Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 08:45   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Bruce Anchor for Eastern Caribbean ?

I hate to even ask because I know these anchor questions are like asking gear heads about motor oil but here goes...

I have a 43' ketch, roughly 28k lbs disp. Current primary anchor is a 45lb bruce with 200' 3/8 chain. I plan to carry 2 other anchors, a 45lb CQR and a fortress, additional chain and nylon rodes. Im wondering what experience folks have had with the Bruce in the Eastern Caribbean? Ive used CQRs primarily with good results but am new to the bruce. The boat came with the bruce and Im not really excited about buying a new anchor although the rocnas and mansons seem nice. Been using the bruce here on the Chesapeake for 2 summers now with great results but in the mud we have here I bet a McDonalds tray would work if you could get it to sink right...

So Im looking for folks who have experience with a bruce in the eastern caribbean. Thanks
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 08:58   #2

Re: Bruce for Eastern Caribbean?

wouldnt be my choice for those strong steady winds..... it will liklely plow along in the sand some. But what the heck, you've got a good backup. And realistically, with chain rode it might not see much pull....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 09:08   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
Im 45' 31,000 use the same anchor 60 meters 3/8 chain 80 meters of sixplait. 40 foot 3/4" 3 strand snubber. Never dragged it. Havent used it where your going but all up and down the east coast. Similar set up I have fortress at the stern rail and a 65' cqr stashed below. Lamented on taking the Luke storm anchor off but really it was just being weight. Enjoy tue trip
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 09:12   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Depends if you are insured or not.

And/or if your wife and chillens are abord.

If No and Yes then I would pop the brucey to bed and get a better anchor Rocna and Manson Suprime are well tested.

I use a delta because I can't afford a new R or MS

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 09:14   #5

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND

If it worked well for you in the Chesapeake it will probably work well for you in the Eastern Caribbean. It would be nice if it were a bit heavier than 45lbs for your displacement but you can make it work if you are careful in setting your anchor before you settle in for the night.

You would sleep even better if you can muster up the bucks to buy a Manson, Rocna or Spade all of which will work great in the Eastern Caribbean. If you get to the Eastern caribbean and realize that you are under anchored there are chandleries right there that will sell you a bigger "better" anchor.

Feeling confident that you will not drag at anchor is a priceless feeling after a long day of cruising.
Old 28-07-2011, 09:54   #6

If you can trade it for a Delta, much the better. I like the Delta on a budget in steady winds. Watch it in a wind reversal though!
Old 28-07-2011, 09:59   #7

Thanks everyone. Still waiting to hear from someone who has actually used a bruce in the eastern caribbean though...

Boat is insured and will be cruising with family for what ever that is worth.
Old 28-07-2011, 10:14   #8

No reason you can't drop 2 anchors near 180 Deg. apart and hang on the both of them. If you find you are not trusting of just one anchor.
PEACETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 10:24   #9

I think you'll find it's mostly coarse white/gold sand. Of course there are exceptions. My Delta's usually dug in so deep you couldnt see them rather quickly. One advantage of the EC is the winds are generally steady from one direction... I havent had a Bruce in years but knew a lot of people who had them in Mexico when the Bruce was the "new kid on the block" and the thing to have. In a good blow, in sand, they tend to plow along a little and allow the boat to move some. Great in rocks. People started using the Bruce in about 2 sizes larger than specified. I would have about a 55# Delta on your size boat for the main anchor. Maybe bigger in a Bruce.
Old 28-07-2011, 10:53   #10

I used a 45# Bruce with 100 feet of 3/8 BBB and then 3/4" rode on a 41' 20K ketch in the Eastern Caribbean. Worked pretty well, dragged a couple of times, but decent performance. Went to a 55# Delta and never looked back-sold the Bruce and never dragged the Delta.
One man's opinion, worth what you paid for it...
newboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 10:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by newboat View Post
I used a 45# Bruce with 100 feet of 3/8 BBB and then 3/4" rode on a 41' 20K ketch in the Eastern Caribbean. Worked pretty well, dragged a couple of times, but decent performance. Went to a 55# Delta and never looked back-sold the Bruce and never dragged the Delta.
One man's opinion, worth what you paid for it...

Thank you for your post. This was what I was looking for. Someone who had used the anchor in question in the location in question. Thanks again.
Old 29-07-2011, 11:44   #12

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Re: Bruce for Eastern Caribbean ?

MAte, 90% of the places you're going to are nice sandy bottoms..... mmmm that sounds kinna nice... but anyways... The wind blows 25 - 30 sometimes so you need something that holds good in sand.... If you're happy with the anchor you have now in sand then youre good.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 11:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingaway221 View Post
MAte, 90% of the places you're going to are nice sandy bottoms..... mmmm that sounds kinna nice... but anyways... The wind blows 25 - 30 sometimes so you need something that holds good in sand.... If you're happy with the anchor you have now in sand then youre good.
Well put. I have seen rocky bottoms in the caribe (Tobago) and mucky muddy bottoms too. sandy bottoms vary from silt fine stuff to coarse sand. Overall in the Caribe you need a good anchor in sand. Bruces tend to move along a little ... if a chop develops they seem to move along faster.... doesnt matter if you're in Mexico or the Caribe.

Old 29-07-2011, 12:53   #14

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Thanks everyone. Still waiting to hear from someone who has actually used a bruce in the eastern caribbean though...

Boat is insured and will be cruising with family for what ever that is worth.
I have used a Bruce in the Caribean, that is why I told you it could work for you and that a heavier Bruce would be better. That is also why I told you to try and shell out some bucks to get an anchor that would even work better than a Bruce. So there you are.
Old 29-07-2011, 13:07   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day all,

Don't know why you think that the Caribe presents different anchorage situations than other locales. If taken as a whole, one will certainly run the normal gamut of bottoms, just as in any other large area.

Having said that, I have used a 20 KG Bruce on both Insatiables. It worked well as a primary anchor on I-one (36' 22000 lb mono) for many years, throughout Mexico and the South Pacific. On I-two (46' 21000 lb mono) it proved inadequate. Replaced with a 30 kg knockoff Bruce, and that worked ok except in thin muddy bottoms. Replaced that with a 60 lb Manson Supreme which has been simply excellent.

So, my advice would be to at least upgrade the Bruce to a 30 kg model for your vessel.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
anchor, Caribbean, eastern caribbean