonnes which might limit our options in this area.
My first recommendation would be to contact Nigel Roberts in Tambobo Bay, Negros Oriental. There are plenty of yachts moored there and Nigel would be able to also recommend other options, if your boat exceeds their mooring load capacity. Nigel is an experienced sailor and boat builder. You can reach him via email. PM me for his email address.

There should also be facilities for boats your size in Subic Bay. The link for Watercraft Ventures is Subic does not appear to be working but here's the link to Noonsite which also provides an address, email and phone number for them. Facilities include a travel lift for boats up to 70 tonnes.Noonsite: Subic Bay

Additionally, there is also the Maya Maya Yacht Club in Nasugbu, Batangas Moorings in Maya Maya Yacht Club (Nasugbu, Province of Batangas) : rental mooring and boats - Portbooker.

Hope this helps. Other CF members based in the Philippines should be able to provide additional input.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:07   #38

Boat: Nordhavn 46

quote:

I don't know how to put the box around the quote, sorry.

You could cruise Palawan and then return to Malaysia & haul in Kudat, good yard & seems safe.
Steve Strand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 16:58   #39

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strand View Post
quote:

I don't know how to put the box around the quote, sorry.

You could cruise Palawan and then return to Malaysia & haul in Kudat, good yard & seems safe.
We were in Kudat 2 years ago anchored in the man made bay just north of the boat yard. Did not visit, but understood that this was a do it yourself yard with no real services?? Do you have a contact?

Only stayed 2 days on our way to Sandakan where we sat out 7 days of heavy rains falling at over 12mm/hr. Filled the water tanks fast, but after a week we felt like drowned rats. Landslides on the cliffs buried the roads in town and washed out the cemetery at the bottom of the cliff by the yacht club. Haven't found much in the way of services in all of Sabah when we were there. KK's marina is pretty good and you never have to worry about cleaning the bottom as the fish do a great job of it.

Thinking about Davoa. Anybody have any experience there. Seems to be a good jump off point for the next season only concern is getting there through the eastern muslim islands. Any suggestions?

Will definitely follow up with Zurchin for his contacts but anyone else's input is welcome.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 19:11   #40

Undercutter, to get more responses, I'd like to suggest you join the CF Social Group for sailing in the Philippines and post your request for recommendations there:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Boats & Sailing in The Philippines

Another thing you may want to include in your post some clarity what type of storage are you looking for (e.g. on the hard, a mooring, or a slip). All things considered, the most comprehensive services will be found in Subic Bay. Subic used to be a US Naval Base capable of repairing even the largest US Navy ships. Start of with a phone call to these guys and they should be able to tell you what your options are.
  • Watercraft Venture Corporation Bldg. 1031, Rizal Highway , Subic Bay, Freeport Zone, Olongapo CHY 2222 Tel:+63 47 252 1739

If what you need is an honest, highly experienced guy who can provide long term mooring assistance, basic repair services, and keep your boat safe, then Nigel Roberts in Tambobo Bay in my IMHO would be your best option.

Best,

zUrchin
Old 04-09-2012, 02:05   #41

My boat is at watercraft for another week or so. If I can be of any assistance, let me know
Old 04-09-2012, 02:22   #42

Boat: Freydis 49

Been sailing through the Philippines for a few Months now, Porto Princessa, Borocay and down to Cebu, havnt seen any problems at all and the locals are very friendly and helpfull (also great skilled labour at very reasonable rates)
Heading down to Samal Island in Mindanoa soon as I hear it is nice there.
Old 04-09-2012, 19:09   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by danblack View Post
My boat is at watercraft for another week or so. If I can be of any assistance, let me know
Dan, it would be very helpful if you could share with us your 1st hand experience with Watercraft in Subic goes.
  • Overall value
  • Quality of work
  • Timeliness
  • etc.

Even better if you could post that on the Sailing in the Philippines Social Site.

Best of luck on your journey to the Solomons. I've got one more winter and spring in the US midwest before the living the island life in the PI.

Safe journey

zUrchin
Old 05-09-2012, 15:45   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUrchin

Dan, it would be very helpful if you could share with us your 1st hand experience with Watercraft in Subic goes.
[*]Overall value[*]Quality of work[*]Timeliness[*]etc.

Even better if you could post that on the Sailing in the Philippines Social Site.

Best of luck on your journey to the Solomons. I've got one more winter and spring in the US midwest before the living the island life in the PI.

Safe journey

zUrchin
I don't know where to find the Philippines site. If I was to navigate a boat the way I navigate this site. I would never find my way out of the harbour.
Anyway back to watercraft. The dock fees are reasonable, although the dock is falling apart. They have some very good mechanics, but they jack the
Price up too much. They have a travel lift for haulout. They charged me 17,000p for in and out, which I thought was reasonable for my 41ft, but were
Way over the top for the anti fouling job. I decided to do the work myself, but could not find a pressure washer. "Spanky" who is friendly and helpful
said he would rent theirs for 5000. I said no way and got it for 2,500. Bottom line is, cheap place to tie up. You can walk next door to the Yacht Club.
Great for haul out. Find your own workers
Old 05-09-2012, 21:31   #45

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by danblack View Post
I don't know where to find the Philippines site.
Here:>>>> Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Boats & Sailing in The Philippines

Tags
Philippines, philippines