Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 18:34   #61

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Windward Island Hell: Itís no longer a safe place to sail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcapital View Post
I spent a lot of time on St. Vincent, --- except in the drug-business headquarters of Chateaubelair......though, haven't been back lately, so can't comment on current state of affairs.
I wish I knew about chateaubelair... I made the mistake of clearing in there. Not sure why it's a port of entry.

It took them a whole hour to clear me in, including asking me how fast the boat travels in different winds. then the officer decided to give me just 1 week instead of the normal 30 days. In bequia they refused to extend it

When I walked down the road, there was a "big momma" beating her kids right on the road!

St lucia is definately a miss for me. The biggest criminal there is the american who runs the rodney bay yacht club. After I rescued his laser pico sailboat that had been abandoned and was drifting a few miles offshore, breaking my air vane and vhf antenna in the process. The coast guard came and took the boat, then proceed to search my boat and steal from me. Then they went to get the reward, and the american in the yacht club refused to give me anything since he already made insurance claim and had a new boat on the way.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 20:00   #62

Everyone brings some happiness to this forum, Some by joining and some by leaving.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 03:38   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCantor View Post
This is complete crap. We have cruised the windwards for 10 years, and have always had a very positive experience. If you are having problems with "boat boys," maybe its because you don't see them as "marine professionals." These guys work very hard, and the vast majority will give you exactly as much respect as you give them.

We have established very warm relationships with many, many of these folks. It just take a little empathy.
Indeed!
About "Waterfront Service Providers" (boat boys):
From 2011 ➥ ‚ÄėBoat Boys‚Äô On St Lucia Study Tour : Discover St Vincent And The Grenadines

See also ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-195093.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 06:56   #64

Boat: Catalina 30

If I recall, last time the wife and I took a cruise the daily 'paper' on the day we stopped at Granada said to not take anything of value (Jewelry, watches, wallets, etc.) if going ashore. We took an excursion to the hiils and the folks were the nicest you could ask for. In town was a totally different story, they looked (and acted) like they would kill you for a cigarette.

In St. Lucia I used a public restroom and a local came up and demanded a 'fee' for its use.

I guess a lot depends on where you go on the islands you visit and the luck you have in who you meet.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 02:30   #65

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I have lived in Grenada 11 years, we also work here. Yes I know of some areas that we wonít go, generally st Vincent, especially wallilabu bay. (Spelling ?)..St vincent and then the grenadines we have never had trouble. Can you be more specific about the bays you had problems in.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 19:44   #66

I in no way challenge the veracity of the OP. However, I'm curious if security issues and crime are indeed so bad....WHY are there charter companies still operating in St. Vincent and St. Lucia??

Also, isn't St Lucia the destination of the ARC?

I plan on sailing somewhere in the Windwards in October.....should we indeed avoid St Lucia and St Vincent altogether?

Based on what I've read in this thread, I'm inclined to charter in Martinique or Grenada.
Old 17-08-2018, 19:59   #67
IRG

Boat: Molenmaker, Custom ketch, 97'

I am very sad that a paranoid and inflammatory OP is stopping people from visiting the beautiful and glorious St. Lucia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I in no way challenge the veracity of the OP. However, I'm curious if security issues and crime are indeed so bad....WHY are there charter companies still operating in St. Vincent and St. Lucia??

Also, isn't St Lucia the destination of the ARC?

I plan on sailing somewhere in the Windwards in October.....should we indeed avoid St Lucia and St Vincent altogether?

Based on what I've read in this thread, I'm inclined to charter in Martinique or Grenada.
IRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 18:19   #68

Well, in spite of all the horror stories and warnings....we're gonna go to St Lucia in October and sail south.

The only part of our itinerary that concerns me is the planned stop in St Vincent on the sail back to Rodney Bay.

I will be more than happy to write up our experiences and post it here if we're not murdered.

Cheers!
Old 12-07-2019, 18:29   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I went to St Vincent years ago to do a fuselage repair to the crop duster there, so I was shown around by someone who lived there etc.
I wonít go there on my boat, if you have security on your mind and donít set yourself up as a victim Iím sure you will be OK, just donít wander around in the middle of the night drunk.
If you know security is an issue then Iím sure you fine, I assume itís those that donít know that get into trouble
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 18:55   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I wonít go there on my boat, if you have security on your mind and donít set yourself up as a victim
Evidently A LOT of sailors give St Vincent a pass for security and safety issues. I certainly don't blame them or you for not wanting to go there.

Right now we're just gonna stick with the itinerary unless we're convinced to do otherwise once we're there. Famous last words.
Old 13-07-2019, 01:22   #71

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Gave it a pass on a delivery a few years ago...plenty of other Islands to visit.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 02:12   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Unless your boat is slow, skipping both St Lucia and St Vincent is easy planning as an overnight passage. There are a couple National Park tiny harbors along the St Lucia lee side that we have used for non-entry overnight parking. Most have moorings, some can be anchored. You will be met by a boat boy and may be approached by park rangers for the fee. Stay away from populous areas. I would not leave the boat. Go to Noonsite and read up on security issues. We do not go ashore or check in on these two islands. Bequai is the cruiser preferred safe harbor.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 04:39   #73

Boat: Hylas 49

We chartered a boat in Martinique and sailed to Rodney Bay then south to Wallibou St Vincent. We bought some trinkets and fruit from the boat boys but did not feel pressured to do so. In Rodney they warned you to use a chain, not a cable, to secure your dinghy. Never felt unsafe.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 09:09   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Outboard motor bracket lock.
Lock the chain to the outboard and bracket.
Chain through the gas can handle.
Chain through a fixed pad on the dinghy
Lock the chain to the dock.
Don’t leave it ashore late after dark

Chain - galvanized high strength steel and largest links you can deal with. Make it difficult to cut or grind. SS is pretty but the metal is soft. Use hose or other anti chafe where the chain might rub on the dinghy.

Locks - all SS with no bronze or plated interior parts. Oil weekly. When it gets hard to operate after several months, soak it in tile grout cleaner or diluted muriatic. RINSE. Put your key on a floater. This secures everything but the hose and they have been stolen.

At night, pull the dinghy out and high and lock it to the boat. This lessens theft and it will keep the bottom clean.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 08:42   #75

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

I guess less people will choose that destination....good for me!
Won’t stop me from going.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, wind