Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2016, 14:52   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Cruising from San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Also you should consider the impact of the move to the Country of California in general.
OK, as a native Californian I have to say, "huh?" You mean the impact we will have on him (certainly a positive one!) or the impact he will have on us???
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 15:04   #32

San Diego: High Slip fees, state taxes, nowhere to cruise. FLORIDA. Done both.
If you don't HAVE to have sunny weather than PNW has endless cruising destinations. But cold half the year. Not cold like the N East coast, but still....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 15:23   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
OK, as a native Californian I have to say, "huh?" You mean the impact we will have on him (certainly a positive one!) or the impact he will have on us???
I grew up 100 miles from San Diego and since then I've lived in a lot of other places, but I haven't moved back to CA.
Old 16-02-2016, 20:01   #34

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

80 degrees today, warm wind 10-15kts grey whales and their young with huge pod's of dolphin. Looking at snow capped mountains two hours away. Two years registration on a 35' boat $16. Slip w/ utilities $350. Santa Catalina island,San Clemente Island catching and spearing White Sea bass. Islands, anacapa, san Miguel, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa......Yikes... I gotta get outta here....
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 20:24   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Makes it sound pretty good, duefocena, but you left out the property tax bill. Dunno what that's like these days, but it used to be a killer in Alameda County and all the other areas around SF bay.

And not a word about smog, overcrowding, and all the other attributes of megalopolis living.

But on the other hand, the wx is good and the MExican food is great!

And my kids both live there, s we visit now and then!

Jim
Old 16-02-2016, 20:36   #36

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

The property tax bill may have been left out - but the state income tax was left out also. None in Washington; and the slip fees are less expensive. I know, like Cheechako said, cold sometimes, but worth the trade off.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 10:36   #37

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39

I live in the SF Bay Area and am considering moving south to the Dana Point area after retirement later this year. It is an area my wife likes, and where she can get a good job. I can hack the real estate expenses, etc., but am finding multi year waiting lists for a slip, either 35' or 40' to be a major concern.

Does anyone have any strategy, advice or solution to that issue?

It's 65-70 miles from San Diego to Dana Point and north of Dana Point slips are unobtanium.
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 10:39   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Makes it sound pretty good, duefocena, but you left out the property tax bill. Dunno what that's like these days, but it used to be a killer in Alameda County and all the other areas around SF bay.

And not a word about smog, overcrowding, and all the other attributes of megalopolis living.

But on the other hand, the wx is good and the MExican food is great!

And my kids both live there, s we visit now and then!

Jim
Jim~
You're right about taxation here. I called this morning to be sure and the property tax is 1% of your boats assessed value. I had to call because I cruise more than 6 months per year so I don't receive one.
As far as smog , there isn't much here on the coast but anywhere there is a car there is smog. I drove 60 miles north to help a friend with his old Herrshoff and it took almost an hour and a half on the freeway. The overcrowding of cars is an issue and luckily I rarely need to drive further than a couple miles here or there. The marinas don't seem overcrowded to me. There are 51 slips on my dock and seldom is there more than a couple boaters, even in the summer. When I lived in the PNW as soon as the weather broke there were people in droves enjoying their boats. Same when I lived back east in RI.
Personal income tax is much higher than corporate tax so many incorporate and let the corporation pay them what they need. Others do a charter here and there and write off slip, fuel, upgrades, etc.
Personally, I've looked at the cost differences and can live pretty comfortably without feeling that if I moved I would save appreciably.
Good and bad to everywhere I guess but I am older now and just don't do cold.
Old 17-02-2016, 10:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttskie View Post
I live in the SF Bay Area and am considering moving south to the Dana Point area after retirement later this year. It is an area my wife likes, and where she can get a good job. I can hack the real estate expenses, etc., but am finding multi year waiting lists for a slip, either 35' or 40' to be a major concern.

It's 65-70 miles from San Diego to Dana Point and north of Dana Point slips are unobtanium.
Bill~
Dana point is a small harbor (2,500 slips) With a large number that are sail. It's quiet and has very little crime.Everything is within walking distance.
There are two separate marinas. Dana West and Dana Point Marina Co. Both allow a 3' overhang so a 32' slip can go 35' etc. You can sub-let from slip holders for 6 months at a time and there are a lot of us that cruise that long per year, ( I do). The slip holder can not charge a penny more than the price the marina charges.
You can put your boat in a charter fleet and get a slip immediately from Aventura sailing. You can negotiate the rules of usage with ,"only when you are aboard", "CG licensed only" etc.
You can go into guest usage immediately @ $1 per foot per day, ( expensive ), but temporary until you get your slip.
There is the option of going 10 miles north to Newport Beach and going on a mooring. $200 per month for a 40' and you can buy it outright or sublease it from the owner. My Lagoon was on a mooring there for a few years without incident. Pump outs, fresh water and use of electricity is readily available as well as dinghy space. Not as convenient but it is a great harbor with a lot of boating action, restaurants, activity etc.
The amount of good days to be on the water per year makes some of the other downsides more tolerable for me. I addressed some of others concerns in a previous post today. Let me know if I can be of any further help in you finding a slip.
Old 17-02-2016, 12:09   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

I know it is probably too far north, but I believe there may be slips available in Channel Islands Harbor in your size range.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 13:08   #41

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:

duefocena explained it all perfectly. I've been on the 35' waitlist for 2 years. Don't think my name has even moved. Maybe it has. 40' would be pretty close to unobtainable in any other way than duefocena mentioned.

Dana Point sure is a nice spot to sail out of though. The west marina is a pretty good cruise down the channel to get out to the ocean. But the east marina (where I am) is about 5 min to get out. Since I use the boat a lot that's nice. There's spots in Newport that the first hour or so of a daysail would be inside the harbor. The area is very nice. Only real drawback is the thousands of speed bumps paddleboards that you need to dodge on the way in/out of the harbor.

San Pedro/Long Beach is cheaper than south Orange County - and more available. I'm not up to speed at all about points north like King Harbor or MDR. (I used to live in MDR, but that was 20 years ago)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 10:33   #42

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Cruising from San Diego

Quote:

Also a bit of a hike from Dana Point area but in San Pedro, Cabrillo Way marina has openings. And at the moment, in Long Beach, Shoreline Marina has a short waiting list.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 11:57   #43

Open slips in Long Beach , Marina Del Rey, Wilmington and San Pedro. Upside: They are all closer and a beam reach to Catalina Island ports. Downside: If you live in Dana Point it's 45 minutes to an hour to get to your boat. Prices for a 36' boat like yours ranges from $350-$800 a month. If you want a hot jacuzzi and spaesque surroundings go to Marina Del Rey and check it out. Cabrillo Marina ( San Pedro) is a great Marina with top notch facilities for 25% less.
Old 18-02-2016, 12:00   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Makes it sound pretty good, duefocena, but you left out the property tax bill.
We hear this repeatedly, usually in California-bashing rants.

Our yearly bill is less than $300, or one month's slip fee.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 12:09   #45

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39

Duefocena, jeepbluetj, Don CL and Tayana 42,
Thank you, all, for your help.

I put myself on the 35 ft. waitlist. Right now it's about a 4-5 year wait, so jeepbluetj, you should expect another couple of years at least. This is according to the very nice office staff.

I am particularly interested in Duefocena's idea of the charter fleet option. I worry about the boat though. I have spent the last 18 months on a complete refit and she is quite pristine.

Newport harbor's available slip is in excess of $1500 per month. Out of my budget. I don't think I'd go for a mooring, either.

My relocation won't be until late this year at the earliest, so I have some time to work it out.

All of your input took me from "it isn't feasible" to "it could work".

Thank you, again.

Bill Petras
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, san diego