Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2019, 02:32   #61

Re: Why don't charter boats sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
No, not at all! (In my opinion.)

The implication, as I see it, is that some might be missing out on a lot because they are too inexperienced or unskilled to dare to try. The ones who know how to do it but just don't like to sail, or prefer motoring for other reasons, good for them
So if there was a skydiving place next to your next vacation destination, I should think less of you if you don't go sky diving because you might be missing out on it because you are too inexperienced or unskilled to dare to try?

Or could it be you are just projecting on them what you think their vacation should be and they don't care what you think it should be.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 02:44   #62

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So if there was a skydiving place next to your next vacation destination, I should think less of you if you don't go sky diving because you might be missing out on it because you are too inexperienced or unskilled to dare to try?

Or could it be you are just projecting on them what you think their vacation should be and they don't care what you think it should be.
Well ...

If I'm "going skydiving" but end up sitting at the hotel next to the skydiving place just looking at people skydiving, I don't see the harm in thinking I might have missed out not actually trying it myself.

I didn't say "think less" about anyone. I don't think less (in any way or form) about people not sailing with chartered sailboats. We've done a lot of that too!

About the projections. I'm sure they don't care what I think their vacation should be like. I'm equally sure that there is nothing wrong in encouraging people to boldly go where they haven't gone before. I wouldn't mind, at least.

So, just exchanging opinions without looking up or down at other people while doing so.
Old 17-03-2019, 02:46   #63

Quote:
Well ...

If I'm "going skydiving" but end up sitting at the hotel next to the skydiving place just looking at people skydiving, I don't see the harm in thinking I might have missed out not actually trying it myself.
Who said you were "going skydiving"...you just found a deal on a place associated with skydiving and everything else met your vacation wants.
Old 17-03-2019, 02:46   #64

Boat: 29 ft

Whoever has a fixed and scheduled passage plan will be tempted to motor a lot to stick to the plan.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 02:49   #65

Boat: 29 ft

Whoever has a fixed and scheduled passage plan will be tempted to motor a lot to stick to the plan.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 03:00   #66

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Who said you were "going skydiving"...you just found a deal on a place associated with skydiving and everything else met your vacation wants.
Ok, in that case I'm obviously not going skydiving! It's just crazy stuff. But it is fun to look at other people doing it while drinking my morning coffee and having tasty croissants.
Old 17-03-2019, 04:55   #67

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I think, the charter companies scared the sh** out of their clients with warnings about capsizing an breaking masts and sails, ot swiping the crew over board by the boom on a accidential gybe if not reefed conservatively and not using a boom preventer, so they simply do not try to sail in SUCH STRONG WINDS above 8kn...

[emoji39]
Old 17-03-2019, 05:01   #68

Quote:
Ok, in that case I'm obviously not going skydiving! It's just crazy stuff. But it is fun to look at other people doing it while drinking my morning coffee and having tasty croissants.
Finally, we are on the same page.....Replace skydiving with sailing in your comment.
Old 17-03-2019, 06:46   #69

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I miss the croissants and the baguettes...
Should sail to France again!
Old 17-03-2019, 07:38   #70

A month ago, we were just starting an 8 day charter in the BVIs - 3 couples on a 41' mono - but we are all pretty enthusiastic sailors, spouses included...we sailed! Big fun.

We observed that there were some groups who underestimated the demands and/or overestimated their own abilities. One of the boats in our group found everything a bit much - they motored a lot and came in a day early. Another boat had one sailor with experience and they also brought a skipper. In their case the destinations were more important; they sailed when possible but also motored to have more time at the destination.

And cats... speaking personally now... they're floating cottages/condos. Which is ok, for those that want that. And we saw that in skilled hands they could provide an exciting sail. But I can readily imagine how much of a handfull they could be to a charterer only used to a smaller monohull. And if you don't have a cat-full of enthusiastic sailors... you'll motor.

To each their own. And since the majority of charter-boats we saw were cats, their popularity is undeniable.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 08:41   #71

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Maybe a good percentage of them are actually power boaters who just want to "look cool".

Sun Tzu
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 09:02   #72

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Maybe a good percentage of them are actually power boaters who just want to "look cool".

Sail envy, that's a new one but maybe.

I think it's just novices kinda freaked out by the pretty good winds and decide to motor and have fun. Ain't nuttin wrong with that.
Old 20-03-2019, 08:26   #73

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

My answer to the OP is this. Sailing is work, or rather it's work to straighten up afterwords, but it's fun to have the option to hoist the sails if you really wanted to.

I also think (and I have no evidence at all to back this up) there are far fewer powerboat charters available than sailboat charters which can double as a power boat anyway.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, charter, sail