Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2013, 21:24   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Cruising Mexico

...La Paz first, then John flies back to Hawaii. Then I'm a single hander again. If time permits, the mainland and up the sea in the spring, I'm guessing. I want a new set of sails for "Joli` Elle" before I head to the Marquesas. Maybe a watermaker too. We'll have to see how it all works out. I can usually plan 6 months ahead and sometimes a year but not past that. I have a house in Northern Ca. that needs some changes. So you see, I'm a busy boy.
P.S. ...man...lot's of military here. Helo's over my head all the time.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 06:47   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...La Paz first, then John flies back to Hawaii. Then I'm a single hander again. If time permits, the mainland and up the sea in the spring, I'm guessing. I want a new set of sails for "Joli` Elle" before I head to the Marquesas. Maybe a watermaker too. We'll have to see how it all works out. I can usually plan 6 months ahead and sometimes a year but not past that. I have a house in Northern Ca. that needs some changes. So you see, I'm a busy boy.
P.S. ...man...lot's of military here. Helo's over my head all the time.
Yeah, San Diego is a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard town. Tons of assets moving around. If you think Chula Vista is bad you should spend time up near North Island.

I hear you on the schedule. I feel a little foolish talking about what we're doing six months from now because so many things can change but if I don't aim for something then nothing happens, so you have to have some framework.

Snug Harbor Sails shut down in La Paz; they were the only sailmaker there I think (?) and my main was the last one they made. Merrie from Hotspur has it sitting on her boat right now waiting for me to get back.

Either way though, you'll have a hoot. La Paz is a plenty enough okay place to be stuck for a year. As hot as it is I'd much rather spend a summer there than the mainland, just my personal opinion.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 07:06   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you donot like hot or too many gringos, southwest coast of mexico is perfect--beautiful, temp range is only 72 min in winter, and 90 max in summer. there is humidity and lots of cool scenery. and lots of rainfall.
is lovely without the masses of gringo turistas--here they have mexican turistas, instead--they SPEND money like drunken sailors....
it is only a loss to those not caring to visit--not a loss to the place here..is awesome cool that we dont have toput up with folks who dont like it in mexico, as baja is filled with these and so is mazatlan and la cruz.

is nice to see folks with actual smiles on their faces here, unlike la cruz and mazatlan and baja. folks look so dour and unhappy. here they appear happy and as if enjoying this experience.
what a concept.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 07:27   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if you donot like hot or too many gringos, southwest coast of mexico is perfect--beautiful, temp range is only 72 min in winter, and 90 max in summer. there is humidity and lots of cool scenery. and lots of rainfall.
is lovely without the masses of gringo turistas--here they have mexican turistas, instead--they SPEND money like drunken sailors....
it is only a loss to those not caring to visit--not a loss to the place here..is awesome cool that we dont have toput up with folks who dont like it in mexico, as baja is filled with these and so is mazatlan and la cruz.

is nice to see folks with actual smiles on their faces here, unlike la cruz and mazatlan and baja. folks look so dour and unhappy. here they appear happy and as if enjoying this experience.
what a concept.
Some pictures of dour and unhappy La Cruz (and Punta Mita)

Old 26-09-2013, 07:40   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

it is one thing to watch a party happen and another to watch as folks walk along in candid appearance.
watch the walkers and folks who do not realize you are watching. is more real that way.
parties happen everywhere and folks can always get in the mood. but if you watch them as they walk an d do their chores, you will se something else yet again., i watch all, nopt just parties..lol

you can run away from the place you were in, but you cannot run away from self.
many who expatriate do not have the party atmosphere after the first year.

locals are always happy--is the gringos who come here who wear dour expressions...keep a watch--you will see it also.
it has always amazed me as to how grouchy souls get when they donot believe anyone can see them.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 14:46   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

Looks like fun to me,but where are all the folks at the carnival
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 15:35   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Looks like fun to me,but where are all the folks at the carnival
It's a small town, maybe 1k people. A few more shots from the same night (semana santa).

Old 26-09-2013, 22:11   #38

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Lookin' forward to it. I've been as far south in Mexico as Ensenada back in the 70s for my daughter's swim meet. She broke her leg in that one so the drive home was pretty traumatic and dramatic. She was 13 or 14.
Very helpful and friendly folks.
I used to take Navy folks across the border and introduce them to the barrios in Tijuana for cross-cultural training. Pretty eye-opening for someone who had never been out of the US. Taquitos at the push carts were 5 cents.
I'll get as far as La Paz with Martin (I hope) before he kicks me off the boat. What have I got myself into? I've committed so should be "committed."
Wish me luck.
Old 26-09-2013, 22:35   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Lookin' forward to it. I've been as far south in Mexico as Ensenada back in the 70s for my daughter's swim meet. She broke her leg in that one so the drive home was pretty traumatic and dramatic. She was 13 or 14.
Very helpful and friendly folks.
I used to take Navy folks across the border and introduce them to the barrios in Tijuana for cross-cultural training. Pretty eye-opening for someone who had never been out of the US. Taquitos at the push carts were 5 cents.
I'll get as far as La Paz with Martin (I hope) before he kicks me off the boat. What have I got myself into? I've committed so should be "committed."
Wish me luck.
The run down Baja is cool in a desolate-funky-beautiful sort of way. I did three legs: Ensenada to Turtle Bay, Turtle Bay to Santa Maria, Santa Maria to Cabo San Lucas. Each one was ~300 miles and took about three days. I'm sure you've got plenty of info on it already but if I can help at all let me know.

If you guys are there around the end of October look me up, although I suppose you'll just be heading south then. I spent three weeks going down the coast. Sailed for three days, four days on the hook waiting weather, rinse/repeat.
Old 27-09-2013, 07:26   #40

Boat: Mariner (N.H.), Sloop, 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Tory Salvia

For those planning a cruise to Mexico, check out our video, "Cast Off for Mexico". It includes everything you need to know about visiting Baja's northernmost Port of Entry, Ensenada.

During the video, you'll learn about immigration procedures and required documents for your crew and your vessel for a hassle free voyage to and from Mexico. The video features a round-trip voyage (via powerboat) to Ensenada, Mexico and back to San Diego as your return Port of Entry into the United States.

Included are extensive tours of Ensenada, its harbor, marinas and boating facilities, plus in-depth interviews with Mexican boating experts, and Mexican and U.S. immigration and port officials. There is also advice on destinations throughout Baja and the Sea of Cortez, plus a side trip to Baja's scenic wine region.

Produced by Ted Field and Mark Ritts, the same team that produced our popular video cruising guide, "Cast Off for Catalina".

Tory Salvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 11:25   #41

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Thanks for the great info Rebel. Will check out the video later today Tory.
Old 27-09-2013, 21:55   #42

[QUOTE=rebel heart;1350120]
Snug Harbor Sails shut down in La Paz; they were the only sailmaker there I think (?) and my main was the last one they made. Merrie from Hotspur has it sitting on her boat right now waiting for me to get back.
QUOTE]
I'll probably get a set from Hood. The quality is incredible but unfortunately 40% higher cost.

Quote:
Touche`
Quote:
The run down Baja is cool in a desolate-funky-beautiful sort of way. I did three legs: Ensenada to Turtle Bay, Turtle Bay to Santa Maria, Santa Maria to Cabo San Lucas. Each one was ~300 miles and took about three days. I'm sure you've got plenty of info on it already but if I can help at all let me know.

If you guys are there around the end of October look me up, although I suppose you'll just be heading south then. I spent three weeks going down the coast. Sailed for three days, four days on the hook waiting weather, rinse/repeat.
Sounds exactly what John and I have planed. So maybe be down there the 3rd week in Nov. Lets stay in touch. I will probably have a week or so between oral surgury and I can look you up somewhere. I hope Steve and his family get back too. I'd like to see them again.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 27-09-2013, 22:07   #43

Quote:

what a concept.
Quote:
it is one thing to watch a party happen and another to watch as folks walk along in candid appearance.
watch the walkers and folks who do not realize you are watching. is more real that way.
parties happen everywhere and folks can always get in the mood. but if you watch them as they walk an d do their chores, you will se something else yet again., i watch all, nopt just parties..lol

you can run away from the place you were in, but you cannot run away from self.
many who expatriate do not have the party atmosphere after the first year.

locals are always happy--is the gringos who come here who wear dour expressions...keep a watch--you will see it also.
it has always amazed me as to how grouchy souls get when they donot believe anyone can see them.
Zee....honey...dear...At some point you're going have to face that no matter where you are...it's always the greatest place and eveyone else should be there. I distinctly remember when you where in Mazatlan...it was the greatest place and you defended the dinghy thefts that where going on there. Then how great La Cruz was. Now it's Bara. I'm sure it's all great but geeeez girl...let everyone discover there adventures for themselves. A place does not define a person's happiness. People from one place in Mx are no different from another one in another part of Mx.
As far as Gringo's and locals, what's the difference from one soul to another. Each person is unique to themselves with something unique and awesome to offer to one other. I think the bottom line is we attract who we are and what we have become.
Old 28-09-2013, 10:53   #44
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Best time and places in 4yrs of full time Mexico Cruising was the Summers in the Sea of Cortez...BLA, Topolobampo, Refugio. Not too many Gringo owned bars and resturants up there, but if you are into getting to know and interact with the locals without the time shares and like uncrowded anchorages for days or even weeks on end....bingo...you will love it. But if you are the marina to marina type of cruiser, you won't like it north of Santa Rosilia no docks for water or diesel until San Filipe or Puerto Penasco on the Baja side.

There are as many different types of cruisers as their are dirt dwellers and some of them are just as touchy about the path they chose. We hated La Curse, others loved it. We loved anchoring in the San Blas Estuary....some hated it. We spent maybe 60 days in a marina in 4 years of Mexico, while other spend that in their frist 60 days in country. No way is better/worse than the other, but there are always those (just like back on land in the States) that have the mindset that what ever we did/do was the only way and everyone else is either wrong or crazy. We knew cruiser who NEVER ate at a food cart or place without an english menu, we had our best meals ever from taco carts standing there with the locals. Like I said from the start...others turned it into a "real mexico debate" for some crazy reason.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Mexico, paracelle