Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2013, 19:07   #1

Boat: 1987 Californian Aftcabin 42'
PNW Cruising Question

Hey folks, back with another question. I am wondering what you all use as kind of a go / no go range of parameters up here in the PNW waters ? I am looking at heading up to Port Angeles WA From Astoria Oregon sometime around the first week of Aug. I Have a 1978 42' Californian aft cabin that I brought up from San Francisco 2 yrs ago. We have been just floating around here in the Columbia River and to be honest I don't recall what we used to decide to make the hops up.
I am looking to make it as comfortable a ride as I can but at the same time I need / want to get up to Pt. Ang. sooner than later. So I would like to know what wind speeds / wind wave heights / sea swells and time between them etc. ya might use as kind of a rule of thumb ? I intend to make this trip in 3 hops, Astoria to Grays Harbor, than La Push , than Neah Bay and than on to PT. Angeles so they will all only be a 6/7 hr to 9/10 hr run of 60 to 80 miles. OK well any advise or thoughts are much appreciated by both myself and the "Admiral"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	splash 20.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	64359  
firedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 17:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: PNW Cruising Question

We don't leave Astoria unless the swells are (total wind and sea state) less than 10 feet and are going to be that way for the next 48 hours. Remember to cross the banks on a flood tide.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising