Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 10:01   #31

Re: Windward Island Hell: It’s no longer a safe place to sail.

FLEUR de Mer.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:04   #32

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Bloody ridiculous how people do not read items and they cannot digest the item before writing its called putting brain . in gear before hitting send button !!
the article is littered with Caribbean phrases and talks about many countries although venuzela is prominent in the article
I quote one sentence that the whole article is already written like !!

'There have been reports of piracy over the past 18 months near Honduras, Nicaragua, Haiti and St. Lucia'

Lets not let good journalism die with poor readers editing it
Just because a journalist writes something does not make it true

I have not heard of, or found anywhere reporting piracy attacks in St. Lucia. Please if you have specifics of "piracy attacks" in St. Lucia I would love to hear them. Stolen dinghies are not piracy attacks.

In fact I know of ZERO piracy attacks between Trinidad and St. Martin for the last 2 years (could even be 3).

However, beleive what you want to beleive. Personally I will continue cruising in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:06   #33

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ray View Post
I cruised for well over 6 months during the time of the original post and lived in Rodney Bay at anchor for 5 months, never heard of nor encountered anything like what is described, certainly nothing out of the ordinary for the entire Caribbean.

Anecdotes do not a trend make.
So OP and Washington Post are conspiracy theorists to keep you all away from the good places so all the rich people who charter can enjoy it
I live in Europe I don't know every small crime or mister meaner that goes on either HEE hee I love this thread
more more
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
You should check out the article. I read it yesterday. The only mention of the area we're talking about is: "There have been reports of piracy over the past 18 months near Honduras, Nicaragua, Haiti and St. Lucia."

As others have said, it's mostly about Venezuela. There is no mention of the Grenadines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.57425548bdd2
Peregrine1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:17   #35

Quote:

I have not heard of, or found anywhere reporting piracy attacks in St. Lucia. Please if you have specifics of "piracy attacks" in St. Lucia I would love to hear them. Stolen dinghies are not piracy attacks.

In fact I know of ZERO piracy attacks between Trinidad and St. Martin for the last 2 years (could even be 3).

However, beleive what you want to beleive. Personally I will continue cruising in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
I believe in good journalism as the Washington Post in one of the best in the world I live in Europe and I know that , and we know through many sites including Noonsite that piracy is on the rise again duw to the hurricane season last year as more poor souls become desperate , then I would believe that over your opinion that you in your small boat have not heard anything, I am trying to get to facts not speculation and hear say and gossip I really don't know so I refuse to get personnel enjoy your trip and keep safe

poste from noonsite
Caribbean

The Caribbean Islands have several Islands where overnight anchorages should be selected carefully.

Oxford English dictionary Piracy!
the practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea

Boat on water man approaches boat gets of boat has weapon , creeps around at night to rob boat = piracy
Old 14-08-2018, 10:18   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
You should check out the article. I read it yesterday. The only mention of the area we're talking about is: "There have been reports of piracy over the past 18 months near Honduras, Nicaragua, Haiti and St. Lucia."

As others have said, it's mostly about Venezuela. There is no mention of the Grenadines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.57425548bdd2
OP started in St Lucia
Old 14-08-2018, 10:34   #37

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
I believe in good journalism as the Washington Post in one of the best in the world I live in Europe and I know that , and we know through many sites including Noonsite that piracy is on the rise again duw to the hurricane season last year as more poor souls become desperate , then I would believe that over your opinion that you in your small boat have not heard anything, I am trying to get to facts not speculation and hear say and gossip I really don't know so I refuse to get personnel enjoy your trip and keep safe

poste from noonsite
Caribbean

The Caribbean Islands have several Islands where overnight anchorages should be selected carefully.

Oxford English dictionary Piracy!
the practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea

Boat on water man approaches boat gets of boat has weapon , creeps around at night to rob boat = piracy
You beleive what you want.. I have been cruising and living here for the past 3 years and have MANY friends doing the same. Right now I'm sitting in Grenada with over 20 buddy boats. At least 5 of those boats go up to the Grenadines every week (yes even in hurricane season). We are always moving up and down the island chain and keep in close contact. The cruising community here in the "EASTERN CARIBBEAN" is a tight knit group.

"poste from noonsite
Caribbean

The Caribbean Islands have several Islands where overnight anchorages should be selected carefully."

Jesus.. go look at the USA. It will say the exact same thing. I've been WAY more concerned in many anchorages in Florida than down here.

"Boat on water man approaches boat gets of boat has weapon , creeps around at night to rob boat = piracy"

While I really struggle to understand what you wrote here (guessing english is not your first language).. I'm thinking you are indicating that people with weapons have been boarding boats in the Caribbean. I'm not sure what incidents you are referring to where boats with boarded by armed men recently? Pretty much EVERY reported theft in St. Lucia was an "in water dinghy" and the main boat was never boarded. The 2 reported incidents in Salt Whistle Bay on noonesite never talk about weapons either.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:44   #38

Quote:
We very rarely pay boat boys. On rare occasions we will pay them to take our garbage.

However, we do spend time chatting with them and getting to know them. We let them know right up front we won't be using their services though. Sometimes we invite them aboard for a beer (sometimes, we just give them a cold beer to enjoy in thier boat). We get to know their names and call them by name when we see them. Generally, they are fantastic people, just out trying to earn a living.
I'm wondering if the boat boys were met like people out to provide a service and earn a living, or where they met as though they were bums. Like a wino trying to wash your windshield at a stop light.

I can imagine the latter being received very poorly. As for boardings at night....that happens in Connecticut too.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:58   #39

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

There is no doubt that St. Lucia and St. Vincent are getting worse as far as crime against cruisers goes. St. Vincent was always pretty bad but it seems to have spread to St. Lucia now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/105...-paradise.html

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news...anger-spot-905

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/recent_incidents/

https://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachti...-vincent-40565
Old 14-08-2018, 11:05   #40
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Bring
1. A spear gun for fishing. Pack separately.
2. A crossbow "for fishing". Never had a problem bringing into another country.
3. A flare gun is on every boat.
4. A cheap machete. "For cutting wood"

I have used the crossbow to warn and have put one into their boats
As a warning. No problem putting one into these animals.

These guys are cowards. If you push back they will run and look for someone else.

Eventually they are going to kill innocent sailors. Don't wish later, after someone you know gets hurts or worse, you defended yourself.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 11:19   #41

Quote:
You beleive what you want.. I have been cruising and living here for the past 3 years and have MANY friends doing the same. Right now I'm sitting in Grenada with over 20 buddy boats. At least 5 of those boats go up to the Grenadines every week (yes even in hurricane season). We are always moving up and down the island chain and keep in close contact. The cruising community here in the "EASTERN CARIBBEAN" is a tight knit group.

"poste from noonsite
Caribbean

The Caribbean Islands have several Islands where overnight anchorages should be selected carefully."

Jesus.. go look at the USA. It will say the exact same thing. I've been WAY more concerned in many anchorages in Florida than down here.

"Boat on water man approaches boat gets of boat has weapon , creeps around at night to rob boat = piracy"

While I really struggle to understand what you wrote here (guessing english is not your first language).. I'm thinking you are indicating that people with weapons have been boarding boats in the Caribbean. I'm not sure what incidents you are referring to where boats with boarded by armed men recently? Pretty much EVERY reported theft in St. Lucia was an "in water dinghy" and the main boat was never boarded. The 2 reported incidents in Salt Whistle Bay on noonesite never talk about weapons either.
Clearly your blood pressure is to high, now I was merely stating facts from sources of difference of opinions noonsite a cruiser forum and a national newspaper which has editorial values , I do not believe or disbelieve either just making the point that gossip and hear say especially through a small community like the cruising community things can be exaggerated from the truth either in a positive or negative way.
What I wrote is pretty clear take your time read it slowly you'll get it
I was making the point about weapons as a pirate comparison , but how do you know they did not have a switch blade on them I don't no either , but again tell that to the poor German gentlman who got shot by an intruder in his boat

Martin Griff was murdered by two masked gunmen when they boarded a yacht in the bay of Wallilabou in St. Vincent, Caribbean.
Read more at https://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachti...lboTQMIZtml.99
Old 14-08-2018, 11:20   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
Bring
1. A spear gun for fishing. Pack separately.
2. A crossbow "for fishing". Never had a problem bringing into another country.
3. A flare gun is on every boat.
4. A cheap machete. "For cutting wood"

I have used the crossbow to warn and have put one into their boats
As a warning. No problem putting one into these animals.

These guys are cowards. If you push back they will run and look for someone else.

Eventually they are going to kill innocent sailors. Don't wish later, after someone you know gets hurts or worse, you defended yourself.
I am 100% positive shooting a boat boy boat with a crossbow would result in a very bad situation. Many of them, not so many of you.

Call me crazy, but how about a friendly greeting, maybe share a beer, and then nobody has to get shot with a crossbow.
Peregrine1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 11:45   #43

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Difficult situation...

We sailed St. Lucia down to Petite St. Vincent, and back up to St. Lucia long eons ago when there was a moorings base in St. Lucia at lovely Marigot Bay.

Great sailing on a Peterson 44, and we had a grand time. Reefed down, heeled over and a stalk of bananas tied up to the back stay. Wow !

But that was then, ( just after we had invaded Grenada )

I also read the article about the recent piracy , which mostly seemed closer to Venesuela, and some Central America waters and St, Lucia.

I cannot disregard the O.P's , actual accounts of what they witnessed. Nor the reports of no problems by others who are cruising those waters.

We are heading back down to the BVI next year in may, and have zero trepedations but the BVI are many nautical miles from the troubled areas. And, we do have the U.S.C.G based out of the USVI.

One thing that was a problem , we witnessed when sailing St. Lucia, and the islands down to Petite St. Vincent was the poverty ashore, and the ' boat boys ' forced to make a few EC, instead of being in school, by watching the dink tied up to dock, or running an anchor out for the visiting boats.

We, once in awhile gave them , back in those days, a couple of EC ( Eastern Caribbean dollars ) to watch the dink, but we did our own anchoring, and we locked up the boat when we went ashore. We also had a complement of five or six people on board, young and strong .

No problems.

As to a fishermans story......of course , not letting you all off this easy.

We were anchored peacefully at PETITE ST. VINCENT, Erica and I were down below.

a fishing boat came along side, and Erica heard, LANGUSTA ! , well, the people up in the cockpits said NO.......Erica looked like a missile luanch out of Cape Canavaral....she blasted up the companion way ladder and was screaming, to keep the fishermen along side.

Erica is a certified Lobster whacko.......turned out we bought two huge, huge live tail wagging lobsters for a very reasonable price.

She started tearing the galley cabinets apart and found the largest pot available. Our bloody lobster would not fit in the cooking pot, so being an M.D. she did a vivisection on our monster with pliers and channel locks. I headed up topside when she dumped him into the boiling pot, I figured that sea going beast once it hit that hot boiling water would climb out of the pot and kill us all.

In those days, there were no drop off's one way from St. Lucia to Grenada, so we sailed back up to bequia ( sp), for our last stop before a spirited sail back up to St. Lucia. We, at times were making 9 kts . Hauling okole long passages. GREAT WIND ALL THE WAY FROM AFRICA.

The OP has valid point about the problems going on Veneseula, that are very factual.
And, those problems spreading in the caribbean. I do not doubt those reports.

The OP, also stated were those incidents occured to not only their vessel but other boats as well.

Probably comes down, do not make your self a victim, be polite, smile, respectful, and lock up your boat, dink and dinghy motor.

That may work, and then again, it may not.

The authorities are NOT going to do jack daniels. Maybe, cruising boats can help each other out, and band together as a force of many. Hargghhhh, the bloody fleet of roaring dinghys thundering down on the briggands, brandishiing winch handles and loaded flare guns.

Ahh, Just don't mistake them from the usual boat vendors that pull up along side to sell their produce, of fish or t - shirts. OR LOBSTERS !.

A prolonged blast on the ships whistle = I AM IN DISTRESS.

Ahrgghhhggghhhh, mates, Ye be turning the tables on them louts.

Now that would be one heck of a report.....
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 11:45   #44

Yep, it is all attitude. The people standing on the beach terrified were always mean to locals that is why they were robbed. Fleur was having bad dreams and the locals knew that and were creeping around on his boat in case he woke up and needed a hug.

C'mon guys, all the sites that track and monitor piracy and dangerous political and criminal activities have issued warnings about everything "near" Venezuela. The problem is spreading out as people with guns and boats are moving out. The inability of the locals to deal with the mess is encouraging the bad behaviors and creating an open season. Cruise ships are rerouting after the apparent kidnapping of a young woman from a ship into the local sex trade near Trinidad.

Between hurricane destruction and Venezuela there are a lot of changes from people starving and desperate. We had two people kidnapped, the perps wanted $500 for their safe return. 500 bucks. it cost more to get the money delivered.

Its amateur hour out there.

We do a lot of business in that part of the world and things are not the same.

Six months ago is not one month ago...our handlers for that part of the world are ratcheting up the DEFCON.

I, for one, appreciate the first hand report.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 12:13   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It’s been years since I was in St Vincent repairing their one and only crop duster, but I can tell you for sure, unless things have changed, St Vincent is not a place I will visit. You need to be careful there.
I spent a lot of time on St. Vincent, with a boat based there from 2005-2013 - and found some of the friendliest people - and never a threat or theft on the main island or any of the Grenadines, including when anchored in some remote and out-of-the-way places --- except in the drug-business headquarters of Chateaubelair......though, haven't been back lately, so can't comment on current state of affairs.

In all those years, we had a couple of thefts (besides Chateaubelair, also in Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou and Soufriere, St. Lucia) - but all were the during the first couple of years, before learning to be a bit more careful about locking up, who to invite aboard and when, and what to leave where visible. And re: Soufriere (Pitons) - that is also where we found some of the most friendly and helpful boat boys AND officials (in particular the head range of the SMMA marine park).
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, wind