Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 02:43   #1

Yacht Clubs in Panama

I remember the BALBOA YACHT CLUB back in the 1970's. It was a very cool hangout, and could see ships and yachts exiting or entering the Pacific Ocean right by the Bridge of the Americas. It's been long gone now, and it burned down a few years ago.
There was also a very neat looking Yacht club in COCO SOLO. It's been years since I've been there. Lots of yachts. I remember at the Balboa Yacht club, seeing flyers on the board for crews wanted. I always thought that was a neat way for anyone stranded in Panama to get out instead of paying airline ticket fares. Great for divorcees or jobs that didn't pan out. Lots of great beer being passed around in that place.
29palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 06:05   #2

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Yacht clubs in Panama

The Balboa YC is still around... They built a new building and currently lease it to a restaurant, which is open to the public. They still have a large mooring field just south of the "Brigde of the Americas", a fuel dock and dock to wash your boat.

The Panama YC was torn down several years ago when the Port of Panama expanded and has not been replaced.

As far as I know there are no other Yatch Clubs in Panama, but I haven't been to Bocas del Toro yet.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 11:59   #3

The coco solo Yacht Club is gone too? On the Atlantic side? That's too bad. How can there be no yacht club in such a nautical enviroment? Gimme a Balboa beer please.
Old 29-01-2013, 12:55   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

They did build Shelter Bay Marina in the old Fort Sherman, across the bay.

Because Colon is not safe to anchor anymore, most boats go there.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 17:09   #5

Re: Yacht Clubs in Panama

Very cool. Panama is still a great place for yacht people I suppose.

Tags
Panama, yacht, panama