Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2012, 17:52   #1

Being a Line Handler Through the Panama Canal

I thought I would write up my experiences looking for passage as a line handler through the Panama Canal because a lot of the information I found is out-of-date. This is current as of Oct 2012. I know there are other backpackers like myself that are willing to do this, and I think this'll be useful for boat captains as well, so here's a little info:

There used to be more marinas where you could easily find someone passing, but they have apparently been torn down (somewhat abruptly, I'm told).

On the Atlantic side is Colon. I went to Club Nautica first, which is on the east side of town. I went there twice - the first day, the guys there told me there had just been a Panameno looking for line handlers. The second day, he had never returned and they said they generally don't get a lot of boats that cross through the canal. It has a restaurant and it looks like they do some repairs there. I speak plenty of Spanish, and there was only one guy there that spoke some broken English - keep that in mind if you go looking there. From the central street where the bus drops you off, expect to pay between $1.25-$2 for a taxi to get there. It's walking distance, but most people would be more comfortable in a taxi.

I was next directed to el Autoridad Maritima, the Maritime Authority. This is very close to the main bus terminal on the west side of town - you need to walk in the direction of the canal. There are a bunch of official looking buildings behind a chain link fence (you can walk right in). The building is blue and white and has a small sign, so make sure, if you go there, that you ask for it so you don't miss it.

The people at el Autoridad Maritima were helpful in telling me they couldn't help me - they don't maintain a list or anything. They were perfectly nice. I did meet two guys that were at Shelter Bay Marina which is the other marina I was told about in Colon and appears to be THE marina for boats going through the canal. These two weren't going through, but gave me some other info. Shelter Bay Marina is pretty far out of town and will be $20-ish or more by taxi one way. The marina has a shuttle that stops at El Rey supermarket on the main street in Colon. They suggested that I could take the shuttle ($8 roundtrip, if I remember correctly) if there was room. I thought about taking the shuttle, but ultimately decided to try my luck in Panama City as they hadn't known of anyone going through the canal soon.

I've been traveling in Central America for awhile, so I am accustomed to a lot. Colon is the complete opposite of the monied parts of Panama City - very dirty, lots of visible poverty, and people are more likely to approach you (I always consider this a bad sign.). I sort of liked Colon, but I wouldn't spend more time here than you have to. If you spend the night, the cheap places are by the hour. This is not a place to take pictures, flash cash, look rich, or look friendly.

Buses are constantly running between Colon and Panama City, cost $3.15 one way, and take 1.5 - 2 hours depending on traffic. The last ones run around 9-10 pm. There is also a train that would probably be worth taking in the daytime - I think it's $20-ish one way, $35-ish roundtrip.

In Panama City, it sounds like the best place to go is Balboa Yacht Club. Out of several taxi drivers I asked, not one knew what or where it was, and two wanted to drive me down to the bay between Casco Viejo and downtown. There is a marina there, but I don't think that's the place to go to.... From Allbrook Mall, where the main bus terminal is, it should not be more than a $3 taxi ride to go to the club. FYI, there used to be a Balboa Yacht Club in the same location that burned down, and the new one was built next to the old one. Tell your taxi to go to Balboa Yacht Club in Amador and you should both be able to find it. There are two other yacht clubs further out that I didn't go to, but I never saw them mentioned for canal-goers.

Balboa Yacht Club has a bulletin board next to the bar - you'll see other people's postings for line handling, so put yours there.

If I was going to do this again and I was pressed for time, I would post something at Balboa Yacht Club in person, then email Shelter Bay and ask them to post my email.

If you are a pressed captain looking for line handlers, I would consider posting something or asking around at Luna's Castle Hostel in Casco Viejo. It's a very popular hostel and you're probably going to go to Casco Viejo at some point, which is probably on the verge of becoming a tourist trap. Careful, because some backpackers are flakes, and I suspect that it'll be a little harder to get backpackers to wake up Saturday and Sunday.

At this point, I haven't crossed the canal, but I have from now until the 4th of November to get through, so if anybody knows anybody....
traveleram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 20:22   #2
DtM

Re: Being a line handler through the Panama Canal

Great report, thank you.

Good luck with finding a ride.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 22:10   #3

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Very interesting. I would never have the guts to try that. Promise your Mother you will be careful.
Old 23-10-2012, 22:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Being a line handler through the Panama Canal

You'd do better if you went to Shelter Bay in person... Skippers prefer to chat first.. e-mails don't give enough info... not like an eyeball to eyeball..
Quite a few folk I met were operating as line handlers while I was there and getting $75 +food and board for the overnight passage..
One Belgian lady we met did several transits before disappearing into the Pacific crewing with some friends of ours heading for NZ..
A Rasta man from Chicago did much the same after his ride he was crewing on came to a halt and he needed to move on.
Another good place is the anchorage at Las Brisas on the Panama City side.. there's an internet spot out side a shop/bar? at the rear of the buildings on your right as you walk down to the crappy landing pontoon... most Skippers/crew visit there at some time of day or the other..
Good luck with the ride...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 19:25   #5

Re: Being a Line Handler Through the Panama Canal

Hi,

I have been searching for information on how to be a line handler at the Panama canal. I would love to volunteer to be a line handler on someone's boat and can be in Panama whenever it works out. I have searched for information on how to get in touch with boat captains looking for a line handler but I have not found anything recent.

Does anyone have more information?

I have read (on this website) if I go to the Shelter Bay Marina, I can post something saying I am looking to volunteer. But, since I am not in Panama, that is a bit difficult. I am considering going to Panama for a week or 10 days and hoping I can get more information by being there. But, I thought before doing that (and, particularly, before going to Panama and then having it not work out), I would post this. Looking forward to any help/information.

Thanks, David
davidgoessailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 01:00   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, David.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 05:28   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Becoming a line handler is a very informal process. Basically you hang out where the boats are, post on bulletin boards there, and hopefully meet a Skipper who is willing to take you on.

Where the boats are: Shelter Bay Marina (Atlantic), Balboa Yacht Club (Pacific). Sailors like bars, both places have bars...hang out there and start conversations, post on the board, wander the docks and chat to Skippers (only at Shelter Bay, Balboa has moorings), try to get invited to any social events, etc...basically its "networking", sailor style.

And, if you hang out there at the wrong time of year you will be wasting your time. Small boats transiting in either direction want to get across well before hurricane season. So, March - May are the prime months. If you show up July-November (Hurricane Season) you are very unlikely to find a ride (though some local small boats do transit in this time just to shift coasts)

FYI: "small boat" is basically any cruising boat.

Be sure and include any relevant experience when you post on the board.

Also, research the schedule of some of the organized cruising rallies like the ARC and Panama Posse. They descend in frenzied hordes on the canal, and if you can avoid getting trampled you might get a ride.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgoessailin View Post
Hi,

I have been searching for information on how to be a line handler at the Panama canal. I would love to volunteer to be a line handler on someone's boat and can be in Panama whenever it works out. I have searched for information on how to get in touch with boat captains looking for a line handler but I have not found anything recent.

Does anyone have more information?

I have read (on this website) if I go to the Shelter Bay Marina, I can post something saying I am looking to volunteer. But, since I am not in Panama, that is a bit difficult. I am considering going to Panama for a week or 10 days and hoping I can get more information by being there. But, I thought before doing that (and, particularly, before going to Panama and then having it not work out), I would post this. Looking forward to any help/information.

Thanks, David
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 05:40   #8

Link to pics from past transits:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5tn8ohvsk...QXeoODEaa?dl=0
Old 24-01-2022, 06:17   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Being a Line Handler Through the Panama Canal

Personally I don't get the fascination of passing through the Panama Canal.. you go through the 3 locks then tie up to a buoy for the night.. the next day its a mad dash across the lakes to the 3 that take you down to sea level again.. I found the Corinth Canal more interesting.
But I guess its part of todays thing about bucket lists..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 08:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Personally I don't get the fascination of passing through the Panama Canal.. you go through the 3 locks then tie up to a buoy for the night.. the next day its a mad dash across the lakes to the 3 that take you down to sea level again.. I found the Corinth Canal more interesting.

But I guess its part of todays thing about bucket lists.. [emoji3]
I think for many it is a bucket list thing. I have met a few "bucket listers" near the canal.

The first time thru I did find it interesting to see the 100+ year old locks still operational.

You do get to see some interesting history: "Hitler's Crane", "Camp Noriega" (the prison where Noriega spent his final years), old lighthouses/marks. And some interesting traffic/canal operations.

Ive been thru a couple of times during/since the canal expansion. It was interesting to see that massive project in work. Also, the new excavations unearthed old French and American equipment which really should be preserved...cool to see some of that emerging from the Jungle.

OP: if you transit one-way, which is typical, taking the Panama Canal Railway back is an interesting transport option. They have a few old restored passenger cars, a open/glassed sight seeing car. It just gives another perspective on the canal and follows the old historic railway route (which existed pre-canal).

For the full experience there are 2 excellent exhibits: One, the Visitor's Center at Mira Flores Locks. Two, the Panama Canal Museum in Caso Viejo.

Related pre-reading: Path Between the Seas by McCullouh, one of the most comprehesive books on the history of the Panama Canal.
Old 24-01-2022, 08:35   #11

Boat: Norseman 447

Add Vista Mar Marina and supposedly another one opened recently west of the canal on the Pacific side. But they’re both far outside the city.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 11:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
Add Vista Mar Marina and supposedly another one opened recently west of the canal on the Pacific side. But they’re both far outside the city.
Do any vessel await transit there?

Its a long way from the Canal for that.

Tags
Panama, panama