Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2018, 09:28   #46

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV
Re: Why don't charter boats sail?

I remember chartering a cat with a captain once and we went 'sailing'. We had been out 2 hours or so, loving it, when the cap turned the motors on. It was very light 5-7 knots and he said it would take 4 more hours to get where we were going to anchor.
I asked why the motors, and he said "if we motorsail we can be there and be anchored 2". I looked at him and said, "we came to sail, not to anchor". I thought he might be pissed, but he wasn't. He switched off the motors and we sailed another 4 hours. Over the course of the next 10 days, we had great sailing and fantastic excursions. He loved us because we actually liked to sail, and didn't have our phones, drones, gopros out every ten seconds. I did learn though most people that charter treat the boat like an RV. They do not want to spend any more time traveling in it than they have to. They want to park, and get out. It's just a mobile home, literally, to them. Sad that they miss out on what we think is at least 50% of the fun.
DockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:42   #47

Boat: Shannon 52 RDP

I can't speak for everywhere, but at least on the Sea of Abaco, which is fairly narrow, and most times that I have been there aligned with the wind, the charter cats just don't have the performance to sail there very well. Most have undersized headsails, or worn sails, which make getting to windward a slow affair, punctuated with a lot of tacks. It's a lot of effort for little distance. Not what most people want out of their sailing holiday. After all, you don't want to be late for happy hour at Nippers.

Going the opposite way, the typical swept spreader arrangement, and smallish headsail with no pole make for an extremely inefficient and slow rig going directly downwind. You can jibe down wind of course but then you are adding a lot of work to your holiday, and still not getting to your destination very efficiently.

I love the Abaco's, and prefer to sail than motor. But I have to confess the times I have chartered large cats in the Abaco's, I've found myself motoring as much or more than sailing.
R Hutcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 23:42   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
We are fortunate enough to have a waterfront home in Abaco. Everyday we watch the numerous charter boats pass by. Less than 10% of the large cats are ever sailing! A slightly higher percentage of the mono hulls do sail, but often just with the roller furling jib. Wind direction does not seem to factor in as just as many motor downwind as up wind. I cannot figure out why these people would charter a sailboat and not sail. I get my jollies sailing circles around the big cats in our Hobie as they motor along!
A friend of mine payed thousands of dollars to go on a Sailing Expedition from New York to Annapolis. I looked up the sailing companies web site and it had pages talking about all the deep sea sailing techniques they would teach you on their trips. My friend posted pictures on face book as they were traveling on the water each day. I don't think I saw a single picture any day with the sails up. I posted on Facebook how come the sails are not up and he responded the winds were light and they would not make it on time to the scheduled port. I do not understand the purpose of the trip. All I can say it's a strange world.
mariopoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 05:35   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Why don't charter boats sail?

A reason you see so many Cats motoring, more than most monoís is that the majority of the Charter Fleet is Cats, Cats are popular and are Iím sure the first to sell out, likely the monoís Charter only after all the Cats are gone.

Then as has been stated, most charters are on a schedule, they donít have time to waste sailing, they have been planning this trip for months while sitting in that snowing office building in Toronto, this is a big expenditure, and they are going to hit all the sites they planned.
This vacation isnít about sailing, itís about being in the Bahamas and going places and making memories, you can sail anywhere.

Then add in the fact that most cruisers that have money concerns are usually in less expensive boats, that usually means older Monoís, and they will often sail to save fuel.
Myself I will often motor sail to charge batteries / make water in the morning when we are moving, then often the wind builds during the day and we can sail and Solar polish off the batteries.

Especially downwind I get most of my boost from the 135 Genoa, the main is more of a pain with having to rig a preventer etc. and I donít get much from it, unfurling the Genoa is much less work and often I wonít bother with the main, especially in the Bahamas where the next anchorage is only a half day away anyway.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 17:32   #50

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

The last time we chartered was in the BVI's a few years ago. 75% of the charter boats were motoring. I never understood why, the wind was 15-25 knots the entire 2 weeks we were there.

We were able to sail faster then we could motor.

Some of the boats that were sailing obviously did not have much experience.
We passed many on our sail back from Anegada that were struggling to reef, or drop the main, or furl the head sail, or raise any sail.
We really had know idea what some of them were even trying to do as we sailed pass.

Most were lucky if they could even catch a mooring ball.
It was later that I heard the term "credit card captains"

It was only our second time chartering and 5 out of the 8 of us had never sailed before. Most of our experience had been on a 25 foot sailboat on small inland lakes.

We will be heading to the Abaco in May. Hopefully you will at least see one chartered catamaran sailing!!!
sjrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 18:38   #51

From what I've seen, many charter boats just don't perform under sail.

They seem to have undersize rigs, and cheap, poorly cut dacron sails, usually stretched to buggery.

It's no wonder the people who charter them resort to motoring.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 19:33   #52

Question Name and Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariopoli View Post
A friend of mine payed thousands of dollars to go on a Sailing Expedition from New York to Annapolis. I looked up the sailing companies web site and it had pages talking about all the deep sea sailing techniques they would teach you on their trips. My friend posted pictures on face book as they were traveling on the water each day. I don't think I saw a single picture any day with the sails up. I posted on Facebook how come the sails are not up and he responded the winds were light and they would not make it on time to the scheduled port. I do not understand the purpose of the trip. All I can say it's a strange world.
What company was that?
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:47   #53

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Lots of reasons. Sailing vessels are cheaper to charter & run than power. All of the above. Why someone cares if others sail is beyond me. Maybe they just like motoring. Lazy? Maybe. Took a group out in the BVI once. Wind was perfect. Raised the sails. Scared the hell out of them. They didn't like heeling. Motored the rest of the time.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:53   #54

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

I have chartered many times, cats a few times and a large cat once. Getting the main up was painful and I would only do it once a day. I am usually the only sailor on board. In the BVIís the distances are so short there are times it seems to make sense to use the run to charge the batteries.
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 13:03   #55
Marine Service Provider

You answered your own question. I have been sailing and racing for nearly fifty years, own a 41' racing monohull and half-owned a Moorings 4700 sailing cat in French Polynesia. When I go on vacation I don't want to do all that crap you apparently think is fun while ridiculing others who can't perform up to your standard.

Race with me and you will experience all the flat-out, bust-ass sailing you can stand. But go cruising with me an you will experience all the flat-out, bust-ass cruising, site-seeing and partying you can stand. That's why I bought a 47' power cat for the BVI and the Caribbean.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 13:24   #56
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

with one of my charters in the keys they used plastic cable ties to secure the mainsail to the slides. yes .. they did not hold very well.
Old 28-02-2019, 10:37   #57

FOR THE RECORD - we just got back from 8 days in the BVIs, and we sailed the pants off of a newer 41' monohull.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 21:41   #58
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

We just got back to Nassau from a three week trip to the Exumas and Long Island. I have to say, the OP is right. There are a ton of catamarans that just don't sail, regardless of how great the conditions are. The last three days of our trip were probably the best sailing days I can remember. 20 to 27 knots apparent for the first two days at 100 degrees, and the third was 12 knots at 120 for a great spinnaker run. What a great time sailing in near flat water.

But many (not all) catamarans were motoring or motor sailing. It wasn't all cats, there were a lot of mono's also motor sailing, but the cats really stuck out to me. I think they don't know how to reef. I'm only posting this as my first response was pissy due to the perceived cat bashing, but he's right.
Old 17-03-2019, 00:30   #59

So is the implication, they are somehow inferior for enjoying their vacation the way they want to enjoy it?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 02:27   #60

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So is the implication, they are somehow inferior for enjoying their vacation the way they want to enjoy it?
No, not at all! (In my opinion.)

The implication, as I see it, is that some might be missing out on a lot because they are too inexperienced or unskilled to dare to try. The ones who know how to do it but just don't like to sail, or prefer motoring for other reasons, good for them

Tags
boat, charter, sail