Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 22:18   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Cruising from San Diego

Yep, I'd certainly second what Roverhi and Yeti say! Hop up to Catalina, then up to Santa Cruz, probably Scorpion anchorage is best, then Santa Barbara (most folks do) but I'd go all the way up to Point Conception (another day) and stay at Cojo anchorage. It is a nice, though sometimes breezy, anchorage that has a remote feel except for the train going by now and then. Then I'd beam reach out to San Miguel if it is not too windy. If it is, run down to Santa Rosa and stay at Becher's. Hike around for a couple days there, it is a beautiful island, and like all of them you'll feel like you have been transported back in time to a California before settlers. Then hop over to Forney Cove on Santa Cruz, one of my favorites, and take a day to hike around the west end of the island. Then though the south side is beautiful too, I'd run down the north side, stay at any of a number of nice coves along the way and stop at Prisoner's Harbor for the hike into the interior of the island. Then back down to Catalina for a couple days to get to know that a bit more and then run back down to SD. If my math is right that is about two weeks. Now this is a trip to do in late spring, summer and early fall. Going right now I'd not plan the same itinerary. You will find, in general, more wind and larger waves in the Santa Barbara Channel, usually in the afternoons, and things getting more settled as you move south to SD. Pretty idyllic really to my mind. No matter what, I'd recommend getting the Cruising Guide books to southern Cal. and the Channel Islands by Brian Fagan.

BTW beautiful work and beautiful boats on your blog! Why not move out to Channel Islands and, could you give me a hand rebuilding some hatches?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:17   #17

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Given that it's going down to 4 degrees F this weekend, I'm ready now ;-)

Actually, it sounds great. I'm definitely 'warming' to his idea.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:19   #18

The PNW is actually my first choice, but my wife is Brazilian and all she can think about is 'more sun!'.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:21   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post

BTW beautiful work and beautiful boats on your blog! Why not move out to Channel Islands and, could you give me a hand rebuilding some hatches?
Thanks! Only if you want the hatches varnished. There just isn't enough varnish in this world.
Old 15-02-2016, 23:30   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440 44'
Send a message via AIM to dietmar Send a message via Skype™ to dietmar

locally you got mexico - catalina & channel islands - but its only about 15 days to hawaii - 30 days to the marquesas - loads of anchorages at goodanchorage.com
Old 16-02-2016, 04:51   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

plans and words are awesome thoughts. in reality from san diego, one can sail channel islands--only takes 36 hours to get there... catalina-- mebbe 24 hours to sail uphill to catalina. folks actually DO sail from sd to catalina. not so much santa barbara.
ensenada is a 19 hour sail south. sometimes even only 16 hours depending on your breezes. my formosa caught a prefrontal wind and made it in 16 hours..
in summer there is sun, yes. the issues with sd and sailing-- usually not enough wind. however it is a beautiful place.
channel islands or ventura may be a better locale-- more sailing wind, and downhill to catalina....
personally, i tired of catalina rapidly. i didnt sail channel islands-iff i were to ever return to the frozen north of san diego, i might consider sailing channel islands.
HOWEVER, san diego is a good starting point for cruising.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 08:09   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
plans and words are awesome thoughts. in reality from san diego, one can sail channel islands--only takes 36 hours to get there... catalina-- mebbe 24 hours to sail uphill to catalina. folks actually DO sail from sd to catalina. not so much santa barbara.
ensenada is a 19 hour sail south. sometimes even only 16 hours depending on your breezes. my formosa caught a prefrontal wind and made it in 16 hours..
in summer there is sun, yes. the issues with sd and sailing-- usually not enough wind. however it is a beautiful place.
channel islands or ventura may be a better locale-- more sailing wind, and downhill to catalina....
personally, i tired of catalina rapidly. i didnt sail channel islands-iff i were to ever return to the frozen north of san diego, i might consider sailing channel islands.
HOWEVER, san diego is a good starting point for cruising.....

Yes good starting point. The north/west Channel Islands are far more interesting than Catalina imo.

We started in San Diego and have been up and down between there and San Francisco many times. We have sailed up to Alaska and back as well. Keep thinking we will leave the west coast but keep finding great trips and great places to see here.

Fair winds
Brenda and David

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-02-2016, 08:34   #23

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

The Channel Islands are only interesting if you are a Sierra Club type, or like to dive. (And you can't collect abalone any more). If you want to pub crawl, you have Avalon and Two Harbors on Catalina. The rest of the Channel Islands are uninhabited.
I wish I could open up a Marlin Club Bar North at Pelican Bay.
Another confusing thing, Channel Island Harbor is on the mainland, 30 miles away from the nearest island.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 09:46   #24

west coast is very beautiful. i have travelled it all from the land side and what ocean to land views i have watched are absolutely not to be missed.
why not start in pnw and buy boat there and sail it down??
decent fishing also...
Old 16-02-2016, 09:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
The Channel Islands are only interesting if you are a Sierra Club type, or like to dive. (And you can't collect abalone any more). If you want to pub crawl, you have Avalon and Two Harbors on Catalina. The rest of the Channel Islands are uninhabited.
Another confusing thing, Channel Island Harbor is on the mainland, 30 miles away from the nearest island.
cruisers love channel islands and dock queens n desk jocks and our late town drunk LOVED two harbors/ithsmus and avalon.
i preferred the uninhabited tranquility over the pub crawl of town drunk.
althohgh that has been a LOT of entertainment as they return to their boats/floating apartments/"sex haven away from the wd. "
Old 16-02-2016, 10:03   #26

Quote:

mebbe you should sail more often.
even hauling boats out folks know that
read your charts closer whenye sail.
both are well marked.
Old 16-02-2016, 10:14   #27

Boat: Catalina 387

Ain't no pub crawlin at Two Harbors. There's only one pub. (Unless you count crawling back to the boat....)

However, one must have a Buffalo Milk if one gets to Two Harbors. It's like a rule or something.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 10:46   #28

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Hmmm, well I guess I am a card-carrying, Sierra Clubbing, posey-picking, tree-hugging, granola eating lover of secluded, quiet, isolated coves and diving for the fun of it! By the way, Channel Islands Harbor is 11 miles from Anacapa Island and there is some great kayaking there with lots of caves! No bars though. Just go up to SB and stumble up to Brophy's, it's a short walk or crawl.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 11:01   #29

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

There is a cave on Santa Cruz island ( Painted Cave) that accommodates a 50' boat with 60' mast. Used to go there in the 80's from Santa Barbara harbor and launch a dink once in the cave. Take the dink way back into the cave with torches and get the hell scared out of you by seals on ledges. Have to pick your weather but it is a great adventure.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 14:24   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
I've spent my whole life sailing in Long Island Sound and New England, but after two weeks of snow, my wife is lobbying hard for a move to San Diego.

My big concern: other than sailing around San Diego Bay, which I'm sure is lovely, where do people cruise to on, say, a two week vacation?
You already really know the answer. You are going to trade the great variety of cruising and sailing grounds that are only available part of the year in the NE for the year round weather of SD.

Also you should consider the impact of the move to the Country of California in general.

Tags
cruising, san diego