Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 16:58   #1

Boat: Jonmeri 40
Kuala Penyu, Sabah, Borneo shipyard

Looking for anyone with experience with the Lim Yu Chin Shipyard in Kuala Penyu. Somewhere on the internet I once read something about an inexperienced travel lift operator who damaged a sailing yacht on relaunch, but the yard's management made things right. Also clues on what materials and supplies are available in Kuala Penyu, or are best secured from Labuan or Kota Kinabalu.

Many thanks,
Laura s/y ZEN
Alii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 20:22   #2

Boat: Jonmeri 40
Re: Kuala Penyu, Sabah, Borneo shipyard

Understandably I received no replies from my initial post, as this yard basically has no interest in hauling cruising yachts. I was in contact with the yard and office managers on several occasions, and they eventually told me to forget it. No employees available even to operate the lift. They are all deployed elsewhere on oil-and-gas projects.

There is a very expensive railway in Labuan but that company too has no interest in hauling cruising boats, especially if fin keel.

There are 2 small railways in Kuching but I'm not even going to waste 2 more seconds writing about them ... not for cruising yachts.

If you need to haul out in Borneo, Kudat is your only option.
Alii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Saba