Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2024, 11:26   #1

Boat: Dragonfly 32 Supreme
SIRIUS XM WEATHER SERVICE

We don't have radar on our boat so we can't see and monitor formation of bad localized weather (i.e. thunderstorms) that could affect us.

Any thoughts on pros/cons of Sirius XM Weather Service for access to area radar? We cruise in the Gulf of Mexico and hope to expand to the Bahamas and possibly the Western Carribean in the next couple of years. Not sure if the service expands to those areas. It's kind of pricey for US offshore coverage at around $66/month (just under $800 a year).

We have a B&G chartplotter on board that can interface with the service and one of the cons would be if you have a power failure, you would lose it (but could be same with dedicated radar). Not sure if for the subscription price, we could link it in to our backup iPad where we use Navionics.

Thanks for any feedback.
DragonflyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 12:17   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 32 Supreme
Re: SIRIUS XM WEATHER SERVICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyBob View Post

We have a B&G chartplotter on board that can interface with the service and one of the cons would be if you have a power failure, you would lose it (but could be same with dedicated radar). Not sure if for the subscription price, we could link it in to our backup iPad where we use Navionics.

Thanks for any feedback.
Actually, a network failure could take it out if used on the B&G chartplotter. Radar if installed can be separate from the network.
DragonflyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 13:13   #3

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: SIRIUS XM WEATHER SERVICE

I use charter package 37$/month, but its an old subscription and doesnt exist any more on Sirius XM. I have Raymarine RS100 receiver. Works very well for seeing squalls, gulf stream, storm tracks, grib charts. and synopsis. Check coverage. I go up and down the east coast. I dont go quite as far as bermuda or the virgins. I dont think you will find anyhitng this cheap. They also let me freeze it during off-season. For me thats November through March.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather, service