Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2018, 00:00   #31

Boat: Hanse 531
Re: Why don't charter boats sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
People on charters are simply in a hurry to get from place to place and arriving at predetermined destinations in a timely manner; this is their priority with limited time. Sailing is a secondary concern.
That's true! With the enormous experience of TWO whole charters in my lifetime I agree: the first time we "had" to get from Finland to Estonia in one day before evening, and the second time we really really wanted to reach the Exuma "pig island" to see the pigs.

This next time, though, in a few days, we agreed that we won't have any places we "have to" reach, but just hoist the sails and see where we end up.

Except for the first and last days, of course, when we actually need to get somewhere before a certain time... and of course this also determines when we have to start our journey back... and suddenly a large part of our "just relaxed sailing" week has surprisingly much "have to" in it.
Old 23-12-2018, 01:17   #32

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I guess, they get a map from the charter company with must see sites for a round trip, than they run the engines to reach every marina and fancy restaurant and bar on the tour guide.
Old 23-12-2018, 03:26   #33

Boat: GibSea 352

One further reason. Experienced skipper gets asked to take inexperienced people along and he thinks he'll introduce them to the joys of sailing, so organises the whole trip.
Then the crew get bored, or they get frighted.
DavidMRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 04:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMRea View Post
One further reason. Experienced skipper gets asked to take inexperienced people along and he thinks he'll introduce them to the joys of sailing, so organises the whole trip.
Then the crew get bored, or they get frighted.
Well, experienced skipper ask upfront their clients what they are up to and what skills they have, latest at the safety on sea instructions he has an idea about the crowd.
Old 23-12-2018, 05:37   #35
cruiser

Our primary concern when moving along between coastline anchorages, is arriving before it gets too dark. Speed is adjusted accordingly, it’s a safety issue and we always try to minimize risk.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 06:06   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Our primary concern when moving along between coastline anchorages, is arriving before it gets too dark. Speed is adjusted accordingly, it’s a safety issue and we always try to minimize risk.
Time is truly one aspect, and that applies to all yachts that have a port destination in mind. As for charter yachts, it's quite astonishing the number of people who have never stepped foot on a boat, let alone on a boat that rises and falls in waves and swells.

I can imagine that many couples that book charter time are looking for some "island-ing", some "coconut palm tree-ing", some anchored "drinking", and some "looking down" at tropical fish. Some might actually wish to swim. Maybe even scuba dive.

People with a desire to sail go "sailing", while those who wish to vacation go "chartering". Of course, there are some who are a mixture of both. For those who just want a unique week vacation in the tropics, I would guess that it doesn't matter too much if the sails ever go up.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 06:19   #37

I've been following the 2018 World ARC rally, with the fleet presently in South Africa, but am surprised by the amount of motoring these folks have done. These are not charters but experienced sailors taking a year to "sail" around the world!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 09:12   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
Not sailing leaves more time for Day Drinkin...

You can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning. 🥴
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 09:17   #39

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
You can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning. 🥴
OTOH it's hard to drink all day IF you start in the morning
Old 23-12-2018, 13:26   #40

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
OTOH it's hard to drink all day IF you start in the morning
Pffft...thats no attitude for a sailor!! [emoji482]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 13:47   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I can imagine that many couples that book charter time are looking for some "island-ing", some "coconut palm tree-ing", some anchored "drinking", and some "looking down" at tropical fish. Some might actually wish to swim. Maybe even scuba dive.

We've booked a monohull with two other couples (sailing friends for the last 11 years) for 8 days in Feb, in the BVIs. We're doing it for the boating/sailing. You can book a week at a decent resort for a lot less than what the charter is costing (even with some good discounts), if island time is mainly what you want. Yes we also plan on a lot of snorkelling and some ashore time... but there will be MUCH sailing done or we'll be disappointed.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 14:31   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
We've booked a monohull with two other couples (sailing friends for the last 11 years) for 8 days in Feb, in the BVIs. We're doing it for the boating/sailing. You can book a week at a decent resort for a lot less than what the charter is costing (even with some good discounts), if island time is mainly what you want. Yes we also plan on a lot of snorkelling and some ashore time... but there will be MUCH sailing done or we'll be disappointed.
Which supports what I stated above: "Of course, there are some who are a mixture of both. For those who just want a unique week vacation in the tropics, I would guess that it doesn't matter too much if the sails ever go up."

Toronto. Hmmmm. It gets cold there. It's nice to go to where it's warm and hopefully sunny for a winter vacation. I should know. I'm originally from Maine. My first time sailing in the Bahamas was in January 1969 (I was 8). There was no real "chartering" biz back then. Not like today, anyway. Thus, real sailing. Times change. Anyway, many of the "charterers" are snowbirds, which makes sense.

If you live in Florida, you probably "buy" a sailboat. That is, unless you're not a sailor and your goal is to convince your blonde-haired Ft Lauderdale Starbucks-employee girlfriend to quit her job and try to be a YouTube GoPro home-movie star.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 19:00   #43

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokel View Post
[...] in close quarters I just use the self-furling jib.

I always wanted one of those!

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 01:44   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Pffft...thats no attitude for a sailor!! [emoji482]
Dehydration can be a serious thread at sea... [emoji3]
Old 28-12-2018, 09:05   #45

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Interesting....I never thought about it. We used to be sailors our last sailboat was a BR 44 Ketch. When we chartered we always sailed, never gave the engine a thought except for in/out of port. Usually we were in a hurry to get the sails up on the way out to see if we could make the entrance buoy before the other guy that was hurrying to get his sails up. Had a non sailor passenger once ask, "How does he know we are racing?" My reply, "He is on a sailboat, he knows!". Usually had the rail in the water as early as possible,

Now I am a Trawler. At 82, neither my wife nor I can do foredeck duty . Sad ,but thats the way with life. I actually am tearing up as I write this. I miss it........Some day I will die. I hope there are sailboats in heaven and both of us can do foredeck duty together.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, charter, sail