Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 11:18   #46

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Why Would you Blackout the America's Cup Live Streaming in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
While I'm glad that NBC has been carrying the event, credit to the camerawork, the graphics, and that entire infrastructure must go to Ellison and the production team he put together -- in particular Stan Honey. NBC is just picking up the feed, and I believe providing some of the commentators.
Paul, you haven't been paying attention. Ellison has done NOTHING good for this sport. He has just turned it into a rich person's commercialized drag race on a go-cart course for American NASCAR fans. He has completely ruined the entire intent and history of the America's Cup. And the whole thing is dangerous. And he cheats. And his name is Larry Ellison. Did I mention catamarans and Ellison? That too.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 11:58   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Paul, you haven't been paying attention. Ellison has done NOTHING good for this sport. He has just turned it into a rich person's commercialized drag race on a go-cart course for American NASCAR fans. He has completely ruined the entire intent and history of the America's Cup. And the whole thing is dangerous. And he cheats. And his name is Larry Ellison. Did I mention catamarans and Ellison? That too.

Mark
And I think Larry is bribing Dean Barker to throw the race. He's the Devil incarnate, I tell you!

Watch the wind conditions on rhe Golden Gate Bridge here: SailFlow - Golden Gate Base - Wind Conditions & Forecast

It doesn't look good, but the wind is supposed to swing around soon.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 14:20   #48

AC72s are simply amazing. Teams love them, performances are unreal and the races so far have been unlike anything we've seen before. For those of you crying for the old mono-hulls, times change. That's like asking Formula 1 to drive 4-door sedans just because the average person associates themselves with it...Larry is a competitor and as such plays to win. Stop envying the guy for being successful and rich and enjoy the show!
de0xyrib0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 14:44   #49

Boat: Manta 42
DeOxyribOse, thank you! Rich
bahamarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 15:04   #50

The Good News: YouTube is carrying live streaming without commercials.
The Bad News: It's blacked out in the US
The Good News: You can stream it via a proxy server from another country.

The easiest way to do that is to use Firefox with the Hola unblocker plug-in (Hola is also available for Windows Internet Explorer, Android, Chrome and other browsers) it's also free.

Hola puts a little flamming smiley in your toolbar. Open the AC feed on YouTube, if it shows 'blocked' just click the Hola smiley and choose another country to proxy from. Bada Boom, Badda Bing ... AC racing on your monitor sans cable fees. You gotta love hackers.
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 15:18   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RonB View Post
The Good News: YouTube is carrying live streaming without commercials.
The Bad News: It's blacked out in the US
The Good News: You can stream it via a proxy server from another country.

The easiest way to do that is to use Firefox with the Hola unblocker plug-in (Hola is also available for Windows Internet Explorer, Android, Chrome and other browsers) it's also free.

Hola puts a little flamming smiley in your toolbar. Open the AC feed on YouTube, if it shows 'blocked' just click the Hola smiley and choose another country to proxy from. Bada Boom, Badda Bing ... AC racing on your monitor sans cable fees. You gotta love hackers.
I've found that sometimes the Hola unblocker doesn't work. In that case I try another Hola server, or just retry with the same server. This should be pretty obvious if you're running Hola -- just don't give up it it doesn't work the first time.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 15:41   #52

Boat: Manta 42
One more time, we have watched every race on NBC Sports Network here in Jacksonville, Florida. The US is not blacked-out. Rich
bahamarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 16:03   #53

Same here in Chicago. Comcast channel 174 here (in HD) which in NBC's sports channel. But if you scroll through the guide, you might not see it because they thought the series would be over by now so they scheduled other stuff and listed it in the guide. So you have to find what channel NBC Sports is on to see if it's on in your area.
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 17:27   #54

I've been dual screening my viewing with NBCSN and America, the virtual view they're using on TV.

Virtual Eye is usually 8 seconds ahead, so you can get an advanced view of the broadcast. There is also an option for an audio feed, but haven't bothered.

Looking forward 3 more races, if possible.
KhakiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 18:07   #55

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
I have dish without the channel as well so downloaded the app from America's cup website and watched today's race live. It worked fine. Not the most exciting race today though.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote