Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 08:33   #16

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982
Re: Bashing north from Mexico to Victoria

While not an expert, I've done the 'bash' two times in my own boat and agree with IRG's assessment. Picking the most opportune time of year to do this trip and then picking a good weather window to leave are key. There is a great deal written on the subject. Jim Elfers, who has done a great number of deliveries from Cabo north, has written a book "The Baja Bash", which contains valuable information. The best time of year to leave, based on his experience, is early summer (July is the most benign) or late fall (November/December).

Both of the bashes I did were in summer ('09 in July; '15 in June). Since the predominate weather along the Pacific coast of North America is out of the NW, you can expect to be motor-sailing on much of the bash north. For the trip up the outside of the Baja Peninsula, you'll want your engine to be in top running condition and have the range to comfortably reach Bahia Tortugas (~350nm) for refueling. There is another option of fueling in Bahia de Magdalena, but it requires a trip along the circuitous channel into the port at San Carlos and return.

Sailing from San Carlos to Cabo San Lucas will be a relative milk run with many opportunities to explore and relax on your way south. Once in Cabo San Lucas, you want to look for your weather window to round Cabo Falso and make your first leg up to Bahia Magdalena (or Bahia Santa Maria, a beautiful anchorage about 18nm further to the north). While fuel may be had using jerry jugs through difficult surf landings in several coastal developments, taking fuel directly on board north of the Sea of Cortez may be done in Mag Bay (Puerto San Carlos), Turtle Bay, Cedros Island and Ensenada.

Once beyond Bahia Magdalena, the longest unprotected stretch of you passage will be crossing Bahia Vizcaino between Cedros Island mainland Baja. Otherwise, there are several points and bites offering anchorage and shelter from the predominate NW weather. Again, Jim Elfers book gives the most complete description of what to expect and how to plan for your bash. You're biggest surprise heading up the Pacific side of Baja will be how cold and damp it can be, even in the summer! Good luck and enjoy the journey.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:06   #17

Boat: Endurance 35,

We did the coastal bash all the way from Panama to B.C. in an Endurance 35 with 24 HP - spent 4 months at it and enjoyed 95%. Unpleasant part was that after 7 years in the tropics we were not prepared for the cold from San Diego north. Our intention was to do the clipper ship route offshore but every time we thought the time was right to head out we found we could sail or motor sail along the coast which was more favorable than heading SW at right angles to our direct route. Even as we passed Cabo we thought about heading west but had a great run to Mag Bay so stayed in shore - made the decision every day as to which route to take and like others have said the further north we got the less we traveled between noon and dusk - lots of interesting places to wait out the strong NW winds. We did get lucky from Brookings OR and 1 tacked it to Flattery late June.
Nanamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:12   #18

Boat: Caliber 40

This topic has been beat to death many times in the last dozen years. Here are just a few of the very long, intense, and contentious discussions:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-158045.html December 2015

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ry-151771.html Beginning at post #12 August 2015

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ow-151230.html August 2015 – I wish this captain had posted a report about this “bash” from SW mainland Mexico to Newport, Oregon during hurricane season

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...te-142544.html June 2015

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-146898.html May 2015

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...al-145914.html Feb 2015 lots of details in this one

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ck-142997.html March 2015

That is just the last year of discussions (over 300 postings) about this topic

My bottom line based on my closest sailing friend's and my combined experience:

- Sailed Seattle to San Diego seven times
- Sailed San Diego to SW Mexico five times
- Sailed SW Mexico to San Diego three times
- Sailed SW Mexico to Hawaii
- Sailed SW Mexico to Florida
- Sailed Seattle to Cape Scott on outside
- Sailed San Diego to Santa Barbara/Catalina many times

I trucked our 40’ cutter from San Carlos to Seattle
My friend shipped his 47’ cutter on a boat from La Paz to Victoria twice

Combined we have over 75-years sailing experience and 20,000 blue water miles and neither of us would subject our boat to the Cabo San Lucas to Cape Flattery abuse.

It can be done safely and comfortably, IF you have a lot of time to sit and wait for weather windows. That sitting and waiting MAY be in very expensive smaller ports costing you $50 to $100/night.

The list of threads above contain many reports from folks who have done the bash and did not think it too severe or damaging to their boat.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:27   #19

Have done trip and if you expect calm seas "ship it" last trip after Cabo to Long beach we took it in smaller bits Long Beach to Santa barbara,,Santa Barbara to Port San Luis, to Morro Bay very short hop. Morro bay to Monterey, monterey to SF you get the drift watch your weather.. and don't be in a rush..the more northerly the worse the weather. always about 1.25 or more current to deal with..many hours of motorsailing. WE sail;ed Hans 43 with auto pilot and made the trip enjoyable over three weeks and was not worn out. don friday harbor
dagranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 22:29   #20

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Sail back to Victoria yet? Would love to do some sailing there. I am currently cruising in my land cruiser in the San Juan Islands.
Let me know if sailing in Victoria.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 16:41   #21
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Sail back to Victoria yet? Would love to do some sailing there. I am currently cruising in my land cruiser in the San Juan Islands.
Let me know if sailing in Victoria.
I am in Victoria .... if you need a salt water fix let me know and maybe we can arrange something.

PS.: your mailbox is full and wouldn't accept this as a pm
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 19:07   #22

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Will fix the mail box and check with you when I get to Victoria.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico