Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2023, 04:59   #1

Boat: Boatless
Yacht Broker Commission Question

Generally, a yacht broker's firm get 10% of the sale price of a boat. But what is the % of the 10% commission that the individual broker gets? In real estate I believe the listing firm and the individual broker generally split the commission, but I don't know what the split is in selling boats.

And, I believe if the buyer comes with a broker that represent him/her, the buyers broker's firm get 40% of the commission. Is that so?

Thank you for your input.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Yacht Broker Commission Question

Yacht brokers receive a yacht broker agent fee or commission after the yacht sale is completed, which is typically 10% [commissions are determined by "mutual agreement"] .

With a co-brokerage agreement [like a multiple listing service, MLS] the distribution of commission between the yacht buyer representative, and yacht owner/seller representative is usually 60/40 [buyer's 60% - seller's 40%].
However, on certain occasions, the yacht broker commission split is 50/50.” In this type of agreement, if you bring the buyer, or even ending up donating your yacht, you are still liable for the broker’s agreed commission.

With a co-central arrangement [where two brokers represent the seller], the commission is split another way. If the total commission is 10 percent of the yacht’s selling price, the broker who brings the buyer commonly gets 60 percent of that, while the two brokers representing the seller split the remaining 40 percent.

In an open listing agreement, means you give more than one broker the right to sell your boat, you maintain the right to sell your boat on your own. The down side is that no broker is guaranteed the commission, so it is highly unlikely that they will spend the time and money to sell your boat.

IDK what the typical broker - agent split is.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Yacht brokers receive a yacht broker agent fee or commission after the yacht sale is completed, which is typically 10% [commissions are determined by "mutual agreement"] .

With a co-brokerage agreement [like a multiple listing service, MLS] the distribution of commission between the yacht buyer representative, and yacht owner/seller representative is usually 60/40 [buyer's 60% - seller's 40%].
However, on certain occasions, the yacht broker commission split is 50/50.” In this type of agreement, if you bring the buyer, or even ending up donating your yacht, you are still liable for the broker’s agreed commission.

With a co-central arrangement [where two brokers represent the seller], the commission is split another way. If the total commission is 10 percent of the yacht’s selling price, the broker who brings the buyer commonly gets 60 percent of that, while the two brokers representing the seller split the remaining 40 percent.

In an open listing agreement, means you give more than one broker the right to sell your boat, you maintain the right to sell your boat on your own. The down side is that no broker is guaranteed the commission, so it is highly unlikely that they will spend the time and money to sell your boat.

IDK what the typical broker - agent split is.

Thank you very much. Your input confirms my understanding of the broker arrangements. But I am most interested in what the agency-individual selling broker split is on the commission. How much does the actual broker who sell the boat get?
Old 03-07-2023, 06:59   #4

Why? I mean honestly...... who cares what the business arrangement the broker has with their brokerage??

It's like being concerned with how much the wait staff at a restaurant has to tip out to the bar, bussers, and host stand. OR what the overhead and profit is at my local liquor store.

Unless you're looking to change professions, what does it matter?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

The broker - salesperson split varies depending on the brokage.
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Why? I mean honestly...... who cares what the business arrangement the broker has with their brokerage??

It's like being concerned with how much the wait staff at a restaurant has to tip out to the bar, bussers, and host stand. OR what the overhead and profit is at my local liquor store.

Unless you're looking to change professions, what does it matter?
I care and that is why I asked.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Clark View Post
The broker - salesperson split varies depending on the brokage.

Would 50/50 be a likely split given your experience?
Old 03-07-2023, 07:45   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Old 03-07-2023, 19:12   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Quote:
Would 50/50 be a likely split given your experience?

No, my experience would say 75 to brokage & 25 to salesperson is somewhat typical but again it varies WIDELY. That’s for a large brokerage with a lot of overhead. Our company pays 75 to salesperson.
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 20:27   #10
PJS

Boat: 2008 40' Sea Ray Sundancer

Quote:

If you care about what he makes then just bloody ask him/her (or whatever pronoun)...
Ask what car they drive and boat they own, don't worry, they do well for little work effort. - my opinion based on the numerous transactions on boat purchases.
PJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 10:05   #11

Checkout YachtX 1.5%, lists on Yachtworld
Bibicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 12:02   #12

Quote:
The question is technically Why do you care?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broker, yacht