Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 11:34   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Which countries in carribean and azores, canaries are guns ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
Our constitutional right to bear arms extends beyond our borders to around 75% of the worlds surface ... on US flagged vessels anyway. You may legally carry arms on a US flagged vessel in international waters.
This is true, but largely irrelevant. You can do pretty much whatever the 'ell you want in international waters, regardless of nationality. But that’s not where most cruiser spend their time. We are in national waters of various countries.

The only country I’m aware of that has a constitutional right to bear arms is the USA. Outside of there you are subject to national laws, which in most cases are far more restrictive around guns.

It’s certainly possible to travel with guns, but it will subject you to a lot more bureaucratic hurdles and scrutiny. In some place, you will be denied entry (or your guns will).
Old 06-02-2019, 11:47   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which countries in carribean and azores, canaries are guns ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
You need a bigger dinghy
and a lot more anchor chain and rode..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is true, but largely irrelevant. You can do pretty much whatever the 'ell you want in international waters, regardless of nationality. But that’s not where most cruiser spend their time. We are in national waters of various countries.

The only country I’m aware of that has a constitutional right to bear arms is the USA. Outside of there you are subject to national laws, which in most cases are far more restrictive around guns.

It’s certainly possible to travel with guns, but it will subject you to a lot more bureaucratic hurdles and scrutiny. In some place, you will be denied entry (or your guns will).
/agree. I think the majority consensus is that even if you are familiar with the laws, the hassle factor is typically so bad that it's not worth it. For instance, requiring you to stow your weapons at the port of entry and not allowing transfers to your port of exit.

I think the list of countries in the Americas that allows private gun ownership for protection is: Argentina, Brazil, Honduras, Mexico and the US.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:04   #19
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And the laws for locals are rarely applicable to visitors.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:08   #20

Quote:
/agree. I think the majority consensus is that even if you are familiar with the laws, the hassle factor is typically so bad that it's not worth it. For instance, requiring you to stow your weapons at the port of entry and not allowing transfers to your port of exit.

I think the list of countries in the Americas that allows private gun ownership for protection is: Argentina, Brazil, Honduras, Mexico and the US.
Agreed.

Canada is pretty friendly towards guns as well (despite our reputation). Just (mostly) not handguns or semi automatics. You can bring non-restricted or non-prohibited guns into Canada without too much trouble. Lots of information available on how to do it legally.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:23   #21

The OP wasn't asking about floating around on the ocean. He asked what COUNTRIES he can brings weapons into.

If he/she want's to stay in international waters then fine and never make port, away they go.

Quote:
Our constitutional right to bear arms extends beyond our borders to around 75% of the worlds surface ... on US flagged vessels anyway. You may legally carry arms on a US flagged vessel in international waters.

However, you must adhere to the following:

See: https://www.ice.gov/cpi/faq
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 13:50   #22

Boat: Lagoon 42

Carib I dont know
Azores / Canaries (basically europe) you can arrive with guns & ammo that you have a permit for and the needed export paperwork from the USA , and said firearms should also be legal for pvt persons (ie semi automatic assault weapons are not allowed under any circumstances, permit or not)

Upon arrival they will most likely taken off board and held at the customs , to be picked up again at the same customs location , when you leave the country. (Might be against prevailing wind/waves/currents to go back to that first location)

On board gun safes are most likely not accepted as they are not bolted down sufficiently to prevent theft (ie the boat with guns on board can be stolen)

So you can bring guns into european countries , and get them back when you leave , and go through that process in every country you arrive each and every time. Some might allow you to keep them on board , most wont.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:00   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
None.. Period..!!!
Stay in the US of A.. Please.
Second that motion
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:03   #24

Boat: Boatless

Widmn,

My wife carried and declared guns in at least 5 Caribbean countries without problems or excessive paperwork. Some hold the guns until your departure and some don't.

The absolute 'no guns' jurisdiction is Mexico where attempting to declare them can get you arrested.

One close friend was in a shoot-out in Panama and the local cops did their best to pretend it never happened. However, generally defending yourself will get you arrested unless you depart quickly for a US jurisdiction.

Far more US boats carry guns than you would imagine and that fact is never discussed at happy hour!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
…Far more US boats carry guns than you would imagine and that fact is never discussed at happy hour!
Honestly curious: how do you know this? Through private conversations? Other data?

This is actually a pretty serious claim, which if true, would give national authorities outside of the USA a good reason to scrutinize American cruisers far more tightly than others.

ADD: On further reflection this seems like a very serious statement to me Moon. You appear to be suggesting people disregard, and try and circumvent, the laws of foreign lands.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:23   #26

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Honestly curious: how do you know this? Through private conversations? Other data?

This is actually a pretty serious claim, which if true, would give national authorities outside of the USA a good reason to scrutinize American cruisers far more tightly than others.

ADD: On further reflection this seems like a very serious statement to me Moon. You appear to be suggesting people disregard, and try and circumvent, the laws of foreign lands.
Reading between the lines (and sometimes not even between: See Sailing Zatara where, after the fact, they admit to carrying guns from Florida to Australia) I get this impression as well. The "constitutional" right thing in Americans seem to be more ingrained than most outsiders can appreciate. It seems more like the way I feel about speed limits...technically illegal but... is it really?
Old 07-02-2019, 12:34   #27
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:

Is this really a sincere post, or a joke?

You honestly think Americans overseas are statistically be more law-abiding than the average citizen back home?

I have lived 8% of my adult life as an expat, and in my experience that is not the case, lots and lots of scofflaws in both contexts, but I think those less rooted in a local community are less likely to be law abiding.

On fact many are overseas **because** of legal troubles somewhere in their past.

I came across many such living very happily in bed colluding with local corrupt police / military / mafia types, drugs, gambling, prostitution, and yes dealing in illegal arms.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 13:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Reading between the lines (and sometimes not even between: See Sailing Zatara where, after the fact, they admit to carrying guns from Florida to Australia) I get this impression as well. The "constitutional" right thing in Americans seem to be more ingrained than most outsiders can appreciate. It seems more like the way I feel about speed limits...technically illegal but... is it really?
I have no doubt it is ingrained, but I would have thought a higher awareness would be around the basic concept of “When in Rome, do as the Romans.” My ingrained view on cannabis use, for example, is different than in the USA and most other countries. But I would respect the laws of the land I visit.

I am honestly surprised to hear that a large percentage of American boats visiting foreign lands carry illegal weapons. If this really were the case (and maybe it is), then I would expect this fact to become known to foreign customs officials fairly rapidly, and would necessitate a higher level of scrutiny on American boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Is this really a sincere post, or a joke?

You honestly think Americans overseas are statistically be more law-abiding than the average citizen back home?
I’m confused, and a little annoyed at your jab. I said nothing about the level of law-abidedness of Americans in their home waters, and nor did Moon. If anything, my assumption is that these folk do follow American law. Why would you assume otherwise?

My honest question was to Moon’s claim that “Far more US boats carry guns than you would imagine.” I “imagine” that people visiting foreign lands mostly obey the laws of these lands. He appears to have access to information I do not, so I asked what it might be. This was my honest question.
Old 07-02-2019, 13:17   #29

Boat: Boatless

Mike, my statement is based on 6 years cruising full time in the Caribbean and on confidences from very close friends.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 14:56   #30

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
My ingrained view on cannabis use, for example, is different than in the USA and most other countries.

My visitors from out of state or out of country demand to go to the local pot store just to see what it's all about. It's no big deal here anymore, like buying a 6-pack. I have a different view as you might expect.

Tags
aries, Azores, Canaries, Guns, rib