Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2013, 14:30   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Cruising Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Gotcha...But Zee said La Cruz isn't part of Mx...
Sure it is...just like the other tourrist spots in Mexico.
If the menus are printed in English...keep on moving
After 4 years in Mexico full time including the summers, you learn a few things about where the good eats are to be found.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 15:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Sure it is...just like the other tourrist spots in Mexico.
If the menus are printed in English...keep on moving
After 4 years in Mexico full time including the summers, you learn a few things about where the good eats are to be found.
This yard stick of what's "real Mexico" and what isn't seems a little silly to be honest. "Real Mexico" is probably in the hills of Durango or Tamaulipas. Areas that neither you, nor I, nor Zeehag, or anyone from this forum would ever go to (let alone survive getting out of). It could also be the deep jungles of the Yucatan, or maybe bullet-ridden Juarez.

This "real Mexico" bs reminds me of neighbors arguing about who's lawn mower is better.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 15:13   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

This "real Mexico" bs reminds me of neighbors arguing about who's lawn mower is better.
Funny....you entered the argument
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 15:35   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Funny....you entered the argument
Funny you call it an argument.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 15:39   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:

This yard stick of what's "real Mexico" and what isn't seems a little silly to be honest. "Real Mexico" is probably in the hills of Durango or Tamaulipas. Areas that neither you, nor I, nor Zeehag, or anyone from this forum would ever go to (let alone survive getting out of). It could also be the deep jungles of the Yucatan, or maybe bullet-ridden Juarez

As I have driven deep in the jungle of Yucatan with a rented Jeep I can vouch that I felt perfectly safe.

In fact it was one of the highlights of a trip getting away from all the touristy type things.
Old 25-09-2013, 15:45   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the farther away from turistas one gets, the better this place is.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 15:47   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
As I have driven deep in the jungle of Yucatan with a rented Jeep I can vouch that I felt perfectly safe.

In fact it was one of the highlights of a trip getting away from all the touristy type things.
My point is that the vast majority of Mexico has no coastline and is never frequented by other-than-Mexicans at all, except for northbound immigrants from Central America trying to get into the US.

It's akin to sailing the navigable (and anchorable) coasts of the US, and then saying that you know about "real America". I mean that's what, maybe 5% of the country, tops?

How about we just share our knowledge and let people know about our respective experiences. We can skip the "I'm the real Mexican cruiser" nonsense.
Old 25-09-2013, 16:34   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:

My point is that the vast majority of Mexico has no coastline and is never frequented by other-than-Mexicans at all, except for northbound immigrants from Central America trying to get into the US.

It's akin to sailing the navigable (and anchorable) coasts of the US, and then saying that you know about "real America". I mean that's what, maybe 5% of the country, tops?

How about we just share our knowledge and let people know about our respective experiences. We can skip the "I'm the real Mexican cruiser" nonsense.
We actually "cruised" to the Yucatan with a 737.
Old 25-09-2013, 16:57   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

most of the moneyed mexicans spend a lot of time at the beaches of southwest mexico.

many not so wealthy mexicans spend a lot of time on the beaches of southwest mexico. it is alovely place most gringos do not appreciate except in january and february. then they take their little plastic boats and return somewhere that is advised to be safe for summer according to their insurance compnany recommendations ans fine print.
but then folks who do not trespass into south west mexico would not know that.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 17:53   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
This yard stick of what's "real Mexico" and what isn't seems a little silly to be honest. "Real Mexico" is probably in the hills of Durango or Tamaulipas. Areas that neither you, nor I, nor Zeehag, or anyone from this forum would ever go to (let alone survive getting out of). It could also be the deep jungles of the Yucatan, or maybe bullet-ridden Juarez.

This is funny ,I have never been to any tourist places in Mexico other than Baja ,I have been to "the hills of Durango" Oxhaca,Zacatecas,and even Juarez , Larado Neuvo,Mitchuacan,Pachuca(poor ass place)etc anywhere but near a golf course..lol
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 18:28   #26

Well...I'm going to take my little plastic boat into the Sea of Cortez, just to check it out. I imagine I will find like minded cruisers there as well. I also imagine i will make friends with some locals also as I do with the other countries I have traveled. To me...this isn't some kind of contest *who has the perfect place to be*. I'm a sailor, sure. But more so i like adventure and if I get bored, I tend to move on. I certainly don't want to become one of the human wrecks in Baja or anywhere else in Mexico. I'm not looking for a place to live on the cheap. I merely want to do it my way.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 25-09-2013, 19:41   #27

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

For most of us Gulf side cruisers think of mexcio as a stop off going to Belize and south LOL Theres not a big bunch of mexico to see unless ya stop off to see some of the great mayan ruins and a couple of old timey Spanish towns. Of course theres always Cancun and Cozomel, theres a great Takillya factory to vist! LOL some great stuff there!! But mostly we stop and have a couple of good meals, and head south for belize and below, or hit a choge to the Islands! But we sure don't have the Mexican cruiseing you folks do on the west coast !
Old 25-09-2013, 20:41   #28

Quote:
Well...I'm going to take my little plastic boat into the Sea of Cortez, just to check it out. I imagine I will find like minded cruisers there as well. I also imagine i will make friends with some locals also as I do with the other countries I have traveled. To me...this isn't some kind of contest *who has the perfect place to be*. I'm a sailor, sure. But more so i like adventure and if I get bored, I tend to move on. I certainly don't want to become one of the human wrecks in Baja or anywhere else in Mexico. I'm not looking for a place to live on the cheap. I merely want to do it my way.
It's a great plan, you'll have a blast. And like you said, if you don't like something, untie the moorings or weigh anchor and go somewhere else. Even my beloved La Cruz de Huanacaxtle I was itching to leave after a few months.

I like seeing new things, checking out new places, and meeting new people. People crap on Santa Catalina, but I had a blast moored there in Two Harbors for a month.

So maybe I missed all this, but are you coming down the in the fall?
Old 25-09-2013, 20:50   #29

...as I type, I'm in Chula Vista...your old hood. My friend and fellow CF member, "SkiprJohn", is flying over to enjoy the ride down to Mananaland the end of October. I need to scope out some dentist in La Paz and not sure how long all that work might take. I know you're probably pond jumping in March, so I'm at least a year behind you.
Old 25-09-2013, 21:01   #30

Quote:
...as I type, I'm in Chula Vista...your old hood. My friend and fellow CF member, "SkiprJohn", is flying over to enjoy the ride down to Mananaland the end of October. I need to scope out some dentist in La Paz and not sure how long all that work might take. I know you're probably pond jumping in March, so I'm at least a year behind you.
Oh that's right, the La Paz dentist thing.

So you guys are headed all the way down to the mainland, but you're headed back to La Paz, or La Paz first then going across the Sea?

Tags
cruising, Mexico, paracelle